Easy trick to fill up AND get your veggies!

Options
Hi everyone. I haven't been posting lately, but I'm still here. I just wanted to share a trick that I use almost every day to get lots of veggies, feel full and satisfied and keep the calories low!

I buy a can of the reduced sodium progresso soup, usually the chicken and barley. There are 110 calories per serving, 2 servings per can (I eat the whole can). To the soup I add a bag of steamed veggies. I can't remember who makes the new steam in the bag veggies, but they're so awesome. You just pop the whole bag in the microwave for 5 min and it's done. So, I dump the bag of veggies into my bowl of soup. It's so great!!! I add cayenne pepper to it because I love spicy food.

So, all in all, the whole thing is about 250 calories and it's a ton of food. Enjoy!

Love, Katie

Replies

• katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I haven't been posting lately, but I'm still here. I just wanted to share a trick that I use almost every day to get lots of veggies, feel full and satisfied and keep the calories low!

I buy a can of the reduced sodium progresso soup, usually the chicken and barley. There are 110 calories per serving, 2 servings per can (I eat the whole can). To the soup I add a bag of steamed veggies. I can't remember who makes the new steam in the bag veggies, but they're so awesome. You just pop the whole bag in the microwave for 5 min and it's done. So, I dump the bag of veggies into my bowl of soup. It's so great!!! I add cayenne pepper to it because I love spicy food.

So, all in all, the whole thing is about 250 calories and it's a ton of food. Enjoy!

Love, Katie
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    Hey that's a great idea! I think it's Green Giant that has a wide variety of steamed veggies.
  • anouka
    anouka Posts: 5
    Options
    That's a very good idea -- thank you!
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    that IS a great idea. wtg
  • katiechakos
    Options
    I'm glad you think so! Seriously... this saves me so many times! There's another really tasty soup made by Campbell's called Select. It comes in a sort of a cardboard box. The butternut squash is DELIGHTFUL, and there are only 90 calories per serving (2 per container). If you steam a bag of the broccoli/cauliflower mix and then dump that in the soup, it is just the best. The only problem with this one is the sodium is quite a bit higher... but it's so creamy and good!

Happy Friday everyone!
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I love the butternut squash one....so good.
  • pokerstar
    Options
    I've been seeing some Progresso commercial lately. They're partnering with Weight Watchers. They have some very low and zero "point" soups. I've even thought of doing a "soup" diet or partial soup diet.

But here's the issue: SODIUM. Of course it's fine to have a cup of soup a day, but that alone is in vicinity of 1/3 or more of recommended sodium levels for the entire day.

Good resource for Progresso nutritional info:
    http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/manufacturer/1015.html

My issue is I don't have time to cook much; otherwise, I'd make my own soups. I wish I could find some prepared foods that weren't so high in sodium.
  • katiechakos
    Options
    I've been seeing some Progresso commercial lately. They're partnering with Weight Watchers. They have some very low and zero "point" soups. I've even thought of doing a "soup" diet or partial soup diet.

But here's the issue: SODIUM. Of course it's fine to have a cup of soup a day, but that alone is in vicinity of 1/3 or more of recommended sodium levels for the entire day.

Good resource for Progresso nutritional info:
    http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/manufacturer/1015.html

My issue is I don't have time to cook much; otherwise, I'd make my own soups. I wish I could find some prepared foods that weren't so high in sodium.

Pokerstar, I agree with the sodium comment. Progresso has low sodium soups, though, and they're really good. Check out the "45% less sodium" ones. I'm the same as you... I don't have time to cook my own stuff (or maybe I should say I don't make time). Either way, this is a good alternative.
  • RLCoach
    RLCoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Mine sounds very similar:

1. Use non fat spray and grill 1/2 cup or 3 oz. of fat free ham, fish or chicken, sometimes more than one and sometimes up to 2/3 cup, I cut the meat into small chunks.

2. Boil fresh cut carrots for just a bit and add them to the grilled cut meat and let them grill, add squash, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, frozen peas, each 1/2 cup, all fresh except for the peas. Add a little water (1/4 cup or less) and let them go for awhile at just below high heat. You could add anything that you wanted, this is just what I like. I also add in some seasoning, I like a little cajun spice myself. I also usually add about a 1/2 cup of blackeyed peas or kidney beans for some fiber and more protein.

3. After about 7-8 minutes, I add in only about a 1/4 cup of Progresso Chicken with Wild Rice soup, about 1/2 a serving and let the whole concoction stew for about 5-6 more minutes. I usually drain the mix before eating because the flavor really gets into the rest of the food. This looks like a monstrous amount of food, and it is very filling, I usually put it over a small bed of spinach leaves and I can eat about 3/4 of that and the calories are under 500 and fat is about 3 to 5 grams or less, protein is way up there. It is really good.
  • pokerstar
    Options
    Even the "less sodiums" are about 20% per ONE CUP serving. Darn it.