Zoloft

Options
Does anyone take Zoloft, or any other anti-depressant? They say some can make you gain weight. Has anyone gained weight? I take Zoloft and I realllly don't want to gain weight.

Replies

• capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't take Zoloft, but I am on a medication that is known to cause weight gain and diabetes. It's pretty scary. I haven't really gained much (~10 lbs) but I seem to have a lot more trouble losing weight now. When I mentioned it to my doctor she just told me I need to be more careful how I eat. :grumble:
  • epaphus98
    epaphus98 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had lost a bunch of weight, then I started Prozac and I gained all the weight back pretty quickly. I'm not sure if it was a side effect of the medication that casued me to gain the weight back, or that I was OCD about what I ate and the Prozac got that under control, or if the Prozac just made me stop being concerned about my weight, cause not much bothered me when I was on the medication.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    In the premarketing studies, people lost weight, but in real life it can go either way. Usually whichever way you don't want it to go.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I just started two medications that are suppose to cause weight gain (one is a antidepressant) and I haven't at all and have continue to lose. My doctor says a lot of medication increase your appetite and sometimes that is what they are referring to. If you need the Zoloft then take it and watch what you eat, it will be okay. Start exercising everyday, that really helped my mood too.
  • Mymag
    Mymag Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i just started zoloft for anxiety over the summer, and while i have gained a couple pounds since then, i'm pretty sure it's my own fault :P just stay healthy and you'll be fine!
  • alien4343
    alien4343 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on a low dose of Zoloft (50mg) for quite sometime. I have noticed I have picked up some weight (~15 lbs.), but am not ready to place 100% blame on the drug as I know my depression has an effect on this as well.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    just started zoloft 25mg. interested in this. my doctor said nothing should happen but still intersted. how long did you guys use before you notice weight gain?
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible non-weight-related experience with Zoloft. Take care of yourself and really monitor your mood while on it. <3
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Zoloft makes me gain weight. But, unlike some anti-psychotics, the mechanism of action isn't that it effects you metabolism, but your behavior. It makes many people eat more, or crave carbs more than their usual.

Which means, its controllable.

In studies, even for the folks who gained weight, the average gain was a modest amount...like less than 10 pounds. So, if it actually makes you feel better, you can probably work with a slight increase in the munchies.
  • katismiles
    katismiles Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I take zoloft, it hasn't effected my eating habits at all, but it makes me less anxious.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    i gained weight when i took it. which is why i got off of it (though i shouldn't have gone cold turkey! so horrible!)
  • ilovemyhorse
    Options
    I've been on prozac, celexa and now Zoloft. I take 100mg. I think I gained around 7-8 pounds but I ate whatever I want. Now I exercise EVERYDAY and eat 1,300 calories. I've lost 6 pounds in a week. :]
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I was on Zoloft and Wellbutrin last year. Started them both a couple of months before I started this diet actually. I did have some weight gain in those first few months but Im not willing to say it was the drugs fault. I was in NO way trying to not gain weight. I was in a pretty dark place and food was my go to thing. Anywho.... I was able to successfully lose weight while on them. I dropped down to just Zoloft about 6 months ago and then came off it about 3 months ago. No real changes in weight loss speeds or eating noticed. Like someone else said - it doesnt change your metabolism so you still have the ability to control it if you try really hard
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I tried Celexa, and it made me crazy sick. So the doctor switched me to Zoloft. I'm really bad at remembering to take it though. :ohwell: Plus I wasn't watching my weight/never weighed myself while taking it, but I did go up about 1 size in jeans since I stopped consistently taking it.

So...sorry I don't really have a clear answer to the OP's question, but I'm also interested in this. I'm going to try to get back on track with taking it though, and now that I'm watching my weight, I may have an answer... in a few months. :smile:
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Iam on Prozac and gained about 20-lbs in 5-mth.
  • Mymag
    Mymag Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My sister's taking 150mg of Zoloft every morning, and she lost 20 pounds in the last six months

My other sister takes 100mg, and she hasn't gained any weight since like fourth grade
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat with Zoloft so you don't get nausea. If you aren't used to eating much breakfast, you'll have to cut down your calories at some other meal.