I'm afraid of food...

When trying to eat healthier if you're not open to trying new things you pretty much limit yourself to what you can eat. I'm trying to get into cooking and trying other good healthy foods beside grilled chicken, brown rice, and wheat bread. I'm not a big fish eater but I can eat tilapia and cod.

Anyway I said all that to say....CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT HUMMUS TASTES LIKE? ...LOL

Replies

• Girl you must've read my mind because I'm making hummus tomorrow!! It basically tastes like lightly curried, nutty bean dip. You can add things like roasted red pepper, roasted garlic, spinach and feta cheese and other things to change the flavor. Chickpeas are very mild in taste and absorbs flavors very well. Try a hummus pita sandwich: half a whole wheat pita, sliced cucumbers, sliced tomato, lettuce, three tablespoons of hummus, and a tablespoon of non fat yogurt and a small squeeze of lemon juice. Really refreshing, filling, and low cal!!

Prepared hummus is very expensive and you'll be better off making your own, but get a small container to try it out.
  • Oh, also try the Eating Well website for great recipes.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Hummus tastes like yummy deliciousness!
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Oh, also try the Eating Well website for great recipes.

Thanks for the ideas. That open face sandwhich sounds delicious.
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    "Hummus" is a contraction of two words: "Hummingbird" and "Mucus," which are, of course, the two main ingredients.

And that's pretty much what it tastes like.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Oh my gosh......LMAO....I'm actually munching on rice crisps with hummus right now!!! Soooo good....I could eat hummus with every meal!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Ever had garbanzo beans or chickpeas? It's the principal ingredient.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Hummus tastes like yummy deliciousness!

I agree, its like a party in your mouth of yummy deliciousness
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,640 Member
    hummus really isn't that healthy,even though it is quite delicious, it is 70 calories, 55 from fat for 2 tbsp (thats from the Sabra website). salsa is such a better choice for a snack, only 10 calories, 0 from fat for 2 tbsp.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Hummus is delicious ... it tastes like a combination of its ingredients, i.e., chick peas, olive oil, GARLIC, tahini (sesame seed paste), and lemon. If you like those things individually, you will love hummus. :)
  • Just taste it :) I hate the processed kind but the homemade kind is amazingggggg.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    I just recently tried hummus myself and I love it! I use it on sandwiches instead of mayo and I dip carrots or pretzels in it. I have never tried to make my own.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Hummus is sooooo different depending how you have it. My husband has had one made with yogurt instead of tahini and he can't stand chickpeas. If you want to start off easy on flavor, I suggest trying edimame hummus. It's not as strong as stuff that may have tahini or chickpeas in it.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    I am still a little scared of the edadame though :)
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Its YUMMY!!! I absolutely love hummus. There are different flavors though, so I would try a couple before deciding. I personally love the spicy one and the roasted red pepper... not a big fan of the garlic one though.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    hummus really isn't that healthy,even though it is quite delicious, it is 70 calories, 55 from fat for 2 tbsp (thats from the Sabra website). salsa is such a better choice for a snack, only 10 calories, 0 from fat for 2 tbsp.

I disagree - I think hummus can be a very healthy snack. Its going to vary a lot if you buy something processed - but it is dead easy to make your own then you can control how much oil and salt goes into it and choose a healthier oil like olive oil.

It's true that it is not as low in calories as salsa - but healthy foods don't HAVE to be low in calories - I think that the objective here needs to be to get healthy calories into your body, not to eat as low cal as possible regardless of the nutritional value.

Having said that I'm not knocking salsa - its delicious and it is nice to have something low cal to add extra flavour to your meals and snacks. If it's a purchased salsa I'd be wary of the sodium though.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    looooove hummus. my hubby and i go through at least a package a week. we so need to start making our own.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Ok... Now I'm thinking hummus WITH salsa... This has to be good...