need help with birth control

Options
i want to go back to the IUD to make it easy to not forget but its not recomended with my moon cup help me

Replies

• clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What about implanon? I have one and have only good things to say about it. Progestin-only like the IUD and it stays in for 3 years, so you won't have to worry about birth control for awhile.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I love my IUD. It is not hormonal. I had to google moon cup, didn't know what that was. I don't know how open you are to this thought. When you have your period with an IUD it is much less, almost non existant. If you are concerned about the environment that way, you will be lessening the impact on the environment, by getting an IUD. It sounds like you have had one before, so you kind of know what to expect of your periods at that point. You could also consider the impact of having kids to the environment. :wink: :laugh:

I don't mean to offend you. I don't know what your angle is as to the moon cup as apposed to pads and tampons. If it is a natural thing, environmental or allergy thing.

Best wishes either way.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    I love my IUD. It is not hormonal. I had to google moon cup, didn't know what that was. I don't know how open you are to this thought. When you have your period with an IUD it is much less, almost non existant. If you are concerned about the environment that way, you will be lessening the impact on the environment, by getting an IUD. It sounds like you have had one before, so you kind of know what to expect of your periods at that point. You could also consider the impact of having kids to the environment. :wink: :laugh:

I don't mean to offend you. I don't know what your angle is as to the moon cup as apposed to pads and tampons. If it is a natural thing, environmental or allergy thing.

Best wishes either way.
    i did have it at one point and it kept hurting me but i loved it the bad thing is it fell out and i turned out pregnant a week later
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I just recently switched to Nuvaring and like that I don't have to think about it every single day but can also take it out without a dr's appointment. You keep the ring in for 3 weeks, then leave it out for 1 week for a 'period'. But if you are still bleeding at the end of the 1 week, you still have to put a new ring in on time. It works fine with tampons (you just have to watch out just in case LOL), not sure about using it alongside the moon cup. I went over the FAQs on their website recently and did not see any warning to not use the Nuvaring along with a moon or diva cup, so it might possibly work for you but might be more complicated if you have a couple of days of 'overlap' needing to use both at the same time... Maybe you could do cloth pads on days you're still bleeding but are supposed to put the ring back in? Hmmm.....

(of course this would not be an option to you if you are looking to avoid anything hormonal)
  • alapoint89
    Options
    I just recently switched to Nuvaring and like that I don't have to think about it every single day but can also take it out without a dr's appointment. You keep the ring in for 3 weeks, then leave it out for 1 week for a 'period'. But if you are still bleeding at the end of the 1 week, you still have to put a new ring in on time. It works fine with tampons (you just have to watch out just in case LOL), not sure about using it alongside the moon cup. I went over the FAQs on their website recently and did not see any warning to not use the Nuvaring along with a moon or diva cup, so it might possibly work for you but might be more complicated if you have a couple of days of 'overlap' needing to use both at the same time... Maybe you could do cloth pads on days you're still bleeding but are supposed to put the ring back in? Hmmm.....

(of course this would not be an option to you if you are looking to avoid anything hormonal)
    im taking this birthcontrol that makes my body think that it is pregnant uhhhg its making me sick so i dont want any hormones if possible
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I can definitely understand why you'd want to avoid hormones. Unfortunately, that limits your choices.... You could do a hormone-free IUD and just use something else for your periods, although I know that moon & diva cup users get really attached to them (for good reason) so that might not work for you. Have you considered or looked into the Fertility Awareness Method? It involves tracking your cycle and avoiding intercourse around the time of ovulation (or alternatively you could use condoms/spermicides/etc if you didn't want to completely avoid). It's not for everyone but some women really love it. There is a learning curve to it, though.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I've tried pills, nuvaring, non hormonal IUD, and even the patch that has now been pulled...the best thing that has worked for me with the least side effects is as described above fertility awareness. I'm going on 10 years of marriage and have not gotten pregnant. I am considering permanent options, but don't want to limit my choices in the future...so as of right now, we avoid intercourse during my ovulation. I've talked to my doctor and he agrees that if you are in a committed long term relationship that this type of family planning is generally very successful. I track my cycle like a hawk and it really does seem to work the best for me. I hate the side effects I have experienced with everything else. IUD was probably my favorite, but the pain never did go away for me. Finally I just had it taken out.
  • alapoint89
    Options

Best wishes either way.
    your christmas tree is beautiful
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am on Depo, and I love it. No periods, a shot every 3 months. For me its great... no pill to worry about every day, and the benefits for me outweigh any side effects
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I was on the depo for 3 years.. Best 3 years of my life. I switched the the implanon because I THOUGHT it made me gain a ton of weight, but it didn't at all.

Good luck finding something that makes you feel alright!
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in and say I'm on depo too. No periods. But as with everything it's not for everyone. For me though, I haven't had the horrible mood swings that I did with pills. In fact, it's mellowed me out.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in and say I'm on depo too. No periods. But as with everything it's not for everyone. For me though, I haven't had the horrible mood swings that I did with pills. In fact, it's mellowed me out.

I've had TERRIBLE mood swings since quitting the depo/starting the implanon and I don't know if I should blame the change or not
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Best advice I ever got.... a baby asprin. Put it between your knees and keep it there...

Just kidding... I never found one that I didn't have complications with. Went with watching the calendar and using condoms when needed.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    The first YEAR of Depo was awful. I mean horrible.
    But now it's great!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Why is it not recommended with the moon cup (and by whom)? I've actually read that all menstrual cups are safe to use with IUDs.
  • veganbaum
    Options

Best wishes either way.
    i did have it at one point and it kept hurting me but i loved it the bad thing is it fell out and i turned out pregnant a week later

If you had and IUD and it hurt you in the past why would you want it again?

Here's an explanation from about the mooncup and IUDs:

the Mooncup is perfectly safe to use with an IUD and will not increase the risk of IUD expulsion. Remember to place the Mooncup low down in the vagina and take care to release the seal properly when removing the Mooncup.
    When an I.U.D is first placed, please wait one whole period before using the Mooncup. This will help the I.U.D settle in. Also, it’s a good idea to ask your GP/clinic if they can trim the IUD strings to keep them short. You should continue to check your IUD strings periodically to make sure it hasn't been dislodged.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Nuva ring will not make you sick, I had that problem too, and it is fine with a moon cup!
  • bridgett28
    bridgett28 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So before this posting i didn't know what a moon cup was but like another poster I Googled it. I use NuvaRing and love that I don't have to take a pill everyday -- i take enough pill with the amount of vitamins i have to take since having gastric bypass. I love NuvaRing. I had been on OrthoTriCyclin but it made me hungry all the time. I was on Yaz and it helped with PMDD but i had an issue with taking the pill every day at the same time. But I have used Nuvaring for a littl eover a year before i got pregnant and am now back on it. I like it. I guess it all depends on your preference.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    Why is it not recommended with the moon cup (and by whom)? I've actually read that all menstrual cups are safe to use with IUDs.
    anything with homones my body will not cope with it it just goes on its marry way and ovulates anyway my body is immuned to it that is why i am thinking about going to the IUD again it just hurt a little and i got used to it after a while
  • veganbaum
    Options
    anything with homones my body will not cope with it it just goes on its marry way and ovulates anyway my body is immuned to it that is why i am thinking about going to the IUD again it just hurt a little and i got used to it after a while

You can always try reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility. But I am still wondering who told you that you shouldn't use a mooncup with an IUD?