help! weight lifting newbie

Options
So I really want to start lifting weights...correction: I really need to start lifting weights. I know that it will help me see a difference in my body and feel better, but I hate lifting weights so much. I've done it in the past, but always stop after like two weeks because I find it so tedious and boring and now I don't know where to start. Any suggestions for how to start off adding weight lifting to your routine/how to make it less horrible? o and I guess by weight lifting I really mean strength training, but I suppose that's essentially the same thing...

Replies

• irapino65
    irapino65 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would start by hiring a trainer. Maybe that would help you change you approach to lifting. It may make it more interesting for you as well as help you reach your goals .

Good Luck to you!!
    Rick
  • melissalangelage
    Options
    Body Pump class? It won't bulk you up but it will increase your cardio and strength and it's to fun music!!!

I also agree about a trainer, definitely get one.
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    One way to keep your workouts more interesting and shorter is to do circuit training. Low weights and high reps with little rest. You can be done with a workout in 20 minutes and have it burn enormous amounts of calories as well.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You need:
    1. To learn how to lift,and
    2. To be on a proven beginners program

You could
    1. Higher a trainer: although they can be expensive and most of them suck
    2.Use a book/dvd. Based program. Beautiful Badasses is a great one targeted toward women, The New Rules of Lifting for Women is another one that many on here use.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Body Pump class? It won't bulk you up but it will increase your cardio and strength and it's to fun music!!!

I also agree about a trainer, definitely get one.

You won't bulk up, you're a chick. Do research about form and lift heavy, don't be scared!
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! A trainer is too expensive for me right now, but I just got The New Rules of Lifting for Women from the library so hopefully that will help me out :) Oh and don't worry, I am fully aware that women lifting heavy weights will lead to bulking up. I'm so sick of women using that excuse to avoid lifting weights...my excuse was just that I hate it haha
  • JustinOliver77
    JustinOliver77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I posted a similar question on this site recently, and someone directed me to the following workout, so I figured I would help someone else out and pass it along. I've used it a few times, and I feel like its a great workout and helps with my weight loss goals.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/