Waking Up Full of Awesome (A must read for the girls)

Options
There was a time when you were five years old,
and you woke up full of awesome.

You knew you were awesome.

You loved yourself.

You thought you were beautiful,
even with missing teeth and messy hair and mismatched socks inside your grubby sneakers.

You loved your body, and the things it could do.

You thought you were strong.

You knew you were smart.

Do you still have it?
The awesome.

Did someone take it from you?
Did you let them?
Did you hand it over, because someone told you weren’t beautiful enough, thin enough, smart enough, good enough?
Why the hell would you listen to them?
Did you consider they might be full of ****?

Wouldn’t that be nuts, to tell my little girl below that in another five or ten years she might hate herself because she doesn’t look like a starving and Photoshopped fashion model?
Or even more bizarre, that she should be sexy over smart, beautiful over bold?
Are you freaking kidding me?

Look at her. She is full of awesome.

You were, once. Maybe you still are. Maybe you are in the process of getting it back.

All I know is that if you aren’t waking up feeling like this about yourself, you are really missing out.

Source: http://blog.pigtailpals.com/2011/08/waking-up-full-of-awesome/

Replies

• RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I don't know if we're allowed to post videos I'm new but this reminded me of an awesome poem
    by slam poet Katie Makkai called "Pretty" - must watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6wJl37N9C0
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I love that. And it's so true, in my experience at least. You don't notice the day that you wake up and no longer feel that way, and looking back you can't pin point when exactly it happened...but it did. I want to wake up full of awesome again! :tongue: Thank you for sharing!
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I am all that and a bag of chips...I Ooozze awesome :glasses:
  • jodyjiggles
    Options
    I loved this so much. We all (male or female) need to be reminded that our self-worth must not be based on aesthetics. We all have awesome lying within us.

Thank you. xo.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You don't notice the day that you wake up and no longer feel that way, and looking back you can't pin point when exactly it happened...but it did. I want to wake up full of awesome again! :tongue: Thank you for sharing!
    ^^ I'm pretty sure that point when it happened is called puberty. Teenage girl hormones are a b***h :laugh:
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Luv it...
  • mmparker01
    Options
    Now there is a new way of looking at life...LOVE IT!!!
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I needed that reminder.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful and supportive post!! There was a time when I lost my awesome. But I found it again a few years ago, and now in full force. I have 5 year old twin boys who think they are the best thing since sliced bread. But then again my whole family is. We have a rule at my house that each person has to give a compliment to every other person once a day (and there are 7 of us). Example...good job on your spelling test, that shirt looks great on you, you did a great job doing the dishes, I like the way you cleaned up the mess the dog made ect. It shows appreciation to everyone, and my home runs pretty smooth.

It seems the better everyone feels about how they are doing, the more they want to do! I even get help with laundry without having to ask. I may have to put it back in the dryer to get wrinkles out and refold, but they don't know I do that. Have a healthy day everyone!
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post! This video reaffirms it, we should probably all do this every morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3rK0kZFkg
  • stevemcqueengirl
    stevemcqueengirl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Love it! Very inspiring.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post! This video reaffirms it, we should probably all do this every morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3rK0kZFkg

OMG I think I need to watch that every day! We should feel like that every day...grateful for what we have and who we are!
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    I wanna be AWESOME Toooooooo MEMEMEMME
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    Great Post!!!

I am waking up feeling Awesome more days then not - it's a process.
  • HayleHoot
    Options
    I wasn't full of awesome before reading this but now, I am :smokin:
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, I really needed a pick-me-up today. One of those days :flowerforyou:
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i thought this was about me the one and only Mr. Awesome. I suppose i wont sue for trademark infringement this time