How do I find calories?

Options
Does anyone know of an accurate free calorie counter for foods that are not in the database? I made homemade breaded chicken tenders and I don't know how many calories there are in them. I'm guessing they are all estimated anyway.

Replies

• lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    basically have to break down each ingredient. You can google how many calories per gram, etc. Then weigh each ingredient, add it up, and divide by the # of portions.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    if it's homemade, use the recipe calculator function on this site, it's great! If you are looking for a specific ingredient, just google it.
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    ok. i can't find it anywhere. I mean I used lean chicken breast strips, dipped them in raw egg, rolled it in 4c breadcrumbs with a bit of garlic and oregano and backed it in the oven.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    The recipe calculator here on MFP is awesome for your home-made stuff. I use it a lot, when I actually cook. LOL
  • ImSoOTired
    Options
    so what do i count, the crumbs, the chicken, and the egg?
  • jenuhfur
    Options
    yes.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    though with your breadcrumbs, youll want to subtract the amount you didnt use.
    the last time i made a breaded chicken dish i weighed the crumb mix before and after, and only added what i used to the recipe
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be exact to a "T".

If you used 1 egg, then include 1 egg. Even if you didn't end up using the WHOLE egg. I'm sure you might have used most of it.

Same with the breadcrumbs.. 1/2 cup? Measure how much you poor in the bowl to put on the chicken. Weigh the chicken to find out how much you used. Count how many strips you have and include that in your #'s per portion.

Good Luck.
  • ImSoOTired
    Options
    Thanks. I am going to have to buy a kitchen scale. I'm gonna check amazon.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am going to have to buy a kitchen scale. I'm gonna check amazon.

I have the Escali scale - http://www.amazon.com/Escali-P115C-Digital-Multifunctional-Chrome/dp/B0007GAWRS/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1323309438&sr=8-11

It's a good value in my opinion.