OT: Recommend a hair straightener?

Options
AJCM
AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
Hi MFP Friends,

Can anyone recommend a great flat iron/ straightener? I'm looking for a ceramic / tourmaline one, and I want a good one - but I don't want to drop $150 without some research. Any thoughts? CHI? Herstyler?

Thanks in advance!
Amanda
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• AJCM
    Options
    Hi MFP Friends,

Can anyone recommend a great flat iron/ straightener? I'm looking for a ceramic / tourmaline one, and I want a good one - but I don't want to drop $150 without some research. Any thoughts? CHI? Herstyler?

Thanks in advance!
    Amanda
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    GHD are brilliant. Very smooth, great results, long lasting and can be used to curl hair as well as straighten!
  • mom2one
    Options
    I have one by Paul Mitchell. It cost about $120, however it is definately worth it.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'd just blow out with a round brush and a little straightening balm. You get a much better effect, from root to tip.
  • fullofjoy720
    Options
    I have one by Paul Mitchell. It cost about $120, however it is definately worth it.

i agree
  • jaglover04
    jaglover04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    LOVE MY CHI!! Got it for my birthday and i think it was like 110, but well worth it!!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a Chi. That isn't what I have now...but I've always heard good things. I cannot remember the brand of mine that I have now. I think I paid about $100. But in my opinion, it's worth it. I have naturally curly/wavy hair, but when I want to wear it straight, I want it to be STRAIGHT.

Just don't get one from Walmart. When I was in high school I would use the one I got from there, and I swear I think my hair was frizzier after I used it!
  • AJCM
    Options
    Thanks ladies! :flowerforyou: I'll look them up!
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I have a Chi, and I loooooooove it!!! Just make sure that you get a good straight iron protectant spray, irregardless of which brand you buy... I'm so paranoid about damaging my hair, so I use a hair mask once a week and flat iron protectant every time I flat-iron...
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Tourmaline Ceramic is best. I think I got a Conair at Kohl's for $50 - $60 (? don't remember for sure) If you get one where the edges of the plates are bevelled, you can turn the ends of your hair under or flip them up. I love mine. I also recommend getting some sort of straightening product to help protect your hair from the heat and to make it shiny. Have fun!
  • mRina66
    Options
    I'm a Hairstylist. I dont ever have extra money to spend on tools. Try going to a proffesional beauty supply store like Sallys and see if they have any on sale. I would go for HotTools its actually my fav brand!
  • mRina66
    Options
    oh and definetly go for the protective spray.
  • AJCM
    Options
    I'd just blow out with a round brush and a little straightening balm. You get a much better effect, from root to tip.

Thanks what I do now, and it just doesn't give that same "flatness", and that same look, if you know what I mean! (and I know it DOES work that way... maybe I should just save the money.....)

GHD though - $210!!!!!! I can't do it!!!!!!
    :tongue:
  • clk238
    clk238 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Chi!!!
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    I'm a Hairstylist. I dont ever have extra money to spend on tools. Try going to a proffesional beauty supply store like Sallys and see if they have any on sale. I would go for HotTools its actually my fav brand!

My stylist says that HotTools are the best, too.
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    My sister has a GHD, and loves it, too. The main reason she got it instead of a Chi like mine is because she gets deployed overseas and it came with an electrical outlet adapter... Very handy for her...
  • AJCM
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I need to bite the bullet and buy a good one. I'll head to a beauty supply outlet tonight.
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Tourmaline Ceramic is best. I think I got a Conair at Kohl's for $50 - $60 (? don't remember for sure) If you get one where the edges of the plates are bevelled, you can turn the ends of your hair under or flip them up. I love mine. I also recommend getting some sort of straightening product to help protect your hair from the heat and to make it shiny. Have fun!

I have this one and I like it okay... I paid $50 for it and it works well.. I did get the spray to help from damaging my hair... I use this daily to style my already straight hair. Love it...
  • tuppence41
    Options
    I love the Chi.... my daughter is a great hairdresser and she got me onto them. :smile:
  • yellow_pepper
    Options

Thanks what I do now, and it just doesn't give that same "flatness", and that same look, if you know what I mean! (and I know it DOES work that way... maybe I should just save the money.....)

GHD though - $210!!!!!! I can't do it!!!!!!
    :tongue:

I guess I prefer the look of the round brush - not spaghetti straight but more of a long round arc that has more volume and doesn't look greasy as quickly. But to each her own!