Candy/Artificial Sugar vs. Fruit Sugar

Options
Hey-lo there!

I'm need serious opinions and advice here. I know MFP gives you set numbers for nutrient intake. And I'd like to talk about sugar. I like fruit...and sweet things. But fruit has so many grams of sugar! whats a gurl to do?! should I just ignore the set limit and eat as much fruit as I want? Or try to stay within the limits? :(

I'm confused and want to eat a kiwi x( lol

Replies

• jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Ugh, no reply to this yet? So I don't have any answers, I came looking for answers to the same question.

I'm doing well with my diet, but my sugar intake is always higher than MFP recomments. Reading through my diary over the last few weeks, almost all of the sugar I've consumed is from fruit. I eat between 1 and 3 servings of fruit every day, and it only takes 2 to exceed my sugar allowance.

I did find some info at the link below, but she only talks about how fruit affects calorie limits, she doesn't address sugar within a calorie limit.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/expert.q.a/08/28/fruit.weightloss.jampolis/index.html

Any help, anybody?
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    its a terrible thing to say but in rapid weight loss diets fruit is banned due to the high sugar content.

Im not saying i agree with this as it delivers a huge range of vitamins, fibre energy etc - but for WEIGHT LOSS its not so great ...

everything in moderation i say - but i personally do not have more than once piece of fruit a day.

of course, if you are going to have sugar anyway, fruit is the preference over artificial or other types of sugar, since its natural and delivers what i note above.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    my dietitian told me not to worry about sugars from fruit, but to keep added sugars (cookies, candies, sugar in breads, etc) to 35g a day or less.
  • veggie_1200
    Options
    I heard fructose is NOT bad for you. I think if you eliminate refined sugar but get sugar from fruit, you'll be fine. plus fruit has lots of good vitamins and minerals
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is that when you are eating fruit you are getting your sugar in a neat little package that comes with fibre, vitamins, phytochemicals and lots of delicous flavour.

When you eat candy you are getting highly processed sugar plus a bunch of chemicals that don't give you much at all of nutritional value, you are just getting the energy from the sugar without the other goodies.

So, my opinion is that if most of the sugar in your diet is coming from fruit, veggies, dairy etc then it is a pretty good tradeoff because you are getting lots of nutritional value.

However, I don't think this means that you should go overboard with fruit - Aussie nutritional guidelines suggest 2 fruit and 5 veg each day, which I think is a pretty sensible amount.
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Eh-- 2 apples a day keeps the doctor away! That's my motto. Most fruit has a low glycemic index; so unless you're diabetic or something, then there is no reason to stop eating it.
    As far as real or artificial sweeteners go I try to stay away from them. I never add any real or artificial sugar to my coffee or anything else for the matter. I also try to limit diet sodas and completely stay away from any real soda! I've been able to lose weight even though I eat fruit on a daily basis
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i don't have sugars on my tracker. I eat lots of fruit. i eat zero refined sugar. this last year i have lost 123 lbs.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It all turns to glucose in the body
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay attention, even though my sugar is always over what MFP recommends. Most of my daily sugar comes from fruits/veggies. The only "added sugar" I eat in a day in my daily breakfast of Better Oats Maple & Brown Sugar oatmeal.