Question about food measurement/portion size

Options
When measuring portion size or using a food scale, should I be counting cooked or uncooked food?

For example, if I am cooking pasta, there is a big difference between the cooked and uncooked volume. And spinach! Three cups of uncooked spinach produces about 3/4 cup after I saute it.

Does anyone know?

Replies

• ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm really surprised no one responded to this. Does no one know the answer?
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Pasta, measure uncooked. There is a huge difference.

Spinach it doesn't matter, in my mind, there is hardly any calories in spinach that it's not going to make that much of a difference.

If it comes in a box, measure it out of the box. If it's fresh, it won't matter in most cases.
  • jpapale
    Options
    This is what I'm always confused about too... I'm glad someone commented on it so now I know... i just wish I would've seen it BEFORE my spaghetti dinner last night... I could have eaten a little more. I measured the pasted after it was cooked and it was very little and I was still soooo hungry :)
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    measure pasta dry on scale. 2 oz dry pasta is 1 cup cooked.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    http://www.rd.com/slideshows/what-does-a-serving-size-look-like/
    This gives you a visual of what a size looks like.

I have a food scale. I go by package directions on serving size then decide if I think the serving size they have on the package is a size that fits into my day. If not I cut it.
  • Alexandrea22
    Alexandrea22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you record the right measurement (if you measured 3oz COOKED pasta, make sure you don't select 3oz UNCOOKED pasta), then it shouldn't matter. I usually measure my food cooked and many foods I measure in "cups," but if it's fish, meat, potatoes, etc. I always measure it cooked. Hope that helps!
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's the right answer lol, but I always measure uncooked...

but sometimes you have no choice to measure it any other way than cooked. Let's say I make a box of pasta for the week... I can't uncook it in order to portion it out!

This is a great question!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I measure all my cooked foods (i.e. meats) after they are cooked. That's what I am eating, not the raw version.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's the right answer lol, but I always measure uncooked...

but sometimes you have no choice to measure it any other way than cooked. Let's say I make a box of pasta for the week... I can't uncook it in order to portion it out!

This is a great question!!

Bulk cooking can be a problem when you're cooking for a family, but when it's just for your meals... Divide the total weight of pasta in the box with the number of meals you get out of it. The math will work out right for the week even if you're under or over on any given day. I regularly do that with rice for my lunches: 1 cup dry = 4 meals. I'm on my own for lunch, so I know I'll eventually eat the entire cup.
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I measure all my cooked foods (i.e. meats) after they are cooked. That's what I am eating, not the raw version.

what she said :)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

what she said :)

I don't measure food after it has been cooked unless I have too. There are too many variables with cooked foods and too many unknowns about how foods in the database have been prepared. A little moisture more or less can throw the calorie count way off.
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So many great answers. Thank you all for taking the time to respond.