Breakfast Question

Options

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY agree! I've witnessed this with myself!
  • AprilFool68
    AprilFool68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person that mentioned how many hours it's been since your last meal. That's why it's called breakfast. You are breaking that fasting period from your last meal which could have been many hours before.
  • sdailey4
    sdailey4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The first week of my decision to change my life for healthier living all I did was start eating breakfast and lost 5 lbs that one week. I don't really like to eat, having my body in starvation for years is actually why I am so heavy, but try breakfast for a week or 2 see if there is a difference, if not then don't worry about it, if it helps then there's your answer :D
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I started eating breakfast - something smallish like yogurt - when I started logging on MFP. I think it's been helpful. I'd say try it for a month or two and see how you feel.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that it was true. Maybe start eating a light breakfast? A glass of orange juice and toast or a small bowl of cereal? I love breakfast! When I was in high school I didn't eat it for a while because I was always running out of time in the mornings, but now I am too hungry without it!
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    When i eat a good breakfast, my lunch tends to be lighter, as does my dinner. someone above probably already posted this saying, but "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper"....or something like that LOL.....
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've read that eating breakfast helps to boost the metabolism because you're basically forcing your body to start working earlier in the day.

^^^I BELIEVE IN THIS STATEMENT ^^^^^
  • 4realnowcw
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input on this subject. I think I will start making an effort to grab something in the morning - - - start off slow - - - as many of you mentioned - - like a piece of fruit or a yogurt. I'll start tomorrow!! Thanks again - so happy to get all this feedback. Take care
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Grr SO much misinformation.

Breakfast does NOT boost your metabolism. It will not increase your fat loss simply by changing meal time. Eat when you would like. I save my calories for when I am actually hungry.
  • thesasser
    thesasser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is very important. Not eating regularly can lead to blood sugar increases when you do eat. This can be a contributing factor to diabetes. Try to get in a fruit and something with some fiber and protein. Fiber is important for weight loss and overall GI health. Plus they will help you feel full longer, and maybe you won't need so much coffee! We were actually just discussing this topic in my nutrition classes
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Grr SO much misinformation.

Breakfast does NOT boost your metabolism. It will not increase your fat loss simply by changing meal time. Eat when you would like. I save my calories for when I am actually hungry.

This is correct. Time of day does not matter. This is a tale that will not die. If you like eating in the morning, do. If you don't, it's fine. I don't eat breakfast very often and it hasn't affected me at all.

Please, please, please research this. The only time breakfast is necessary is if it will make you overeat later in the day.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have read that you must eat breakfast due to your body being in a catabolic state from hours of sleep/not eating.
    Once reason why people trying to pack on muscle will drink some casein protein before bed.

And there's the thing about keeping your blood sugar level.

I am not a big breakfast person, but I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast.
    I started losing weight this way, so I just stick to it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I have read that you must eat breakfast due to your body being in a catabolic state from hours of sleep/not eating.
    Once reason why people trying to pack on muscle will drink some casein protein before bed.

And there's the thing about keeping your blood sugar level.

I am not a big breakfast person, but I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast.
    I started losing weight this way, so I just stick to it.

Holy broscience! Not just you're post but this whole thread (except sunshine & contrarian)

You're muscles are not going to fall off if you don't have breakfast/protein in the morning.

Overall calorie intake matters most with regards to weight loss/gain.

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

If you're hungry in the morning, eat breakfast, if you aren't dont.

P.S I haven't eaten breakfast all year.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    the newest from leangains

and i don't eat breakfast or 6 meals a day either

Broscience%2BMeal%2BFrequency%2BDiet%2BThe%2BRock%2Bwww.leangains.com.jpg
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    ^ LOL.

Sounds like it's already been covered but I'll chime in anyways to add my vote :)

Meal frequency has no effect on metabolism and it's not necessary to eat at a specific time for metabolic reasons.

In short, if you want to eat breakfast, eat breakfast and enjoy it! But skipping it is just fine too and it won't damage your metabolism or slow it down to do so.

I eat most of my calories between 6-10pm and then typically I go to bed -- although that's just anecdote.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    LMAO @ ACG!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    7. Myth: Skipping breakfast is bad and will make you fat.

Truth

Breakfast skipping is associated with higher body weights in the population. The explanation is similar to that of lower meal frequencies and higher body weights. Breakfast skippers have dysregulated eating habits and show a higher disregard for health. People who skip breakfast are also more likely to be dieting, thus by default they are also likely to be heavier than non-dieters. Keep in mind that most people who resort to breakfast skipping are not the type that sit around and read about nutrition. They are like most people dieting in a haphazard manner. The type to go on a 800 calorie-crash diet and then rebound, gaining all the weight (and then some) back.

Sometimes, an argument is made for eating breakfast as we are more insulin sensitive in the morning. This is true; you are always more insulin sensitive after an overnight fast. Or rather, you are always the most insulin sensitive during the first meal of the day. Insulin sensitivity is increased after glycogen depletion. If you haven't eaten in 8-10 hours, liver glycogen is modestly depleted. This is what increases insulin sensitivity - not some magical time period during the morning hours. Same thing with weight training. Insulin sensitivity is increased as long as muscle glycogen stores aren't full. It doesn't disappear if you omit carbs after your workout.

Origin

First of all, we have the large scale epidemiological studies showing an association with breakfast skipping and higher body weights in the population. One researcher from that study, commenting on the association with breakfast skipping or food choices for breakfast, said:

"These groups appear to represent people 'on the run,' eating only candy or soda, or grabbing a glass of milk or a piece of cheese. Their higher BMI would appear to
    support the notion that 'dysregulated' eating patterns are associated with obesity, instead of or in addition to total energy intake per se."

Kellogg's and clueless RDs love to cite them over and over again, so people are lead to believe that breakfast has unique metabolic and health-related benefits. In reality, these studies just show breakfast eaters maintain better dietary habits overall.

Other studies frequently cited claiming that breakfast is beneficial for insulin sensitivity are all marred with methodological flaws and largely uncontrolled in design.

In one widely cited study, subjects were entrusted to eat most meals in free-living conditions. The breakfast skipping group ate more and gained weight, which affected health parameters negatively.

From the abstract: "Reported energy intake was significantly lower in the EB period (P=0.001), and resting energy expenditure did not differ significantly between the 2 periods." EB = eating breakfast. In essence, people who ate breakfast could control their energy intake better for the rest of the day. They didn't gain any weight but the breakfast skipping group did. Fat gain always affects insulin sensitivity and other health parameters negatively. Thus what people took this to mean is that breakfast is healthy and improves insulin sensitivity. Which isn't at all what the study showed.

Taken from here:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I eat fairly Large breakfast meals, not because it boost metabolism, but because I'm always hungry :(
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a farm. You eat a good breakfast to give you the energy to work hard until lunch time. I rarely skip breakfast, unless I'm getting blood work or surgery. I tried doing a Tae Bo workout before breakfast one morning and was too weak to finish the workout. I'm a believer that breakfast jump starts my metabolism for the day, gives me energy, and makes me feel better. If I skip a meal, it will be lunch, and I'll usually have an early dinner.