Lisinopril

Options
does anyone know if taking Lisinopril (high blood pressure medication) will cause you to gain weight or retain water?

Replies

• ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for years...only stopped when I got prego...then back on them. They didn't affect my weight that I noticed
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i don't know but my husband takes that med and i like to see the answer also since he is struggling with weight gain after open heart surgery.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    it supposedly has a diuretic in it, but it's not really enough to make a difference to where you're running to the bathroom on an hourly basis.

(I was a pharmacy tech for 5+ years.... plus, I'm currently on it.)
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    it is sometimes mixed with a "water pill" as you will retain otherwise!!
  • superflyrbi
    superflyrbi Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Not that I've noticed. Though I've started exercising and eating better since I started Lisinopril and I am losing weight.
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    lisinopril is a ACE inhibitor - it stops you're lungs from converting angiotensin 1 to angiotension 2

angiotensin 2 does 3 things

1) increases thirst
    2) causes direct vasoconstriction (venous - increasing blood return to the heart)
    3) pumping aldosterone (retains sodium and water)

without angiotensin 2 - you will lose water (though not to the point of dehydration you have 2 main water saving hormones) and you will decrease your blood pressure - the main negative effect of a pril to working out would be the bradykinin accumulation causing a chronic cough you cant get rid of

<-- 3rd year med student, just so you know im not wikipediaing lol
  • chrisfnet
    Options
    (PharmD Candidate Speaking)

No, lisinopril should not cause fluid retention. To be a responsible pharmacist I should ask, why are you asking? Are you noticing fluid retention?

Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor. It inhibits angiotensin converting enzyme - decreasing the body's RAAS response. Essentially, it helps the kidney and decreases systemic vasoconstriction.

You should message me if you're having issues - you may need to speak to your physician.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for years in a very low dose in a combo with HCTZ which is a diuretic. I didn't gain when I started taking it and have since lost 50 pounds, which is making me wonder if I still need it... time for another physical I think!
  • huck23
    huck23 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No it hasn't, I am now on lisinopril-hctz and hope to get off my medication when I go to the doctor tomorrow, but otherwise I have lost weight despite the medication:smile:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    it supposedly has a diuretic in it, but it's not really enough to make a difference to where you're running to the bathroom on an hourly basis.

Plain lisinopril does not have a diuretic in it.

There are combo drugs that DO combine the two though. The combo pills have the diuretic added for an "extra boost" to further reduce BP.

Lisinopril should not cause water retention or weight gain.
  • SpeedBump1
    SpeedBump1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I was on it, I did not gain or retain water. I did get uncontrollable coughs.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My husband has been taking it for a few years now and he now has low sodium. I'm not sure that it's related to the drug, I think it's a conincidence.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    No, Lisinopril on its own should not cause you to retain water. The reason it is often mixed with a "water pill" as someone else mentioned is because the two drugs work very well together to help reduce blood pressure, not because the one is meant to counteract the other. (FWIW, I am a pharmacist)
  • chrisfnet
    Options

Plain lisinopril does not have a diuretic in it.

There are combo drugs that DO combine the two though. The combo pills have the diuretic added for an "extra boost" to further reduce BP.

Lisinopril should not cause water retention or weight gain.

Actually, the principal reason why hydrochlorothiazide was added in combination with lisinopril was to antagonize the effect that lisinopril has on potassium levels. Lisinopril can result in hyperkalemia (high potassium) due to the effect that it has on aldosterone. Hydrochlorothiazide results in the excretion of potassium which helps to counterbalance the effect of the lisinopril.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    My husband has been taking it for a few years now and he now has low sodium. I'm not sure that it's related to the drug, I think it's a coincidence.
    Hm, that's interesting I was on it for awhile until no longer needed to be. (after losing 100+ they dropped me off everything pretty much.. YAY!). Each time I take a test it shows low sodium now......

Hm, now that makes me curious! What does the Doc have him do for it? If it continues I'm supposed to cut back on water a bit. I do so love :love: my water so I'd hate to do that.:sad:

Whatever is best though..... it's highly possible I just plain drink TOO much water some days. But I spend a lot of time in aqua sports Zumba etc. and that definitely leaves me feeling parched.

Some very interesting feedback on this question. I appreciate the Pharm techs identifying themselves and sharing too.:wink:

When I was on it I had no issues that I'm aware of, I lost weight because I began changing my eating and working out.

:drinker: <<~~running to get more water:blushing: :bigsmile:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    My husband has been taking it for a few years now and he now has low sodium. I'm not sure that it's related to the drug, I think it's a coincidence.
    Hm, that's interesting I was on it for awhile until I know longer needed to be. (after losing 100+ they dropped me off everything pretty much). Each time I take a test it shows low sodium......

Hm, now that makes me curious! What does the Doc have him do for it? If it continues I'm supposed to cut back on water a bit. I do so love :love: my water so I'd hate to do that.:sad:

Whatever is best though..... it's highly possible I just plain drink TOO much water some days. But I spend a lot of time in aqua sports and that definitely leaves me feeling parched.

Some very interesting feedback on this question. I appreciate the Pharm techs identifying themselves and sharing too.

When I was on it I had no issues that I'm aware of, I lost weight because I began changing my eating and working out.

:drinker: <<~~running to get more water:blushing: :bigsmile:

hmmm....sounds like you shouldn't be drinking so much water???:flowerforyou:
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I was on it for 2 years. I had no impact on weight or water retention directly.

Indirectly it was one of the motivators for me to get off my @$$ and lose the weight so I did not need the medication any longer. So, yeah. In a way it impacted my weight.
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    any ace inhibitor lowers aldosterone - aldosterone is responsible for retaining sodium and shunting potassium

when you are low on aldosterone ( as you will be when you are on lisinopril) your body will be low on sodium and retaining potassium - which is why HCTZ is added as stated above

so low sodium is expected
  • chrisfnet
    Options
    shunting

That's how I can tell you're in medical/pharmacy school.
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a couple years. I got pancreatitis a year and half ago & then they also had to remove my gallbladder. The docs & surgeons concluded that it was most likely from the lisinoprl. They took me off of it and now I am on amlodopine & hctz...I am going back in few weeks will see about lowering or getting off as I have lost 65 pounds...