Balancing Carbs, Protein, and Fats

Options
Hello all.

So I'm a child. A young'n. Still growing. 18, basically. I usually strive to eat from 1000-1400 calories a day, regardless of exercise. And that's cool and all. I'm losing at a good pace.

My thing is: I'm working more for fat loss than reduction poundage (although, gotta say, fan of both). My cardio is mainly running, so that should be doing its job. But I'm hopeless with food. I have no clue how I'm supposed to manage my calories. MFP gave me general values but I don't know if they're effective. I reset them to 50% carb, 20% protein, and 30% fat, but I overeat on carbs almost every day. Is that doing me any harm? I just don't know, man.

Basically, for a young woman who runs every day and wants to lose fat, what percentage of calories should come from carbs, protein, and fats?

Replies

• zviolinick
    Options
    Hey! I am also 18 and I struggled with my macronutrient ratios for a while. There's multiple distributions you can use for different goals. If you are trying to shed some serious pounds, I would recommend a higher protein consumption (40% protein, 35% carbs, 25% fats). If you feel like you don't have enough energy, I would increase your carb intake 5 or 10% and lower your protein to 30 or 5%. If you feel like you are pushing your workouts/runs to the max and are doing intense exercise everyday, I would stick with a higher carb diet (50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fats). Honestly, different ratios work for different people so experiment with your body and see what works best for you. Just make sure those carbs are complex (whole grains, fruit, vegetables, legumes, etc). I hope I helped! let me know how you do!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Don't use ratios

try and get 1g of protein per lb of lbm and somewhere in the range of .35-.45g of fat per lb of bodyweight. fill in the rest of your cals however you please

and overeating carbs is only "bad" per se if it keeps you from hitting your daily minimums in protein and fats (there is no minimum for carbs as it's a non essential macronutrient)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Listen to Acg. He knows what he's talking about.

It takes a lot of practice to figure out how to hit those goals. I know I definitely ate more carbs in the past. Now it's not as big an issue because I know what fits.
  • zviolinick
    Options
    Don't use ratios

try and get 1g of protein per lb of lbm and somewhere in the range of .35-.45g of fat per lb of bodyweight. fill in the rest of your cals however you please

and overeating carbs is only "bad" per se if it keeps you from hitting your daily minimums in protein and fats (there is no minimum for carbs as it's a non essential macronutrient)
    I find it funny how you say not to use ratios when the "1g of protein per lb of body weight" is subjective as well. Everyone has different needs. Overeating on carbs is not wise because they won't keep you feeling nearly as full as lean proteins except for high fiber carbs like legumes. Honestly, do whatever works. there is no "right" way to eat as people may preach. Try different methods and see which ones you like the best!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Don't use ratios

This was the first thing that came to my mind......But, I think this may be a BIT too complicated for her.......
  • Acg67
    Options
    Don't use ratios

I find it funny how you say not to use ratios when the "1g of protein per lb of body weight" is subjective as well. Everyone has different needs. Overeating on carbs is not wise because they won't keep you feeling nearly as full as lean proteins except for high fiber carbs like legumes. Honestly, do whatever works. there is no "right" way to eat as people may preach. Try different methods and see which ones you like the best!

Your body doesn't care what % intake you have. It works based on sufficient quantity per lean mass or total mass. and where did i say it was fine to overeat carbs? it's only bad if you are missing out on your minimums for protein and fats, assuming you're hitting those you can eat carbs till your hearts content if it fits within your calorie goals
  • zviolinick
    Options
    Don't use ratios

Your body doesn't care what % intake you have. It works based on sufficient quantity per lean mass or total mass. and where did i say it was fine to overeat carbs? it's only bad if you are missing out on your minimums for protein and fats, assuming you're hitting those you can eat carbs till your hearts content if it fits within your calorie goals
    which virtually translates into some kind of ratio, assuming there are "minimums" for proteins and fats as you just put it.
  • Acg67
    Options

which virtually translates into some kind of ratio, assuming there are "minimums" for proteins and fats as you just put it.

a ratio puts a ceiling on each macro, shooting for minimums does not. the reason for shooting for for 1g of pro per lb of lbm is to avoid a negative nitrogen balance and the reason for shooting for a min of .3-.45g of fat per lb of bodyweight is to ensure you are getting enough fats for various functions such as hormonal regulation.

If you were to look at studies dealing with protein intake, they are always set up using a certain g of protein per kg or lb of bodyweight or lbm. they don't use ratios

come-at-me-bro-baby-turtle.jpg