Vegetarians eating clean, how do you get your protein?

Options
AH2013
AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
Quick question. I recently joined the Nerd Fitness revolution and after spending almost an entire day fixated on the website and reading related material, I've changed my macros to 20/40/40 (carbs/fat/protein).

I'm only a few days into it, and therefore easing myself in slowly, but how, as a vegetarian, can we possibly eat 40% protein? Has anyone tried this and changed their macros or found a great way to eat clean but get as close as you can to the 40% mark? Currently I am eating peanut butter, nuts, cheese, meat substitute and isopure carb free protein drinks (which I know are not clean but, like I said, I'm easing into it gently!) to get my protein.

Any hints will be gratefully received! :smile:

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    cottage cheese and greek yogurt are ridiculously high in protein for dairy. also, lentils and black beans. they'll help you get the fiber that goes missing when we nix carbs. its important to get enough fiber when you increase protein to keep everything flowing,
  • jnanof
    jnanof Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    plain Greek yogurt has more protein and less carbs than flavored. You can add some fruit if you want to it (increase the carbs a bit too). I add some crystal light but you seem like you are trying to avoid artificial flavorings.
    Its hard to meet a high protein goal WITH meat. I find i need to add a protein shake in addition to lean meat.
    I also agree with the need to watch the fiber.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Tofu! Tempeh! Seitan! TVP! Soymilk! Lentils! Legumes! Quinoa!

Also, there are some great vegan protein powders out there - a mix of 75% Gemma Pea and 25% Brown Rice gets great protein bang for your buck. Mix it up with some fruit....yum.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but you can buy protein powder made from hempseed, pea or soy (not a big fan of soy).
  • psoshkin
    psoshkin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have lots of protein, such as Spinach, kale, avocados, apricots, etc.....google protein rich vegetables and fruits.....:flowerforyou:
  • AH2013
    Options
    cottage cheese and greek yogurt are ridiculously high in protein for dairy. also, lentils and black beans. they'll help you get the fiber that goes missing when we nix carbs. its important to get enough fiber when you increase protein to keep everything flowing,

Cottage cheese, never thought of that....and lentils and black beans, yumm! I eat a tonne of veg too! Unfortunately living in the Middle East I don't have access to things like hempseed or pea protein powder, but that sounds awesome and I might get someone to get some for me from UK or US next time we have visitors. I'm going to keep an eye on my fibre too....thanks for the heads up on that! Usually I'm over my fibre every day but if I'm changing things I had better keep a watch on that.

Thanks all, awesome help!
  • Cr0wned_Dynam0
    Options
    I don't always meet my protein target, but Tofu (especially sprouted), Quinoa, Flax, Bob's Red Mill Whey Protein Concentrate, Kefir, and Cottage Cheese are all good options. 1 Cup of plain Kefir has 14 grams of protein, pair that with 1/4 Cup of the Whey Protein, you have a protein smoothie with 30 grams of protein, and some berries and you practically have a meal!
  • AH2013
    Options
    Vegetables have lots of protein, such as Spinach, kale, avocados, apricots, etc.....google protein rich vegetables and fruits.....:flowerforyou:

Spinach!! I don't eat much spinach at the moment so thanks for that, I'll add that to this weeks shopping list. I eat a tonne of veg at the moment, but missing some spinach and avocados now you mention it! Thanks!!!
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you would want to go 20/40/40, but Plantfusion is a fairly tasty veg protein powder.
  • AH2013
    Options
    I don't know why you would want to go 20/40/40, but Plantfusion is a fairly tasty veg protein powder.

It's only because I want to do low carb, and like I said in the first post, I was following Nerd Fitness to eat low carb, high protein and reasonably high good fats. Go to the website and have a read for yourself. :)
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Here's a nice list with grams of protein per 100 calories:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

Added onto that: greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese
  • 1234IWORKOUT5678
    Options
    When I was vegetarian for a while I ate seitan. I grounded it up and used it as taco meat and spaghetti. It was really good!
  • leopardvice
    Options
    edamame is delicious and has some protein
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    I struggle with protein too so I'll be keeping an eye on this for ideas :wink:
  • Plingie
    Plingie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't forget HUMMUS! Yuuummmm
  • AH2013
    Options
    Don't forget HUMMUS! Yuuummmm

LOVE hummus, in fact I had it for my lunch today with carrot and cucumber...however my portion says 4g of protein....not much when my daily goal for protein is 174...hence my problem :(

Thanks anyway! :)
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Curious to see the answers. I have recently stopped eating meat with the exception of fish. No reason. Just woke up one morning and didn't have a taste for it. But trying to get enough protein in is a challenge. Don't want to drink 3-4 protein shakes a day. That won't fill me up.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Quinoa!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If not vegan milk, cottage cheese, and greek yogurt are all pretty calorie (and cost) efficient ways to get your protein requirements in. I'm also partial to the Cytosport protein mix available at Costco.
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I hardly eat dairy as my body has a hard time processing it, but some of my favorite protein sources are 'Beyond Organic Raw Protein Powder' which I blend into smoothies. Since you do eat dairy, blending this with some fruit and greek yogurt would be pretty high in protein. I also like to eat some non-GMO baked tofu, and tempeh. Other than that, nuts, avocado, lentils and quinoa, and even dark green vegetables have some protein.