I don't like vegetables

Options

Replies

• Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Snap :smile:

Have you tried asparagus? It's one of my favourites. Just don't overcook it.

OMG! Love asparagus!:love:
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I didn't like vegetables when I was younger and never ate them when I was very obese, but as I grew up (say when I hit about 21/22) I started to enjoy them a lot more
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I find this topic very interesting! I often wonder what people, that are looking out for their health, eat when they dont like vegetables?? My sister-in- law claims that she wont touch a vegetable and feels that she is healthy regardless. Honestly, just because you are skinny, does not make you healthy!!! Yes, you may be feeling ok now but I truley believe those who dont eat some veggies in some way, shape, or form will suffer the consequences as they age!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone rip on others if they do not eat vegetables? I do not have a hunger problem and take a vitamin. So why is everyone so harsh? I like fruits, but have yet to try a vegetable I do like

Because, in essence eating fruit alone is not enough to get your vital vitamins and minerals and people are showing concern...some in less kind / soft words than others.

You can't get the vitamins and minerals you need alone from fruit, nor tablets/pills etc. The reason being that the way the body works is to absorb minerals and vitamins is from food and certain foods aid the absorption of certain vitamins etc... for example... Vitamin C aids iron absorption. In addition, there aren't sufficient quantities of all these in every food. And the colours of food - namely fruit and vegetable have an impact on what sort of nutrients they are going to deliver, for example, red stuff contains lycopene which helps fight against free-radicals which WILL reduce your risk of cancer, Oranges and yellows contain selenium which is vital for your skin, hair, eyes and nails. Dark green leafy veg contain iron which is essential for healthy red blood cell production - in particular haemoglobin...

So there you have it laid out. It's also quite immature to not eat your veg... You don't live to eat... you eat to live. AT least you should eat to live.. then add in a few niceties and make it as pleasant and to your taste as possible.
  • jofromnz
    jofromnz Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite veges is asparagus (as others have mentioned!) - I had some for lunch today - lightly boiled than I added salt and pepper and some balsamic vinegar - I also added some cooked zucchini too and it was so yummy. Came out at less than 100 calories too (of course I had some other things for lunch too!). Next time I will also add muchrooms too I think - a nice bog bowl of this - kind of like a roast vege salad!!! Filling but doesn't weigh you down!
  • Maryee71
    Maryee71 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Oven roasted veggies taste so much sweeter and have a different flavor than steaming.
    I use my toaster oven since I just cook for me. Take some asparagus and drizzle a little
    olive oil on it and put it in the oven at 350 for 10 min. You can do that with most any vegetable

When my boys were young they didn't think they wanted most veggies. I would take and run
    things in the blender then add to meat loaf or casseroles. They never knew the difference.
    It's just a way of having some veggies in your diet. It would help you get some good fiber in
    your diet.

It sounds like you've never been exposed to different foods. Eating school cafeteria foods leaves
    a little something to be desired. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.:drinker:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Grated zuccini is great (haha, I'm so punny today!) as it disappears into all kinds of things. You can put it in spaghetti sauce or tuna patties or meatballs and you can't taste anything different (just don't get freaked out if you can see green bits in there, they are reallyl very good for you!) You can do the same thing with carrot too.

Or how about a nice zuccini slice - this makes a great lunch with a green salad on the side:
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/5546/zucchini+slice
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Wow, that really limits you on what you can eat.
    I love myself a good stir fry or a huge salad filled with all the yummy vegetables I can find.
    I hope you find some that you like :smile:
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I used to be a carrot and peas kind of girl. Didn't like any others and for the longest time didn't eat any others. Then when I was pregnant with my first I started craving tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches lol. Never liked sweetcorn before but loved it ever since then.

It's definitely worth trying things every now and again as tastes do change. My veggies are still quite limited but I now eat peas, carrots, sweetcorn, parsnips, butternut squash, mushroom and peppers. Which I never used to eat when I was younger.

But at the end of the day you are an adult and if you don't like something, don't eat it :o)
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    bump, amazing list, Hearts desi
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    One thing you could try is the V-8 juices. I personally despise the one that tastes like vegetable soup, but the fruit and veggies are good and fruity tasting!
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I find this topic very interesting! I often wonder what people, that are looking out for their health, eat when they dont like vegetables?? My sister-in- law claims that she wont touch a vegetable and feels that she is healthy regardless. Honestly, just because you are skinny, does not make you healthy!!! Yes, you may be feeling ok now but I truley believe those who dont eat some veggies in some way, shape, or form will suffer the consequences as they age!

I agree, we should all be eating at least 1 pound of veggies for every 50lbs you weigh daily. So I weigh 173lbs, I should be having at least 3-4 pounds of veggies a day. My opinion, a healthy person has lots of vegetables, lean protein and good fats (no processed foods) not because someone is skinny.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My favorite "vegetable" in the salad used to be croutons when I was a kid.

Many many years later, I love vegetables.

Maybe your tastes will change over time.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I honestly detest the vegetables that are the most good for u like the dark, leafy green ones....but like everyone says incorporate them into your diet "invisibly"....add them to pasta sauce and soups...and vegatable like broccoli and peas and bok choy, peppers and onions all so good in a nice stir fry and it you use the right sauce they taste soooooo mcuh better.....oven roasted vegetables with a little olive oil is amazing like turnips and squash and sweet potatoes.....sometimes u just have to get past the "taste" of the vegetable and put the idea that you are seriously helping your body by eating these wonderful vegetables....thats what I have to do....
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    "Why does everyone rip on others if they do not eat vegetables?"

Geesh, I hate this idea that anyone would receive well-intentioned criticism this way. Sure it's nice to hear 'WTG' and 'Nice job!', but don't you want honest feedback for OPTIMAL results? Why are you here?

I think you can totally avoid being 'zipped' upon by simply closing your diary, or simply using this site as a tracker and not having friends. I think you have to be living in a cave to have not heard that lab-synthesized vitamins can't possibly have all the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and other possibly undiscovered good stuff in vegetables.

I have had people criticize my food diary, and I always RESEARCH what they are saying. It's called 'expanding your world.' Try it sometime.
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    None of these? I've not even in my lifetime had a chance to try every veggie.. It makes me sad when a person says they don't like ANY veggies.. hard to understand how someone could have tried every single one of them and not liked one.:flowerforyou:

What sorts of things do you like on your Pizza?

Dark green vegetables

bok choy
    broccoli
    collard greens
    dark green leafy lettuce
    kale
    mesclun
    mustard greens
    romaine lettuce
    spinach
    turnip greens
    watercress

Red & orange vegetables

acorn squash
    butternut squash
    carrots
    hubbard squash
    pumpkin
    red peppers
    sweet potatoes
    tomatoes
    tomato juice

Beans and peas*

black beans
    black-eyed peas (mature, dry)
    garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
    kidney beans
    lentils
    navy beans
    pinto beans
    soy beans
    split peas
    white beans

Starchy vegetables

cassava
    corn
    fresh cowpeas, field peas, or black-eyed peas (not dry)
    green bananas
    green peas
    green lima beans
    plantains
    potatoes
    taro
    water chestnuts

Other vegetables

artichokes
    asparagus
    avocado
    bean sprouts
    beets
    Brussels sprouts
    cabbage
    cauliflower
    celery
    cucumbers
    eggplant
    green beans
    green peppers
    iceberg (head) lettuce
    mushrooms
    okra
    onions
    parsnips
    turnips
    wax beans
    zucchini

Beet - Tubers with rich nutty flavours. A sweet variety of beet is grown commercially in europe and asia for sugar manufacture.

Broccoli - green and delicious and full of vitamins

Brussels sprouts - traditionally eaten with Christmas Dinner in the UK

Cabbage - the king of vegetables. Easy to grow almost anywhere

Carrot - Introduced by the Romans, carrots have been popular for 2000 Years

Cauliflower - White relative of broccoli

Celeriac - a large knotted ball-like root vegetable which makes amazing nutty soups

Celery - Slightly bitter (unless blanched) european stalks with a distinctive flavour, used in salads, stews and soups.

Chard - green leafy vegetable

Chicory - bitter vegetable

Collards - This leafy green vegetable is also known as tree-cabbage and is rich in vitamins and minerals.

Corn - North American native vegetable considered sacred by many native tribes. Confusingly corn is also the word used to describe the seeds of wheat and barley.

Cress - small peppery sprouts

Cucumbers - related to courgettes and traditionally used raw in salads. The cucumber grows quickly and holds lots of water

Gourds - The common name for fruits of the Cucurbitaceae family of plants (members include cucumbers, squashes, luffas, and melons).

Jerusalem Artichoke - It isn't an Artichoke and it doesn't come from Jerusalem. The jersalem Artichoke is actually related to the sunflower. The bit we eat is an ugly little tuber (like a small thin potato) that tastes amazing. It has a smoky taste that really excites the palette.

Kales - Until the Renaissance, kale was the most common green vegetable eated by the people of northern Europe

Kohlrabi - Kohlrabi is a member of the turnip family and can be either purple or white.

Leek - The national vegetable of Wales.

Lettuce - lots of green leaves used as a mainstay of salads. Varieties such as round, isberg, lollo rosso and radichio are popular.

Melons - Wonderful fruits with a high water content. There are many farmed varieties . All have seeds surrounded by rich, watery but sweet flesh that is encased in a fairly hard shell.

Mushrooms - not technically a vegetable, but a far older member of the plant kingdom. Mushrooms do not use sunlight to produce energy, hence they have a completely different range of tastes than any other vegetable. Did you know that the largest single living organism on earth is a mushroom called Armillaria Ostoyae, the biggest of which is up to 8,500 years old and carpets nearly 10 square kilometres of forest floor in northeastern Oregon, USA.

Okra also called 'ladies fingers' or gumbo is a wonderful pungent vegetable from the same family as hollyhock. It probably was first cultivated in Ethiopia and is still a North African staple, but has become popular in Europe, Asia and America too.

Onions Onions have been eaten for tens of thousands of years and we still aren't bored of them.

Parsnips The sweet, starchy parsnip was a very popular european vegetable before the arrival of potaoes and Sugar Cane from the Americas. Although not the prize it once was, the Parsnip is a classic root vegetable, particularly popular in more northern lattitudes.

Peas - best eated within minutes of picking as the sugars rapidly turn to starch. Therefore frozen peas often taste better than 'fresh' peas.

Peppers - These are the fruit of the Capsicum family of plants. The hotter tasting ones (due to more Capsaicinoids in the flesh) are usually refered to as chillis.

Potatoes - Nothing finer than a steaming plate of mashed potatoes. An american staple crop that as been exported all over the world.

Pumpkins - A popular gourd vegetable used in cooking and to make halloween jack o lanterns.

Radicchio - a chicory leaf used in salads. Popular since ancient times, modern widescale cultivation of the plant began in the fifteenth century close to Venice in Italy.

Radish - rich in ascorbic acid (vitamin C), folic acid (folate), and Potassium, the raddish is a peppery vegetable popular in western and asian cookery. We usually eat the taproot, but the leaves can also be eaten in salads.

Rhubarb - A plant with large leaves that grow out of thick succulent stems with a very particular floral scent. These stems are popularly eaten as a fruit once sweetened and cooked. Rhubarb was originally native to China but has been popular in Europe since Roman times.

Rutabaga - Alternative name for Swede

Shallots - Small onions often with a more fiery bite.

Spinach -large green leaves wilt easily in a pan and are often served with a little butter and nutmeg as an accompanying vegetable. Spinach contains lots of healthy trace minerals including iron

Squash another generic name for fruits of the vine of the Cucurbitaceae family of plants (see also Gourds). Butternut Squash has recently grown in popularity in the United Kingdom.

Swede - Apparently a cross between cabbages and turnips swedes are a low calory root vegetable

Sweetcorn - a north american native plant loved throughout the world.

Sweet potato Ipomoea batatas (related to the morning glory) produces a starchy tuber. In the USA the red variety of sweet potato is often called a yam, although yams are a seperate vegetable in their own right.

Tomatoes - not technically a vegetable, but a fruit. Tomatoes are best grown yourself because the uniform flavourless powdery fruits available in supermarkets are not worth eating.

Turnips - Root vegetable will grow in cold climates.

Watercress - very peppery small salad like leaves

Watermelon - Sweet tasting gourd reaches enourmous size and definitely the most refreshing fruit there is.

Yams - Sweet starchy tuber that are popular in African, Carribean and American cookery

We hope this alphabetical list of vegetables is of use to you.

bump - wanna keep this list handy! Thanks!
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I used to HATE green beans. Then my husband cooked them for me one day. He simmer crushed garlic in oil with sugar, then throws in the green beans, adds more sugar to taste, and it tasted like candy! (not healthiest recipe, but tasty!)
    I'm not a huge vegetable person, and it's hard for me to try new ones since I have some food allergies. But honestly, as long as you get the nutrients you need somewhere you shouldn't be harassed for it. I drink the low sodium V8 juice that gives you servings of both if I really don't feel like eating my veggies.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It's all about how they are prepared. If you've only eaten them from a can or only had an iceberg lettuce/tomato salad, then you are missing out. Try them steamed or stir fried. Yummmm. Also organic local veggies taste better to me- once they've been sitting in a supermarket for ages, they lose their flavors. There are a million amazing recipes for seasoning veggies that anyone would be crazy not to like.

You need the enzymes, vitamins and minerals from veggies... you just can't get that from a vitamin tablet.

Do you like lemonade? Try a green lemonade- if you have a juicer. http://www.elanaspantry.com/green-lemonade/. You can't even taste the greens, only the lemon and sweetness of the apple. Mmmmm.

I like the alphabet list of veggies the previous poster shared. There are soooo many veggies, how can you not like ANY?
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you don`t like vegetables they make these juices that have vegetables and fruits mixed in. You don`t taste the vegetables, but all of what is good from them is in the juice. You can check it out in the juice section at Walmart.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    "Why does everyone rip on others if they do not eat vegetables?"

Geesh, I hate this idea that anyone would receive well-intentioned criticism this way. Sure it's nice to hear 'WTG' and 'Nice job!', but don't you want honest feedback for OPTIMAL results? Why are you here?

I think you can totally avoid being 'zipped' upon by simply closing your diary, or simply using this site as a tracker and not having friends. I think you have to be living in a cave to have not heard that lab-synthesized vitamins can't possibly have all the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and other possibly undiscovered good stuff in vegetables.

I have had people criticize my food diary, and I always RESEARCH what they are saying. It's called 'expanding your world.' Try it sometime.

I just wonder why do people even care what someone else is eating? I don't. Not at all. I eat what I like and don't give a rip what someone else chooses to eat. Just because someone doesn't care for most veggies doesn't mean they aren't healthy, don't care about their health, are childish or anything else - you like what you like. Plain and simple. I guess I just don't see why people care what someone else is eating. I despise broccoli and I see a lot of people eat it - should I criticize them for wanting to eat it? No. It is personal choice.

I've had blood work run, had tests done and am in excellent health. I don't eat a ton of veggies because I just don't care for them.