Looking for EBFing friends who are trying to lose lbs

Options
I've been EBFing since I had my baby in august and have not been able to lose weight even with a healthy diet, and steady exercise. I work in retail and am constantly lifting heavy freight to stock empty shelves also, so it's not like I am slacking on effort. I have recently read alot of articles on how hard it is to lose weight while BFing because your body either still thinks your preggers or is still in hormal flux. Does anyone have any suggestions to as if either of these is true or ways to lose weight while still BFing my baby?

Replies

• supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    You might be too low in cals. If you are EXCLUSIVELY breastfeeding, you are burning 500-1000 cals a day just by making milk. Oso instead of your regular eaily burn being 1800 or whatever, it's more like 2300-2800.
    Drink a tall glass of water when you sit down to feed Baby or pump, maybe with a fruit or veggie.

I lost 20# without trying EBF'ing my last one, then went on to lose another chunk of weight (even started jogging) while BF'ing my baby when she started eating solids. In fact, I would give her pieces of my fruit in the morn, some of my veggies in the afternoon, and whatever healthy carb at night. She eats really well, now, and isn't even 4 yet.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It's really individualized. They always say you lose weight easier if you do BF, but I know people who have a hard time losing weight until they stop. And there are people who BF and lose all the weight super quick.

It isn't that your body thinks it is still pregnant, it's that producing milk takes a lot of work/burns calories, so does growing a baby. So the theory is that hormones stay in flux until you are no longer EBFing because it is difficult to do that, feed yourself and grow another baby at the same time. The hormones being different helps to prevent another pregnancy until you are done EBFing. Theoretically.

Also I don't know how much you eat, but you might not be getting enough calories. If you look in the food log there are entries for BFing that subtract calories from your daily total. Because you really don't keep all the calories you eat for yourself. Not eating enough calories would cause your body hold onto fat because it knows it needs to feed your baby.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i stopped BFing a few weeks ago just before my daughters first birthday. When she was ebf I found I was very hungry all the time, and actually put on weight after losing the weight i put on during pregnancy. I didnt start losing weight until she started eating as well as I BF less. I think it just depends on the person. I still managed to lose 40+lbs while BFing so it can be done (but I do have a lot to lose)

My diet was basically not eating anything with more than 5g of fat per 100g and cutting down on my carb in take. I'd still have cereal or toast for breakfast, but just cut out the pasta, rice, potato etc. Ate a ton of veg and lots of chicken breast. Lots of yoghurts, and I still had the odd treat here and there. It can be done hun, you just need to find the right way of doing it for you x
  • elizetta
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I'll keep trying even though it is really difficult to do right now.