spin classes

Options
I see people on here on about them, and a local gym are starting to run spinning classes, so was wondering if its worth going for it? I have been road biking, regulaly (until the weather turned) and I'm on the exercise bike now, what's the difference between? And how will spinning help me?

Cheers! :)

Replies

• crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The ones I have attended got pretty intense, it was a good workout almost maxed my heart rate.. but... I'm the type that does not turn the resistance knob down when someone is yelling at me to go harder :laugh:
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Haha so they worth doing then? Will it help me improve my cycling ability? Or is it just an intese workout?
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It should/could help your cadence as you tend to spin very fast :)
  • ooOOooGravy
    Options
    Well im booked in for Monday :)
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love spin classes. Very good workout. I burn close to 1000 calories in an hour! I haven't found anything else that burns quite that much!
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I also rode my road bike consistently until the weather turned. I take spin classes now twice a week (unless it's nice enough to get out on the road) and let me tell you -- it's nothing like cycling. :noway: I think for me, I noticed the biggest difference in my endurance . . . or lack thereof, compared to some of the hardcore spinners in there. I don't think it will help so much as far as cycling goes, but I do think it helps build endurance because as you know on the road, you vary your speed somewhat and you can coast. Spinning classes, not so much. You're going at a pretty constant (challenging) pace most of the time. It's helping build my endurance and you burn a TON of calories. (anywhere from 700 to close to 1000 for that hour for me) I also think that for me, the class part of it helps motivate me to try to keep up, too. You're going at a constant pace (ours is timed to songs) and it's pretty tough. I figure it's something to pass the time until spring gets here and I can get outside again. :smile:
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I also rode my road bike consistently until the weather turned. I take spin classes now twice a week (unless it's nice enough to get out on the road) and let me tell you -- it's nothing like cycling. :noway: I think for me, I noticed the biggest difference in my endurance . . . or lack thereof, compared to some of the hardcore spinners in there. I don't think it will help so much as far as cycling goes, but I do think it helps build endurance because as you know on the road, you vary your speed somewhat and you can coast. Spinning classes, not so much. You're going at a pretty constant (challenging) pace most of the time. It's helping build my endurance and you burn a TON of calories. (anywhere from 700 to close to 1000 for that hour for me) I also think that for me, the class part of it helps motivate me to try to keep up, too. You're going at a constant pace (ours is timed to songs) and it's pretty tough. I figure it's something to pass the time until spring gets here and I can get outside again. :smile:

I did most of my training for an early spring triathlon on a spin bike because it was too icy/snowy to get out on the road. I had a great endurance level once I was finally able to get back outside. I think you have to be careful because some spin instructors do things on the spin bike that you would never/can't do while cycling outside (think pushups on the handlebars, pedaling with one leg, etc). I tried to avoid these types of classes and stayed with classes that simulated rides that I could do outside (i.e., lots of hills and sprints).
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i haven't tried the spinning classes at my gym as i am not a big fan of cycling. i do cycle on stationary bike everytime i go to the gym (when i am tired of standing and need a sit down lol) however i find it gets abit boring after about 10 minutes.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have recently started doing spinning and I have to say, I love it! My quads were absolutely killed for a cpl of days after the first 2 lessons but then I got used to it. Super cal burn and great fun. I think it will help with general cadence (if you tend to grind at the moment, eg. -80 rpm). I can see it will also help with hill climbing, as I have improved my tolerance for standing climbs with resistance, since starting the classes. Also think of the cals you burn... according to my HRM I burn anything from 830 to 1100 during a 45 min session + 10 mins warm up.

You will feel like death after 10 mins of class #1 but stick with it, I promise you won't regret it! :)
  • picou09
    Options
    Spin classes are super great! The music motivates you to keep pace and the instructors should step you through riding hills, racing, stand up riding,etc. I come out of class dripping with sweat!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Love my spin class! I was so intimidated to try it, but now it is a regular part of my workout schedule. I feel very bada$$ when I finish a spin class! The trick is to pace yourself at first, and build up your endurance. I am not a bike rider, so I don't know how it compares to riding outside, but I am definitely a spinner now!!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i think i need to give it a try just to see what it's like
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    The interval work that you do in spin classes is great for building up endurance, speed, and power on the road bike. Since it is too cold to get outdoors right now, I intend to go to two classes a week. Before spinning classes, my average speed on my road bike was about 17mph on a flat course, my average speed now is 19-20 for the same amount of perceived effort. I try to maintain a 90+ cadence throughout the entire session. Which was really difficult at first, but I discovered my calorie burn exploded from an average of 700 to 1200 with that additional effort. I suspect I'm despised by the others attending class with me since it appears that I'm always spinning 2 or 3 times faster than they are. It's an added bonus when the music selection is motivating as well.
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I did most of my training for an early spring triathlon on a spin bike because it was too icy/snowy to get out on the road. I had a great endurance level once I was finally able to get back outside. I think you have to be careful because some spin instructors do things on the spin bike that you would never/can't do while cycling outside (think pushups on the handlebars, pedaling with one leg, etc). I tried to avoid these types of classes and stayed with classes that simulated rides that I could do outside (i.e., lots of hills and sprints).

YES! We had a different instructor subbing for our normal one a few weeks ago and she had us pedal with one leg with the resistance turned WAY UP. Not only did I feel like I had been doing lunges for the past hour, my knees hurt like heck for the next couple of days. When I know it'll be her, I don't go. I'll do a different cardio class. The pushups on the handlebars is something that I don't understand either, but I can just go with that. Those don't make me hurt. :\
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    love the spin classes. Burn anywhere between 900 and 1000 cals. The instructor really makes a difference. If you don't like the first class, try another one that has a different instructor. Have a great time, it's such a good work out.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I own a recumbant bike and did at-home dvds for years, until I joined the NYSC. Like you, I kept hearing about Spin and wanted to try it out. I've been taking classes twice a week since April and now I'm addicted. I even wear the crazy pants (padded). Spinning is nothing like riding a bike; basically, it's a very intense workout; core and legs. You will pedal, sure, but with resistence and you will sprint & climb hills, and it's not the same as a regular bike outside or an at-home bike, either.

You will sweat through everything you have on so wear a sports bra and short shorts if you can possibly get away with it. Wear good sneakers, too. If you can get some really thick maxi pads, put one between your underwear and the shorts; on the crotch part of your underwear; it takes a while to get used to the contours of the seat against that part of the body. Bring a water bottle and drink it all.

Enjoy it ! And when you're ready for it, I'll tell you where to get crazy colored-kiddie sized pants for cheap, as well as cleats which will enhance the Spinning experience.
  • ooOOooGravy
    Options
    cheers for the responses peoples! looking forward to it now! I run regularly so im used to high intensity workouts, but not so much on the bike, particualy over last month... should be fun! ill report in after Mondays class :)