Gym = Ravenous Appetite

Options
Hello MFP,

So after I lost 50 lbs, I decided to join the gym to tone up my appearance. I've read that once working out had been incorporated into one's daily routine, it becomes important to consume the calories burned to avoid going into starvation mode inadvertently. I followed that, but somehow I find myself with an insane appetite on the days following an intense workout. Anyone else experiences this? Is this normal?

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    It's normal. You burn more energy so your body asks for more! It's a good thing actually!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    For me hard exercise acts as an appetite suppressant. Maybe it's because I have so much weight to lose? A thinner person's body might call for more calories due to exercise, but because I'm so obese, my body doesn't feel the need for extra? I don't know though, just my speculation.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that by becoming more physically active and as you build muscle, your basal metabolic rate will also go up. I experience this all the time... I am hungry 24/7 haha.

I would try experimenting with adding some more calories into your diet, and maybe up your protein if nothing makes you feel full.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Yes it's normal.. I go through the same thing.

Don't be afraid to feed your body... You're not going to gain anything back unless your eating beyond maintenance calories.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Been to a gym 3 times to sample some classes. I could have eaten a cow for two days after.
  • kwamgee
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    This is why I love the community.
  • kwamgee
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    This is why I love the community.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    yeah, especially when you first start. I promise I thought I could eat a whole house, I felt like a athlete, haha. Get more protein and water in your diet. should keep you full. might even take a supplement like whey protein, not sure but there are many other kinds people who seriously weight train like to use.
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    This happens to me sporadically. I have no idea why. *Usually* a hard workout suppresses my appetite. Yesterday I did an especially hard workout and I was so hungry all night I was going nuts. Not cool. I feel your pain...hang in there!
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Try some protein and a banana after your workout, that usually helps.

Definitely make sure you are getting enough protein and water. Best to get it from food but if you need the extra protein boost whey protein in the way to go. Gaspari Myofusion and Optimum Nutrition both make great powders (myofusion having a thicker consistancy). Neither one will add a whole lot of carbs/calories, but they will fill you up with protein :)

And hunger is a good thing. Means you are pushing your body. Just make sure to refeed it.
  • sadiecara
    sadiecara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I find it the other way, The days I work out I find it really hard to eat my calories, but when I cant work out then I just want to binge eat. I think its because I feel so pleased with myself when I work out, but on the days I cant, I am usually home or at work and bored so I start thinking of food, and once I start I literally do a mental look at all the food I have in my cupboards/fridge and my mind goes crazy craving all the bad stuff, and it wont stop until I eat... I much prefer the days when I can work out.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Yep it's normal. I'm gaining right now and still get hungry all the time
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I love shocking people when I eat. They don't get it. How can such a tiny person have such a BIG appetite? It's the most awesome thing. When I'm lifting heavier (doing more), I eat more. When I'm fairly inactive, I eat less. Right now it's maintenance.
  • mikkijane1
    mikkijane1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT cardio and strength training on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and the day after my work outs I can notice a definite increase in my appetite!! I think it may be because my metabolism is revved up (hopefully!).