Me? Zumba?

Options
Just wanted to share something here...I've been scared to try workout classes at my gym for fear I couldn't keep up, or I would be lost, or everyone else there would be experts and would be best friends and I'd be the idiot fighting for the back row.

I decided to try a zumba class a few weeks ago - I was pretty lost my first class and I have zero rhythm at all, but I have to say it was the most fun I've had in awhile - especially exercising! I've gone back a few more times and I get better each time as I learn the routines. The music is fun, the dances are fun, and my HRM says I burn 700 calories for an hour class.

I just want to encourage anyone who is afraid of classes at your gym to give it a chance - I was mortified, but I'm having a great experience and am now branching out to try other classes like total body!

Replies

• ShannanLaNae
    ShannanLaNae Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Im offically want to try a class, I know that it will help me lose weight as well. Ive been shy because I felt that I couldnt keep up in the classes but I just may shoock myself.
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am a certified Zumba instructor, and I wanted to say that Zumba is all about feeling the music! :) Really and truly, even if you spend your first class totally lost, it's so much fun that one can't help smiling throughout the class. I have never smiled through any other workout, but Zumba is just plain fun. When you try it out, just let yourself go, ignore the mirrors (if the room has them), and feel the music! Of course there will be people there who never miss a step and always have just the right hip action, but after a couple of classes, you'll find that you're one those people too!! Have an awesome time! :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It does take a few classes of Zumba to get the moves down, but it helps that they're repetitive.

My philosophy about Zumba is even if I'm not doing it right, as long as I'm moving, I'm burning. And I doubt anyone is watching me, anyway. Everyone's focused on the instructor because you're all in the same boat!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My gym Zumba is on Friday eve and she turns the lights off, they have some smaller party kind of lights on, but she totally makes it a dance party...just think of if you have/do go dancing and shake what your momma gave you!!! Thats all that matters is movement!!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree with everyone more!

I take lots of classes at my gym but Zumba is by far the most fun and certainly a fantastic workout. So glad that I tried it and then kept going back to Zumba classes even when I could not figure out how to get my arms, legs and belly moving in three different directions like in the choreography. But now I can. Great workout class!!!!
  • shd157
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I keep trying to work up the courage to try Zumba. I have no rhythm whatsoever and am scared of making a fool of myself. I need courage!
  • Strobins05
    Options
    ZUMBA, is one of the biggest classes at my gym. Our head instructor is a ZUMBA Goddess in our region. She travels all over and holds many Zumba marathons. When we take her classes on Tue and Thursday nights, it's by first come first get a spot! Over 70 ppl at times, no lie! AND she is awesome, the music she uses is current and we are sooooo pumped till we feel like we are at a CLUB partying! She makes it so fun and exciting for all ages! Good luck with your classes and as you stated, you do burn a LOT of calories in one hour, so drink plenty of water!
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA, is one of the biggest classes at my gym. Our head instructor is a ZUMBA Goddess in our region. She travels all over and holds many Zumba marathons. When we take her classes on Tue and Thursday nights, it's by first come first get a spot! Over 70 ppl at times, no lie! AND she is awesome, the music she uses is current and we are sooooo pumped till we feel like we are at a CLUB partying! She makes it so fun and exciting for all ages! Good luck with your classes and as you stated, you do burn a LOT of calories in one hour, so drink plenty of water!

^^ What she said!!
    I'm an instructor and classes like these are THE BOMB!!!! You have to have it fun in the classes to keep the interest of the people coming to the class....If it's boring, they will leave.
  • muitobem
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I keep trying to work up the courage to try Zumba. I have no rhythm whatsoever and am scared of making a fool of myself. I need courage!

You don't need rhythm to do Zumba!! It's just about moving at your fitness level and speed....You do Zumba to how you can do it..But just KEEP moving!! You will get infected with the fever of it!!!
  • muitobem
    Options
    It does take a few classes of Zumba to get the moves down, but it helps that they're repetitive.

My philosophy about Zumba is even if I'm not doing it right, as long as I'm moving, I'm burning. And I doubt anyone is watching me, anyway. Everyone's focused on the instructor because you're all in the same boat!

^^^ EXACTLY!!!!
    I know many that come to my class feel funny at first, but when they realize everyone has been there and they aren't watching them, they get into it and have fun!!! They have fun with it and that's the best part...HAVE FUN!!
  • muitobem
    Options
    I am a certified Zumba instructor, and I wanted to say that Zumba is all about feeling the music! :) Really and truly, even if you spend your first class totally lost, it's so much fun that one can't help smiling throughout the class. I have never smiled through any other workout, but Zumba is just plain fun. When you try it out, just let yourself go, ignore the mirrors (if the room has them), and feel the music! Of course there will be people there who never miss a step and always have just the right hip action, but after a couple of classes, you'll find that you're one those people too!! Have an awesome time! :)

^^^^ Perfectly stated!!
    I see the same in the classes I teach.....
  • zumbabumba21
    Options
    Yeahh I have absolutely no talent for dancing whatsoever (to the point my family laugh at me when I try) but I love zumba and I'm finding it easier and easier to get the moves first time. I also go on my own sometimes-i feel that comfortable going :) give it a try you'll probably love it and want to go back!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I've had people telling me to take Zumba for over a year now and I was always too scared, haha. I just started a few months ago and I LOVE it. Coincidentally, the only night I had free that worked with the local place's schedule was Wednesday nights when they do "Zumba in the Dark." We all wear those glow-stick bracelets and necklaces and they have blacklights on in the room which picks up a lot of people's shoes and clothing. It's totally fun, we're all having a great time, and everyone is so supportive. My motto is that even if I'm not moving the same way they are, I'm still moving. Also that no matter how silly I look, I'm beating everyone sitting at home on their couch. =) I get a babysitter for the next few weeks when my baby sis comes home from college, so I'll get to go twice a week for the rest of December. I'm excited!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

You are me. I am just NOT a class person, and certainly not a dance class person. But I met the instructor, decided she wasn't intimidating (ha), and got the courage to go to a class. Now I go to Zumba most weeks. It's so fun and a great calorie burn. I'm still not a dancer and I'm still uncoordinated, but I stand in the back, leave self consciousness at the door, and have a great time. I encourage you to try it!
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I did my first zumba class last Monday and absolutely loved it. Even though I did not know all the moves, (I was going right when they were going left and definitely could not do those belly shakes) I kept moving all the time and plan on adding it to my schedule. Tonight is my second class and am looking forward to it.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    That's amazing. I am kind of weird in that I am shy, but have never been shy about my weight-loss as far as gym wise. I feel that I have the right not to be ashamed about using a certain machine or going to a class. I paid my money right? and we're all there to better ourselves :)