Eating out!

Options
Hi everyone! :)

I just want to start off by saying this community is wonderful!!! so helpful and motivating! Thank you :)

So this Saturday evening, I've been invited to a surprise birthday party at a Bar & Grill (evening hours).

I've been doing pretty good with my eating, "clean clean"! :) So any advice on how NOT to overdo it on the salty/greasy/fatty? (and drinking is out of the question for me, so I know I'll be sticking to water for drinks)

Thanks!

Replies

• lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Check out their website and their menu offerings. Compare early and stick to the plan. If no menu items are acceptable, eat your meal before you go and bring a bag of veggies to snack on. You are still eating sociably... it's about you being there, not eating bar food!

I did the compare before you go at Olive Garden last weekend, opted for the low calorie of Venetian Apricot Chicken and FELL IN LOVE! I never, in a million years, would have made that selection and it was totally wonderful!

Good luck and have fun at the party!!!!

Laura
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no fried food -- no cheese sticks, tater skins, etc. They're tasty but terrible for you in terms of the fried fattyness and sodium content!

Stick with salads and sandwiches and ask for the dressings on the side so that you can control how much you put on. No matter what you do, the sodium content is going to be high... it's a restaurant. I tend to prefer to get wraps at places like that because a lot of the time, they fry the bread before the make the sandwich (ugh!). So go for things that aren't loaded in sauce, lots of fresh veggies. See if they do side substitutes -- skip the fries and go for fruit or something else.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Check out their website and their menu offerings. Compare early and stick to the plan. If no menu items are acceptable, eat your meal before you go and bring a bag of veggies to snack on. You are still eating sociably... it's about you being there, not eating bar food!

Great suggestion, I get bummed if a place doesn't have an online menu that I can check beforehand.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    May want to try http://www.calorieking.com/ to see if they are listed.
  • Karlaki
    Options
    I always check out the menu before going somewhere now, otherwise I sit there with the menu and my phone looking up nutrition info on MFP app. Sunday I was at Applebees with two friends who also use this website.. each of us had our phones out and were announcing calorie counts - 900 calories for the chicken Cesar??? Seriously?
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    thank you all so much!! very helpful indeed!!

i am reviewing the menu online now and the salads look really good. I'm leaning towards the small Greek salad with the dressing on the side! I know that a cake will be distributed to everyone, so will opt for a small slice.

I will eat well at home before heading out so I don't give in and stuff my face with all those yummy nachos/bread/other items that my friends will be ordering

Last thing I want is to ruin my happy clean week and feel bloated the morning after with all that sodium in my system :)