Help with soup..

Options
Hey everyone.. I have a bit of an odd question. I am not a huge fan of Chicken Broth... its way too salty for my taste so when I eat chicken soup, like Progresso Light Chicken Noodle, I pour off almost all the broth before I cook it, leaving just enough to keep the noodles and chicken moist. Because most of the sodium lies in the broth itself; how can I track the soup without it? I have searched the net near and far without contacting Progresso directly to see how the sodium count would reduce by not consuming the broth. Anyone have any idea how I can figure this out? I hate to list the sodium on my log if I'm not actually consuming it because it throws me off for the rest of the day and looks bad to the doc... any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound like Sally home maker, but I make my own in my crockpot. I make enough that I can put in the freezer and pull it out when I want some.

This way I can control what I put in it.

I cut up 4 chicken breast, use fresh green beans, carrots, potatoes, 1 cut up yellow onion, and 1 to 2 cloves of garlic.
    I put it all in the crock pot, and I put 2 boxes of low sodium swansons chicken broth and put the crock pot on high for several hours until its ready to eat. It tastes great, and you can add noodles or rice or what ever you want. It's yours, and you control what you put in it. season it to your taste, and run with it. It's easy. It takes about 15 minutes to put it all together and the clean up is easy.

A tip, use the crock pot liners, and your clean up of the crockpot is cut in less than half.
  • AubreysMommy30
    AubreysMommy30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Awesome tip. Thanks for the recipe, I think I'll try it!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    chicken broth is pretty low in calories. I would not subtract more than around 20-25 calories for the broth in a standard sized can of soup.