Questioning Portion Size

Options
I have been doing this for almost 1 month now and have lost 10-12 pounds, and I have a question... I see alot mentioned about portion control. And though I understand that some of our own undoing is based on that, I am starting to worry when I see people saying it.

I seem to have pretty large dinner portions, most meals are never over 500 cals.......I eat an entire sandwich and a whole chicken breast.........now I try and measure appropriatley but I am using the eyeball approach. I try and keep a few calories at the end of the day just in case my eyeballs didn't work right. I make sure to choose healthy foods also, and stand by that in 1 month I have not cheated - (except the 11 chips I ate 3 weeks ago).

I never feel like I have eaten too much, I have alot of green stuff on my plate and will eat my veggies before I eat my meat, so that I am sure that I am getting those in and if filling up its on good stuff.

Should I be so concerned about my portions if I eat 5-7 times a day? If what I eat is healthy in choice? and if I don't go over my daily calories?

Just wondering.

BLABLABLA :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for almost 1 month now and have lost 10-12 pounds, and I have a question... I see alot mentioned about portion control. And though I understand that some of our own undoing is based on that, I am starting to worry when I see people saying it.

I seem to have pretty large dinner portions, most meals are never over 500 cals.......I eat an entire sandwich and a whole chicken breast.........now I try and measure appropriatley but I am using the eyeball approach. I try and keep a few calories at the end of the day just in case my eyeballs didn't work right. I make sure to choose healthy foods also, and stand by that in 1 month I have not cheated - (except the 11 chips I ate 3 weeks ago).

I never feel like I have eaten too much, I have alot of green stuff on my plate and will eat my veggies before I eat my meat, so that I am sure that I am getting those in and if filling up its on good stuff.

Should I be so concerned about my portions if I eat 5-7 times a day? If what I eat is healthy in choice? and if I don't go over my daily calories?

Just wondering.

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Just wondering.

just wondering how you know the calories if you aren't sure if the portion size is correct?
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    BUY A FOOD SCALE! The best thing that I've ever done. Found that I was undereating in some areas and overeating in others. They're cheap on amazon, about $25, and are super easy to use. This way, you can enter EXACTLY what you eat and not have to guess. :smile:
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    No I do the calories based on measurements, serving sizes and so on. I eat a standard size chicken breast....I count my cals for bread, cheese, turkey, 1 slice of tomatoe so on..........I measure a cup if a serving size is a cup, so on. It just seems like there is alot of food on my plate.......that's what I am saying.........

Get it? :wink:
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    BUY A FOOD SCALE! The best thing that I've ever done. Found that I was undereating in some areas and overeating in others. They're cheap on amazon, about $25, and are super easy to use. This way, you can enter EXACTLY what you eat and not have to guess. :smile:

Thinking I will do this.....this is 1 of 2 things I need, HRM and Food Scale.........thanks
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    How do you define a standard size chicken breast? Hence the need for a scale.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    .......that's what I am saying.........

Get it? :wink:

well you are doin great and its working for you so I wouldnt mess around with it
    get it:wink:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it works pretty good if you know what a 6oz chicken breast looks like. Most of the chicken breast I get are either 6 oz or 9 oz for the larger ones. I eyeballed it for 2 weeks while I was without a balance. I lost the amt of weight I usu. do so if it works for you keep on.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    sassy - we are in the same boat girl! i dont have a scale either and i eyeball stuff too. it really is starting to freak me out. i read something last night that said target has them starting at $5 - i am all about it! i plan to get mine friday :drinker:
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Got it :P
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    I just went to Target.com and they were like around $24...I already made the mistake of buying a crappy bathroom scale, so when it comes to the rest of my portions I am gonna do my best to get the best.

My eyeballing can't be too bad I am losing....and I always have around 100 left over at the end of the day, so just in case......
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I bought the $5 Target food scale, and it works fine. Does grams and ounces up to a pound. Does get miscalibrated easily, so I am always adjusting.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 10-12 pounds then you are doing something right! Should you hit a plateau, it may be time to invest in a food scale.

Keep up the good work! :smile:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Hey! You've lost 10# in a month!!!!:flowerforyou: That's great! You're obviously doing something right! As for food scales, you don't have to spend a lot to get what you need- accurate weight. I have a non-electric Cuisinart one I've had for ages. Not fancy, but it does the trick when I'm in doubt! As for HRM-- you should really invest in a decent one. Make sure it calculates calories burned. Polar makes some good ones- just read the various posts on this topic. I got one 3 weeks ago off Amazon- came in 24hrs w/ free shipping! I'm in love!!!:love:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 10-12 pounds then you are doing something right! Should you hit a plateau, it may be time to invest in a food scale.

Keep up the good work! :smile:

YEP! If it's working for now, don't mess with it! When you hit a plateau, then it might be time to do it, but I wouldn't worry about it now. I have noticed I eat about half of what I used to, I'm not sure why, but we went to Red Robin for VDay and I got a regular sandwich and fries - and could only eat half!!! (Which was good on the calorie side, man those are high cal, but I had saved them up). I'm not starving myself and now for the first time in my life I can feel full even though I'm eating less. It's a strange phenomenon. I can also now tell when I'm actually hungry vs. the bored eating or whatever (which happens every evening, that's my problem still!).

Keep it up! You're doing great!
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Thanks all
    :flowerforyou: