Protein

Options
Hello, I'm new to myfitnesspal and I love it.
My question is about the protein amounts. I'm struggling to hit my calories and carbs, but I exceed my protein by -8 to -10 on average. I thought extra protein was good.
Does it really hurt to go over in Protein??
Thanks for the insight!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    protein limits are quite low on MFP (15% of total calories), a balanced diet can consist of up to 30%, so you are fine even doubling the protein limit. Many people on MFP more than double the protein requirement.

If you are always going over you can adjust your goals by going to goals -> change goals -> custom.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to myfitnesspal and I love it.
    My question is about the protein amounts. I'm struggling to hit my calories and carbs, but I exceed my protein by -8 to -10 on average. I thought extra protein was good.
    Does it really hurt to go over in Protein??
    Thanks for the insight!

Provided that you stay in a calorie deficit it will not hurt your weight loss. If your overconsumption of protein (while staying at your calorie target) causes you to under-consume fat, there's a possiblity you'd have other issues in the long-term.

In short, keep doing it but not at the expense of proper fat intake.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt weight loss as long has you hit your calorie goal. Higher protein diets help retain lean pass. I eat about 225g per day.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Miko.......
  • jcatrett
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info, have a great day!