Is there such a thing as too much water?

Options
2»

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've met a super-fit woman who'd finished a marathon in three hours and was in a pub having a Coke post-race. She keeled over with the symptoms of a fit and was in a coma for months with hyponatraemia from drinking too much during the course of the race without replacing salts. The doctors told her she was lucky not to have died.

Your sodium and potassium balance is essential to keep nerve signals pinging through your body. Get them out of balance or dilute them too much by drinking too much fluid, especially after sweating a lot out, and it could be fatal.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Yes there is but it's like 9 gallons or something insane like that.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Good morning I was reading your post and thought this link might be helpful. Keep up the good work! :happy: http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

TY for that link. It says I need 3.3 L for my weight and exercise level. I typically drink 96 oz./day of just water, so I need to convert. That comes to 2.83 L, if I include my morning coffee, Im pretty close.

Before I started my fitness journey, I was visiting the urologist because of a bout of kidney stones. He advised me to drink at least 96 oz of water a day. So thats where I heard that.