Gym Etiquette

Options
Is it completely rude of me to split sets between machines? I do 3 sets of 15 reps, so I do a curl and then an extension, pull down and whatever is the opposite of that, etc.

I ask because although the gym is very empty during the time that I go (last time there were 5 other people, max, and only one in the weight machines area) there is one girl in particular who cuts in to my sets. Of 20 machines, she randomly always manages to need one of the ones I am working on.

Who is the @s$hole here? I am ready to admit it could easily be me... Even the description of my practice seems like machine hogging...

Replies

• Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    First off, she could be flirting.

Second off, it is standard etiquette to allow someone else to use the machine in between your sets... so nothing wrong with her cutting.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't think either is to blame, there's no way either could know the other's routines or intentions without mind reading.

That said, in my opinion when people WALK AWAY from the machines, they're fair game. It always kind of ticks me off when I go up to a machine and someone who was like 10 feet away runs up to me and says oh no no I was on that one. WHAT? You were practically across the gym buddy!!??!?!
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    She may be emulating your routine. Some say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    nobody is the as$hole, we can all share nicely :)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I think it's rude when guys hover around a machine, although they try not to make it obvious, they suck at it, I would much rather you tell me you would like me to move quickly, that would actually annoy me a lot less, lol
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i do it al the time. but i go during the lunch time and theres hardly anyone in there. But if theres someone on the machine, i ask them if they are almost done or i redo my routine and do another machine. People are nice in the machine and always ask first before jumping in
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, an empty machine is fair game. You can use a different machine while she's on the one you need. After all, it's her gym too. Although I see nothing wrong with you getting up from the machine, I don't think you can be using two + machines at once.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    When you superset, you have to accept that someone else might jump in. You can offer to work in. Explaining that you two can stagger your time in the machine.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    When you superset, you have to accept that someone else might jump in. You can offer to work in. Explaining that you two can stagger your time in the machine.

^ this
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Agreed w/ above two. No one is an a-hole. I work out that way, too, and while I hope no one will disturb my perfect groove and jump in, I realize it is not reasonable for me to simultaneously claim 2 or 3 machines. I am antisocial and thus would rather move on to another exercise temporarily than have a conversation with a stranger about working in, but both are lovely options.