personal trainers

Options
Before you all start - i'm not one and would'nt want to be one.
But I may want one.

I'm losing focus and need someone to drive me and am thinking about getting a personal trainer?

Anyone got one? Are they that good?

Replies

• Shredded2011
    Options
    I have a trainer but not a personal trainer.
    So I train with them one day a week and 2 days on my own.

Both mutual friends they do competitions and I very occasionally do.

Pros:
    Can sort your diet out for you
    They have experience of what not to do and what to do?

Cons:
    Makes you keep going to the gym
    Can cost probably :sad:
  • johnlewismodel
    Options
    Anyone else?
    I just want to tone up a bit and lose fat.
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have one, meet him 2x a week for strength/circuit training (30 minute workouts). He also does my measurements every 6-8 weeks. He also ask about how I am doing and my food and how my weight is going....He also sets goals for me. At first I was uncomfortable with the thought of going to a personal trainer (especially a male), after talking myself into it, probably one of the best decisions I've made.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I see mine every other week for an hour. He gives me a new weight/circuit training routine which I repeat on my own three times a week until our next session. I've found it incredibly helpful - very motivating and I've made incredible progress.

That said, if you already know your way around the weight room it might not be as necessary and you might be able to find programs online that would suit your needs without incurring the cost of a trainer. For me, I'd never ventured into the free weights and I didn't want to risk an injury due to bad form. I also am not sure I'd have maintained my motivation this long without someone to keep me moving forward and accountable.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    most suck
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    The best thing about a great trainer is they will push you and control your workout so all you have to do is focus on the job at hand. It's nice to have the workout and pace planned for you.
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am one, have been for 12 years... My best clients (the ones that see the most results) are the ones that know what they want and use me for a resource rather than a crutch. I can't do it for you, I can't make you want it... but I can give you ideas on making sure that every minute you spend working out is working towards your goals. That in itself is motivating right? knowing that you aren't wasting time going through the motions and what you are doing will actually work. Good trainers will show you what works and what doesn't and can be a great sounding board for all of the media crud out there that will just slow you down. Find one that has other clients with goals similar to yours or one that you aspire to look like. Most trainers train their clients in a similar way that they train themselves. Most of my clients are also my friends on MFP so I can keep track of them when they aren't in the gym. They just can't escape me! ;-)
    Good luck and find someone you like!
    "like" me on facebook... PURENERGY Fitness I occasionally post videos and other workouts for free.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to have a good workout partner that will push you. I've seen my fair share of personal trainers in the gym and I've never been that impressed and their nutritional knowledge is usually lacking at best. Not saying there aren't good ones out there...
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I can say, without a doubt, I would not be this far without mine!!! I meet with him 3X a week for an hour and he kicks my butt from one end of the gym to the other. Along with the amazing workouts, he also provides motivation, nutritional help/advice and endless funny stories. He is worth every penny of the $1,500 a month my hubby and I spend on him! The key is finding a trainer that understands your goals and takes them personally. You want them to be just as invested in you as you are. You might need to work with a few trainers before you find the right one but when you do, you will be amazed at the progress you can make! Just as an example, I have lost almost 90lbs, 6 sizes, 40+ inches and almost 10% body fat. I can also run a 5K, do full push ups, hike 3500' and 8 miles, do assisted pull ups, dead lift 225lbs and a million other physical things.
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    one more thing, find one that has been doing it for more than 4 years if you can. It is a business that weeds out the bad ones on it's own. I recently toured a huge gym in a big city in prep for buying equipment for our new gym. I was depressed at seeing the trainers on the floor. Most looked like they were working in their sleep. Find a "training studio" in your area that does group classes for an extra fee. These trainers are at the top of their game and it is worth every penny. You can attend training at their studio and then take it back to your own home or gym and use the knowledge you learned.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to have a good workout partner that will push you. I've seen my fair share of personal trainers in the gym and I've never been that impressed and their nutritional knowledge is usually lacking at best. Not saying there aren't good ones out there...
    I partly agree, I have had experience of personal trainers & you would think these guys would have their nutrition locked in! BUT it really is an area (imo) that they lack knowledge. That said & done, it helps to have someone focus you & keep you accountable with w/outs that challenge you past what you may have chosen yourself.

Russ
  • johnlewismodel
    Options
    Any in Cheshire ?
  • EmmaNem0
    Options
    I have one! She is amazing and definitely helps keep me motivated and excited about working out. It's super hard of a workout, but I feel so much better knowing how good I am getting at conditioning afterwards. It is a bit costly, but my parents pay for my sessions (once a week for 30 min-1 hour). I think meeting with a personal trainer once ever 2 weeks would be fine as you could get them to write out a workout plan for you the days you are not training with a personal trainer. Best of luck to you!
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    Any in Cheshire ?

My trainers in Congleton mickproffitt@gmail.com

He doesn't charge me so I don't know whether he'd train you or not. Possibly?
    :noway:
  • lexibelk
    lexibelk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Find one who does it on their own, not at a gym (unless maybe it's a mom and pop kind of place).

Unless you find a diamond in the rough, like I did for 6 months, they usually suck. The gym doesn't pay them enough and they always have something better to do like check their cell phone or look at the hotties walking around.

Call me crazy, but I think a trainer should be paying attention to what you're doing so you do it right and don't hurt yourself.

I would love to be one in the future, but I could never work at a gym.
  • johnlewismodel
    Options
    I can say, without a doubt, I would not be this far without mine!!! I meet with him 3X a week for an hour and he kicks my butt from one end of the gym to the other. Along with the amazing workouts, he also provides motivation, nutritional help/advice and endless funny stories. He is worth every penny of the $1,500 a month my hubby and I spend on him! The key is finding a trainer that understands your goals and takes them personally. You want them to be just as invested in you as you are. You might need to work with a few trainers before you find the right one but when you do, you will be amazed at the progress you can make! Just as an example, I have lost almost 90lbs, 6 sizes, 40+ inches and almost 10% body fat. I can also run a 5K, do full push ups, hike 3500' and 8 miles, do assisted pull ups, dead lift 225lbs and a million other physical things.

Yours sounds superb!
  • johnlewismodel
    Options
    Any in Cheshire ?

My trainers in Congleton mickproffitt@gmail.com

He doesn't charge me so I don't know whether he'd train you or not. Possibly?
    :noway:

6 miles away from me.
    I want to trim fat and get toned
  • johnlewismodel
    Options
    Find one who does it on their own, not at a gym (unless maybe it's a mom and pop kind of place).

Unless you find a diamond in the rough, like I did for 6 months, they usually suck. The gym doesn't pay them enough and they always have something better to do like check their cell phone or look at the hotties walking around.

Call me crazy, but I think a trainer should be paying attention to what you're doing so you do it right and don't hurt yourself.

I would love to be one in the future, but I could never work at a gym.

Well any advice from you would be great. Yes i've seen those gimps in the gym.
  • johnlewismodel
    Options
    I partly agree, I have had experience of personal trainers & you would think these guys would have their nutrition locked in! BUT it really is an area (imo) that they lack knowledge. That said & done, it helps to have someone focus you & keep you accountable with w/outs that challenge you past what you may have chosen yourself.

Russ

You may both be right. I need bullying round the gym a bit - sorry alot.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    As you are seeing here everyone has different needs and personalities. You'll need to decide for yourself. That said, I personally have benefited from group classes at the Y. I was intimidated at first, especially being a guy. I dont care for dancy type classes but do more cardio sculpt/strength/boot camp kinds. I'll tell you what, those gal instructors can kick my butt!!! . I've become friends with most of the instructors (they are all trainers as well so sometimes I get free advise/tips after class) as well as regular classmates. That all helps keep me motivated to (a) show up and (b) push harder than I'd ever push myself. Best thing is - its included in my membership fee - no extra dough! My best gym friend is actually a gal who can out run and out lift me. She's a physical therapist so she helps keep tabs on my form (shoulder problems). All as a result of getting involved and meeting people. Good luck!