Virginia Tech Shooting. Again.

Options
2»

Replies

• lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    His poor family

35% of all homicides in Canada are via guns. Make you feel better?

Leave it be I tried to take it back
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Guys, out of reverence and the knowledge that those who feel passionately on this will never agree--let's not turn this into a gun law debate.

what he said!
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I suspect enrolment numbers will be down next semester.

Unbelievable.
  • n003k
    n003k Posts: 58
    Options
    Look, you want to debate the gun laws, take it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/416370-guns-on-campus I made a post specifically for it in the gun lovers group. I'd actually love some of you against it to pop in and debate, I'm a moderator of the group, and our main rule is attacking the argument, not the person, so as long as you feel you have truth and facts on your side, you've nothing to fear.

Let's keep THIS thread about support for the victims though.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I really don't mean to be rude, but how can this keep happening? Are universities in the US that horrible that people keep doing this? (Keep used as this has happened at that campus twice now, I'm pretty shocked. Again, not meant to be rude)

School shootings happen because young college aged (and HS aged) people are going through a lot of changes in their lives and stress and add to that someone who has mental health issues and you get violence.

Ugh I have to point out that your statement is stereotypical about those who have mental health issues from a sociological perspective. Not everyone with mental health problems is going to grab a gun and shoot up a campus. People without mental disorders are capable of doing the same. Statements like that give people with mental disorders a bad stigma. They have enough on their plate without sweeping statements like that :flowerforyou:
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You can pass all the gun laws you want. People like that will still perservere and kill.

I agree. My husband is a PO and I was one. There are lots of gun laws we don't need more. The people who want them to kill others will find them on the black market, etc and no amount of gun laws will unfortunately prevent that. What CAN be done is the judges, etc upholding the law to the maximum extent and not giving slack sentencings. If someone is given life (and stays there) or death peantly -v- 5-10 it would maybe make others think twicw before comitting that crime.
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I suspect enrolment numbers will be down next semester.

Unbelievable.

Enrollment wasn't impacted by the 4/16 tragedy and won't be affected by this. Virginia Tech is an amazing community, the hokie nation is proud and strong, and acts of senseless violence will only strengthen our resolve to provide education to our youth and research for a better future.

Blacksburg is my hometown, and I'm a current VT grad student. The shooter was not a VT student, btw.

I was on campus when this happened. I felt completely safe the entire time. I only feel a terrible sense of loss and sadness.

Love more.