food to deal with dissapointment

Options
i am still at a point where i use food to deal w/any type of major dissapointment. i just got refected on a phone interview for a job i really wanted. so i had 2 pieces of bread instead of one. granted it was organic honey whole wheat at all, but am too full still. i didn't want to sit and sob in the office, and leaving wasn't an option, so i pretended i was fine while eating up my bread with my short, non-fat latte. what strategies do people have?:grumble:

Replies

• vickster82
    Options
    i am still at a point where i use food to deal w/any type of major dissapointment. i just got refected on a phone interview for a job i really wanted. so i had 2 pieces of bread instead of one. granted it was organic honey whole wheat at all, but am too full still. i didn't want to sit and sob in the office, and leaving wasn't an option, so i pretended i was fine while eating up my bread with my short, non-fat latte. what strategies do people have?:grumble:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    chugging water works well, too, though only do it if you're near a restroom :)

I'm sorry that you're feeling down. If you have any fruits, that tastes good, or buy yourself something small and cheap that makes you feel good about yourself (like something $10 or under at Sephora.)
  • Zara11
    Options
    Oops, double post!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

you are looking for another job while at the office?...
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

you are looking for another job while at the office?...

Maybe she was interviewing for a promotion within the same company. (just did this myself this week). Or maybe her job is being severed and she has no other options. maybe it was during her lunch time..Or Or maybe this is none of our business and she just wants a kind word of encouragement and some strategy tips. Hmm. Could be.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Hmm. Could be.
    maybe but if you were the one writing the paycheck?
    hmmmm there is more to think about than ourselves, right? A job is a privledge and using company phones and company time to look for another job is wrong..I hope you are right..that is why I asked and didnt accuse:smile:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Could be.
    hmmmm there is more to think about than ourselves, right? A job is a privledge and using company phones and company time to look for another job is wrong..I hope you are right..that is why I asked and didnt accuse:smile:

I heard a poll recently that out of an average 8 hour day, people only spend 3 to 4 hours of that time actually working. The rest of the time is spent on lunch hour, breaks, wasting time on the computers, and chatting with coworkers. Is taking a call that different? She probably didn't go take the interview on company time (unless like someone else said, it was intercompany). She probably gave her work number as that is the place she is able to be contacted during normal business hours.

And I'm sorry to you that didn't get that job. Hang in there, something will come up.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Hmm. Could be.

I heard a poll recently that out of an average 8 hour day, people only spend 3 to 4 hours of that time actually working. The rest of the time is spent on lunch hour, breaks, wasting time on the computers, and chatting with coworkers. Is taking a call that different? She probably didn't go take the interview on company time (unless like someone else said, it was intercompany). She probably gave her work number as that is the place she is able to be contacted during normal business hours.

And I'm sorry to you that didn't get that job. Hang in there, something will come up.

perhaps that might be true but I have been an employer for 15 years and I have NEVER had an employee spend half their day not actually working..I would have gone out of business and my people are workers...same people for years never would happen...
    because there are some doing it does not make it right...but again..I asked a question and did not make an accusation
  • pettmybunny
    Options

perhaps that might be true but I have been an employer for 15 years and I have NEVER had an employee spend half their day not actually working..I would have gone out of business and my people are workers...same people for years never would happen...
    because there are some doing it does not make it right...but again..I asked a question and did not make an accusation

I'm sorry, I wasn't meaning that you were accusing her of anything. I'm just pointing out that taking a call isn't exactly using company time to look for another job. I've never worked at a job where I was not allowed to take calls. Or make calls for that matter, as long as I wasn't abusing the priveledge.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I'm sorry, I wasn't meaning that you were accusing her of anything. I'm just pointing out that taking a call isn't exactly using company time to look for another job. I've never worked at a job where I was not allowed to take calls. Or make calls for that matter, as long as I wasn't abusing the priveledge.

just curious..how does a phone interview get turned into "taking a call"? employers do not usually call prospects at their current job..especially to turn down the applicant
  • Zara11
    Options
    Um... I think this thread was to help someone deal with emotions in a healthy way, not start flinging out holier-than-thou comments, off topic things, etc.

Can we get back on track?
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Well, frankly I don't see how a girl asking for tips to deal with stress eating turns into a debate about ethical work practices. Again, that is not the focus of this forum. I don't think it was any of our business about her business unless we are writing her paycheck.
  • pettmybunny
    Options

just curious..how does a phone interview get turned into "taking a call"? employers do not usually call prospects at their current job..especially to turn down the applicant

I skimmed the post... I missed that it was an interview, I thought that it was just a turn down call... And they would call at the job, if that's the daytime number that's given. Or maybe they called her cell, not necessarily knowing that she was on the job.
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Um... I think this thread was to help someone deal with emotions in a healthy way, not start flinging out holier-than-thou comments, off topic things, etc.

Ouch! I didn't think anyone sounded holier-than-thou....
  • Zara11
    Options

Ouch! I didn't think anyone sounded holier-than-thou....

I apologize - that was harsh. It just worries me when someone asks for help, that someone is the center of a discussion of whether she's acting inappropriately at work. If I got that response, I don't think my emotional state would be helped at all, and we're here to help each other's helps out. Calling people on the job shouldn't factor in at all.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options

One - LET IT OUT! If you want to cry, cry. If you want to scream, do it! For me, I walk. I walk until I think my legs will fall off. Granted, you can't do that when you are at work, so just try to make it till you are outta there and then let it out. Holding things in only makes you eat.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

Oi....back to the topic...

Have you tried visualizing? OR breathing exercises... I do that in my classroom...a LOT.
    I agree with get_fit.... you need to let it out sometime(maybe not at work....but later).
    I used to walk all the time too! It clears the mind but sometimes helps one refocus.
    OH! Ever mentally screamed in your head....it's a good time. :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
    I'm sorry you didn't get the job.
  • mmackie
    Options
    When I want something sweet (that's what I want when I craving something) I go for a 100 calorie pack of something. I love the oreo and the chips ahoy.

I'm sorry about your job-and the other people on here need to stop judging! It's none of your business what "ethics" she has! That wasn't the reason for the post...
  • vickster82
    Options
    :wink: should have explained more. i am looking to begin my career in clinical research and do an internal transfer from a hospital to the research institute. but no one wants to hire w/out experience, even though im in a program and getting certified. so yes, i had an interview while on the job, but everyone, including my boss, is aware that im applying and support me. so while im grateful for still having a job, i am in itching to get my career started.
  • magellan906
    Options
    Awwww.... If everyone knows you were going for it, and supported you trying to get that new job, they would have supported you when you didn't get in....

Like I said earlier, hang in there, something will come along.

I don't have any good not eating during stress advice. I've been on a food bender for 3 weeks now. Good luck hun.