Cooked Foods Have More Calories Than Raw

Options
Why calorie counts are wrong: Discover Magazine
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2011/12/08/why-calorie-counts-are-wrong-cooked-food-provides-a-lot-more-energy/

The article is a bit unclear if we (the US norms) are underestimating the calories of cooked and processed food or severely overestimating the calories in raw foods.

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    That is very interesting and actually easy to understand. But I wonder if in addition to getting more calories/fuel from cooked foods if we are also getting more nutrients since the foods are now more digestible.

I think I will continue to eat most of my fruit raw/unprocessed as well as regular salads with raw vegetables but I am not going to stop cooking and eating cooked foods!
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Its also interestign that a womans menstrual cycle could be changed or stopped entirely by not eating enough calories. Ive never heard of that before. Or that it can stop her from getting pregnant.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Its also interestign that a womans menstrual cycle could be changed or stopped entirely by not eating enough calories. Ive never heard of that before. Or that it can stop her from getting pregnant.

oh yeah. and not just from not eating enough...a lot of athletes dont get their period because of how much they work out. in high school i would always get mine twice a year...once on the 2 weeks off between softball and basketball and once the 2 weeks off between basketball and softball.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

this is well known - a female has to have a certain % of body fat for the female hormones to work - many women who are anorexic or elite athaletes with very little body fat stop their "monthly friend"

I have read some studies about the on-set of pubery in females where it is a combination of weight and body fat...which is an explanation why we are seeing some young girls hit pubery so early - all the processed food/poor diet/not enough kiddie exercise allows some girls to hit the weight/fat ratio earlier - whcih triggers their body into getting ready for puberty