Gift for Daycare Provider

Options
coe28
coe28 Posts: 715 Member
I absolutely LOVE my babysitter. I cannot imagine leaving my son in better hands while I'm working. So I want to treat her well at Christmas. However, she's one of those people who has EVERYTHING! When she wants something, she buys it. And her house is perfectly decorated (so no home decor gifts). My questions to any babysitters/daycare providers out there: Would you be offended by a gift of cash? I was thinking of giving her $100 in a Christmas card. Any thoughts??

Replies

• jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I love getting cash! That way you get what you want... if you think it is too impersonal... how about a gift card?
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    A parent one time gave me $250 cash. It was just what I needed to pay bills. Other parents have also given me cash. ANother nice gift I have received is a gift certificate to a restaurant, a certificate to a nail spa, etc.
  • melnaz
    melnaz Posts: 17
    Options
    As a former daycare owner and teacher... PLEASE OH PLEASE GIVE HER THE CASH!!! Lol. It is thoughtful and not impersonal. And frankly if I want Body wash n Lotion or a mug that says #1 teacher or holiday cookies, I will buy em myself. You dont make alot of money working with kids and it will probably be a wonderful christmas blessing. Thx for being generous to someone so important to you lil one!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    If you're uncomfortable giving cash, what about a nice gift certificate for a local spa? I'm sure (especially as a babysitter) that she would enjoy some pampering...pedicure, massage, facial, etc.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    My son is in daycare and has a morning teacher with an aid and an afternoon teacher with an aid for a total of 4. I am giving each a Christmas ornament. I am not a big fan of his teacher but luckily she is leaving in January so I only have about 3 more weeks.

I did the same thing for his teacher last year and I LOVED her. At the end of the year when he was moving up, I gave her a nice gift certificate for a mani, pedi. She really liked that.
  • coe28
    Options
    Thank you so much for your answers! I was worried that cash would be too impersonal. I did a gift card for her birthday and she was really excited about it, I just thought she would like to see that crisp $100 bill :) She knows that I'm a single mother and don't have a lot of money so I'm hoping this would mean a lot to her. I just want to show her how thankful I am to have her!
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Cash is always welcome!

Another idea I did this year for my parents (who also have everything) is to buy a brick (fundraiser thing) at a sea turtle shelter that they frequent when they are down south. They loved it, and can't wait to "visit" their brick when they go down there in a month or so. So, if there is any cause, etc. that your babysitter is passionate about, can you make some sort of gesture in her name? A donation, or something like that?
  • coe28
    Options
    Oh that's a good idea too! I think that will be what I'll do for her birthday/daycare provider day (they fall in the same week). I think she'd love that! She's big on pets so I bet some sort of ASPCA donation would be great! Thanks for the idea!
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Cash is King!
  • If you donate to SPCA, find your local SPCA to donate to for her so you're helping local animals in trouble. They don't receive funds from ASPCA based in New York. I found out about that while reading the Ohio SPCA web site:
    "The Ohio SPCA is located and operates strictly in Ohio. We are not affiliated with the ASPCA which is based in New York. While we appreciate the publicity brought to helping abused animals by the ASPCA media campaign and television show on Animal Planet, many people mistakenly believe we are one and the same and the donation will be passed on to us. This is not the case. We are the ones in the trenches in Ohio, fighting for the animals."
    At the very least, double check the affiliation and know where your money is going :) Also, a lot of these animal shelter groups need things other than cash, and while the cash is handy, you may have something else on hand that could help tremendously (old blankets, saw dust, cleaning supplies, etc.) and it would be cheaper for them if you provide the item for them vs. just giving them the cash for them to purchase those items. Just something else to keep in mind!
  • coe28
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!! I didn't realize that about the SPCA, glad I do now!
  • Colleen1980
    Colleen1980 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    $100 is super thoughtful, I think! I lead an adult choir and last year they gave me a card full of money...I cried because it meant so much because honestly, who doesn't need extra money in December?!?!

I also worked in daycare before I became a teacher and we had a mom that always gave us money, wether it was cash or a nice gift card to a place we liked but couldn't usually afford to spend money at. EVERY teacher was so jealous we had her kid! lol!

If you go with money I promise she'll love it. :)
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    We have a fantastic babysitter also. I usually get her a gift certificate to a small business in town that has tanning, movie rental, and a small coffee shop in it. That way, if she wants to use it on herself she can or she can use it for her family and have a movie night or both! I usually wrap it up with a tub of microwave popcorn & movie candy. Sometimes you just need a night to chill as a mom, and she especially deserves it.
  • greenbubblegum
    greenbubblegum Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I give our daycare provider $100 cash (in a Christmas card with a personal note) every year. She has never complained!
  • coe28
    Options
    Well, cash it is! Thank you all for your input!! :)
  • mwright24skinny
    mwright24skinny Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am a homedaycare provider and $100 bucks is alot and she would truly love it.