New to MFP...need some friends!!

Options
Hi everyone. I'm Lisa, and I just recently (a week or two ago) signed up for MFP. I have basically the same story as lots of you, but it started a little differently than some. When I was about 2 years old, my I started gaining weight really quickly, and my parents took me to a half a dozen different doctors. I finally ended up at Mayo Clinic because no one could figure out what was wrong with me. The doctor at Mayo told my parents that I just have a really, REALLY slow metabolism, and in his words: "don't buy her a car; buy her lots and lots of running shoes, because if she ever wants to be a 'normal' size, she will have to run everywhere she goes." Well....for the last 29 years, I have allowed that to be an excuse, and I've allowed myself to remain overweight -- or as I like to call it, FAT!!

But....the turning point was when I had my daughter. When I left the hospital with her, I was THIRTY POUNDS LIGHTER than I was before I got pregnant!! (It was because I was eating healthy, getting more sleep than usual, and I didn't have a beer for 8 months!!) That was the first time in my life that it truly dawned on me that I CAN control my weight and that I don't have to let it control me. Of course, I vowed that I woudln't gain the weight back, but I did.

So here I am, my daughter is 4 years old, and I am starting over again. But this time is different....this time it's a conscious effort. When I started gettiing serious about losing the weight and eating (MUCH) healthier towards the end of October, I was 207lbs. As of this morning, I was 193.8. I think that is more weight than I've lost in any attempt, and I've stuck to it for longer than I have in the past.

I have a mid-term goal of being at 170lbs by June 1st, and a long term goal of being at 145lbs by next November 1st.

Anyhow, I'm sure I'm leaving things out, but I'm kind of nervous....this is the first time I've posted. I just really wanted to say hello, and a HUGE THANK YOU to all of you guys. I've been peeking at the boards over the last couple weeks, and reading everyone's stories and successes, and you have already been a HUGE inspiration and motivation to me.

So....if you feel so inclined, you can add me as a friend on here, but if not, just take my "thanks" and know how much you've already helped me on my journey!!

:):):) LISA

Replies

• LisaD1025
    LisaD1025 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    PS -- the picture I put on my profile is HORRIBLE!! That's the point -- I put the worst, frumpiest, fattest picture I could find so that every time I log in I know exactly what I DON'T want to look like any more! :)