Compound moves at the gym

Options
I've recently started lifting weight seriously. For the time being, I'm only doing isolation moves on machines because that's what seems easier for a beginner. Not in terms of workout but in terms of "practicality": my gym has air resistance machines who keep track of how much I lift so I don't have to remember all the numbers... ;-)

Anyway, from what I read here, compound moves seem to be more effective than isolation moves. But my question is, how not to look ridiculous? Because I've done lunges and squats in the past and I swear I'm not very good at it! I tend to lose my balance every other move or not to be able to go as deep as I'd like. So, my question is how not to be the clown of the free weight area? I terribly lack self-confidence and I really don't want to be "that" girl...

Replies

• alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Start with a little research on the internet. There are a great many sources for videos and animations that show you the proper technique and form for different free weight exercises. Put together a plan (write it down) that you can bring to the gym with you of exactly which exercises you plan to do. Then take a few minutes when you get to the gym to identify the equipment that you'll use for each of the exercises. Finally, start slow. Don't over do it on weight. Start light and don't worry about what you think other people might be thinking of you (chances are pretty good it's only paranoia in your own head). Start with light weights to make sure you get the form right and then you can start moving up to heavier weights.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Finally, start slow. Don't over do it on weight. Start light and don't worry about what you think other people might be thinking of you (chances are pretty good it's only paranoia in your own head). Start with light weights to make sure you get the form right and then you can start moving up to heavier weights.

I wanted to emphasize this. Safety is more important than anything when it comes to compound lifts. If a guy at the gym wants to chuckle behind my back because I'm doing a couple sets of squats with an empty bar so I can check my form, then I'll make sure to chuckle at him when he's in chronic pain for screwing his back up. :laugh:

So yeah, start slow, if it feels WAY too easy, then adjust, but make sure form is good first. And you say you can't squat as deep as you'd like, that comes with repetition and work. You do what you can, and your body will adapt.
  • benihanagirl
    benihanagirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've seen the following sites posted on these fora somewhere.... I've found them to be good reading (I'm also wanted to get a little more serious about lifting, but so far, I've been scared.)

http://www.stumptuous.com/
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/
  • stinastudios
    stinastudios Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do a regular lunge or squat in the beginning either. What helped me learn to do squats correctly was doing squats up against a wall leaning against an exercise ball. It helps you keep your back straight while you go into a squat, and helps strengthen your legs for doing a regular squat later.

As for lunges, the first couple of sets I did I had a hand lightly touching a wall or ledge or counter. I tried my best not to put any weight onto that hand, instead it was just there to stablize me while I did the lunges. Another easier way to lunge is to step backwards into the lunge rather than forward,
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've recently started lifting weight seriously. For the time being, I'm only doing isolation moves on machines because that's what seems easier for a beginner. Not in terms of workout but in terms of "practicality": my gym has air resistance machines who keep track of how much I lift so I don't have to remember all the numbers... ;-)

Anyway, from what I read here, compound moves seem to be more effective than isolation moves. But my question is, how not to look ridiculous? Because I've done lunges and squats in the past and I swear I'm not very good at it! I tend to lose my balance every other move or not to be able to go as deep as I'd like. So, my question is how not to be the clown of the free weight area? I terribly lack self-confidence and I really don't want to be "that" girl...

Practice at home doing body weight only exercises. You can do body weight squats at home in your living room. You can do static lunges at home during commercials watching TV or whatever. I would also suggest reading up or watching videos on good form about both of these exercises. Work on getting lower and lower on your squats and lunges.

Some other things that help are RDL's (single leg Romanian dead lifts) for balance. Basically, you stand up straight. Then, you bend forward to touch the ground as one of your back legs comes off the ground and stretches out straight behind you. It works on the same muscles as squats/dead lifts and helps immensely with balance. You can hold onto a chair if you need to or have a wall or something in arms reach to grab if you really fall off balance. Work on these. They do really, truly help.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Literally pretend you're the only one there. It works. I've fallen on my *kitten* doing jump squats to failure, I laugh out loud and get back to business. I don't try to see who saw me because I'm the only one there, right? I've had the barbell get stuck on my chest (twice) because I like to work out SOLO! In that case I asked for help and back to business. Nobody will knock you for trying and if they do, they're stupid. Only way to get better is to take risks and put yourself out there. The best of the best have their bloopers.
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I just started getting into compound moves myself. Actually yesterday was my first day in the "scary" free weight room. I didn't want to be THAT girl either so I asked one of my close male friends to go with me and show me the ropes so I didn't look so foolish and after he showed me what to do I felt a lot more confident. If you don't have someone to show you the ropes just go in there like you own the joint and do what you can. Most people aren't looking at you, they're worried about themselves. I also read up on what to do and how to do it and watched a few videos before attempting the free weight room. The first 10 mins I felt like a fish out of water but then I got more confident and after it was done I felt like such a badass!!! Now I can't wait to go try it again :)