steel cut oats ? again...

Options
alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
I am soaking a cup of steel cut oats overnight. I followed the instructions I found online, boiled 4 cups of water, added 1 cup of the oats, stirred until the water was absorbed. I covered the pot and it will soak overnight. Then in the morning I will portion out some and cook for a little bit with milk and add some almonds or walnuts, fruit and enjoy!!! Here is my problem...I bought these from bulk so I dont have a nutrition label. The nutrition info found here says 1/4 cup dry. I was told once it yields 1/2 cup but now I found in the internet that 1/4 cup dry yields 1 cup cooked. Which one is it???? And after they are soaked I am guessing that it is pretty much considered cooked so...am I safe to spoon out 1 cup of oats and that will be the serving? Yes, I am confused!!! :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am soaking a cup of steel cut oats overnight. I followed the instructions I found online, boiled 4 cups of water, added 1 cup of the oats, stirred until the water was absorbed. I covered the pot and it will soak overnight. Then in the morning I will portion out some and cook for a little bit with milk and add some almonds or walnuts, fruit and enjoy!!! Here is my problem...I bought these from bulk so I dont have a nutrition label. The nutrition info found here says 1/4 cup dry. I was told once it yields 1/2 cup but now I found in the internet that 1/4 cup dry yields 1 cup cooked. Which one is it???? And after they are soaked I am guessing that it is pretty much considered cooked so...am I safe to spoon out 1 cup of oats and that will be the serving? Yes, I am confused!!! :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I think it doubles up in size, so 1/4 c. of dry = 1/2 c. cooked (same with old fashioned, I make 1/2 c. dry but it = 1 cup cooked). So if you're going for 1 cup of steel cut oats, that would be 1/2 c. dry. HTH! :bigsmile: