I hate eating

Options
I have been in starvation mode for probably half my life...I am really struggling to get in my calories, yesterday I consumed 900ish before I went to the gym last night, then to try to make up for being so low in calories, I had ice cream...yeah healthy right? I am a stay at home mom of an almost 2 and almost 5 yr old, so I have to fix food for them and give them snacks but by the time they are taken care of whatever I fixed doesn't look good, or they are already done w/their snacks and need help doing something else. I started this journey Oct. 16th started in the gym Oct 22nd, I have lost 10 lbs and 14.5 inches so I'm not doing terrible... This is the first week I have had so much trouble getting in my calories. Anyone have snack ideas that are cheap and easy that I can eat and keep up w/my kids at the same time???

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you don't like eating, try calorie-dense foods like nuts, nuts butter and avocado slices!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    OP: Peanut butter is high in calories and the possibilities that you could use if for are endless.
  • sdailey4
    sdailey4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you don't like eating, try calorie-dense foods like nuts, nuts butter and avocado slices!

Those are often my go to foods to get my calories, often start w/them as breakfast but guess this week I just haven't thought about it thanks for the reminder!!!
  • mvandommelen
    Options
    Eat protein and fiber rich foods, fruits, veggies, protein bars, drink milk, nuts are good, peanut butter, whole grain breads and cereals. I eat a lot of Kashi foods, they are filling and taste great! But the less you eat, the more you risk going into starvation mode and then your body won't burn fat. Just imagine how you would feel if your kids were not eating or getting the nutrition they need, you would make them eat, so do the same for yourself!
  • FitandPrettywithME
    Options
    Snack ideas: A piece of fruit (apple, banana, orange), Fiber One Bar, Nutri-Grain Bar, yogurt (I love Activia but any is fine), pistachios or almonds (I guess any nut is fine), wheat thins, carrots and/or celery with fat free dip, hummus and pita chips. Or since you don't like eating, drink your calories i.e. protein shake or ensure. Hope everything works out and GOOD LUCK!!

8003386.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sdailey4
    Options
    My trainer told me just last night to drink my calories. How quickly I have forgotten. Think I will put a note on the fridge so when I look in there and nothing looks good I can fall back on my protein shake :) Thank you !!!
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    what kind of snacks are you giving your kids? why not eat what you give them?
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    hit the jar...of peanut butter!
  • sdailey4
    Options
    Also, Obviously I could get calories the easy way, a bowl of ice cream, a cheese burger, drink soda etc, however that's just as unhealthy long term as not meeting my calorie goals. I don't keep this stuff in our house b/c I want to teach my children healthy eating habits, and my biggest wake up call was the day I realized my son was eating as infrequently as I had been..I have done well for 6 weeks just need my brain to kick in, or reminders as you all have given on how to do it, and remember that it's worth it and not give up!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Try planning your meals and snacks ahead. A lot of times when I don't "feel like" eating it's really that I don't feel like thinking about it and dealing with it. Does that make sense? If I have my meals and snacks planned ahead of time, I know what to grab, and I don't have to think about it, I can just do it.
  • sdailey4
    Options

Fruit, yogurt, cereal, crackers, animal cookies... by the time I get both of them what each one wants the other is wanting to get down and and then I have a mess to clean up so then I forget that I didn't eat a snack with them, or I take the time that they are stuck at the table to have a breather away from them :/
  • sdailey4
    Options
    Try planning your meals and snacks ahead. A lot of times when I don't "feel like" eating it's really that I don't feel like thinking about it and dealing with it. Does that make sense? If I have my meals and snacks planned ahead of time, I know what to grab, and I don't have to think about it, I can just do it.

I need this^^^^ where do you find the time and discipline, do you do it the night before or for the week ???
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    diet > exercise

Instead of going to the gym why don't you use that time to plan/prepare your meals. Once your able to get a grip on your diet then start working exercise into your routine.
  • ajbeans
    Options

Fruit, yogurt, cereal, crackers, animal cookies... by the time I get both of them what each one wants the other is wanting to get down and and then I have a mess to clean up so then I forget that I didn't eat a snack with them, or I take the time that they are stuck at the table to have a breather away from them :/

Pro tip when dealing with more than one kiddo: ask them what they want (if you're giving them a choice), and prepare their snacks at the kitchen counter and serve them both at the same time instead of serving one and then serving the other. If you're going to have a snack with them, get yours ready before you serve it up too. They'll only have to wait a minute or so, but you'll have much less craziness, AND they'll get to enjoy your company while they have their snack. Everybody wins. :)
  • sdailey4
    Options
    diet > exercise

Instead of going to the gym why don't you use that time to plan/prepare your meals. Once your able to get a grip on your diet then start working exercise into your routine.

I need the gym for my sanity, I have way more patience then I did before and I am much happier. It's my one of the few adult interactions I have in my life.
  • ajbeans
    Options

I need this^^^^ where do you find the time and discipline, do you do it the night before or for the week ???

Doesn't take much time and discipline once you get into the habit. I used to plan my meals and snacks the night before. Close out my diary for the day, then fill it in for the next day. If something needed to change I was always flexible with it, but having it planned out kept me from having to make decisions in the moment. I also used to kind of have a rotation of meals and snacks, so for a week or so I'd have the same breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and just change the dinner. And then I'd get tired of that, so I'd start a different rotation for a week or so. Even fewer decisions to be made since I was eating the same things for a few days in a row. :) AND, if you have leftovers from dinner, those always make a good lunch, for you and for the kiddos. Easy, healthy, and yummy. What's not to love?

** I say "used to" because I've not been doing well with any of my healthy habits since getting ill a couple of months ago. So don't look at my current diary. :laugh:
  • sdailey4
    Options
    ajbeans ~ thanks I feel dumb when I don't think outside the box to resolve issues, but that will help a lot then maybe we can have conversations versus food being thrown every where during snacks/meals :)
  • ajbeans
    Options
    ajbeans ~ thanks I feel dumb when I don't think outside the box to resolve issues, but that will help a lot then maybe we can have conversations versus food being thrown every where during snacks/meals :)

Don't feel dumb. We get into a rut, and it's hard to get out of it because you're just so dang busy trying to make it through the day! :) That's why it's good to ask people for help.