calories are calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Yup. Calories are calories. You may find it easier to eat less calories when eating healthier foods, though.

Every time I check my calories consumed vs the calories MFP calculates that I burn and add it up for the course of a few weeks, I've found that I have lost almost exactly what I 'should' based on 3500 calories equaling a pound. That while eating plenty of 'junk' food and also some healthy food too.

You theoretically could eat nothing but ice cream and McDonalds and if its within your calorie range you WILL lose weight, it just wouldn't be healthy.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You are right. Calories are calories. Water is water. Bunnies are bunnies.

BUT your body still needs nutrients to function properly. You might as well eat nutritionally rich foods.

Also, processed sugar and flour pass through the system and leaves you hungry quicker. Fat, Protein and Fiber will "stick to the ribs" a little more and make you feel fuller for a longer period of time.

So if you ask me, there are good calories that come packed with good stuff. And bad calories that are empty.

Basically, you should also take a look at what else it provides.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Just because you can yell that people don't provide lists of websites with the facts doesn't mean it is wrong try reading a book once in a while. or maybe just do the research yourself.

By the same token, "facts" told by someone who claims to have studies (and even puts the word in caps) shouldn't be taken for granted. The onus here is on someone who claims there's research done.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    actually studies have shown that all are not the same. if you eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, your body will burn more during the day metabolism wise.we can process natural foods so much easier than processed. so, our bodies really arent meant to eat all that junk anyway. if you eat clean, you stand a better chance of losing quicker and keeping it off easier. dont ask me which study because of course I cant remember where I read it but it makes sense.

Stop making things up.

If you're going to claim that "studies have shown" please be prepared to back your claims with the actual studies.
    Look into all those preservatives in junk food most turn into fermaldihide in your fat....I have and STUDIES do show that the body doesn't process dyes, synthetic filler as well and tends to store the excess into your fat cells or into your liver and kidney walls. Just because you can yell that people don't provide lists of websites with the facts doesn't mean it is wrong try reading a book once in a while. or maybe just do the research yourself. You wonder why people are getting so much food allergies lately reports show 3 out of 6 children in school have a food allergy where as 10 years ago 1 and 10 did our bodies are breaking down and getting sick off the fake food and chemically processed plastic things that are being produced. If you really want answers go on an all organic diet and see how your body responds!

irisheyes523: This is why MFP has the "ignore" button - for abrasive know-it-alls like that. You said it, and it's 100% true,.
    Forget the retort, and keep telling it like it is. Calories are NOT calories.

Ignoring your detractors is equivalent to shoving your head firmly up your *kitten*.

Support your claims or STFU. Parroting the same thing over and over is not the same as "evidence".
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    Just because you can yell that people don't provide lists of websites with the facts doesn't mean it is wrong try reading a book once in a while. or maybe just do the research yourself.

By the same token, "facts" told by someone who claims to have studies (and even puts the word in caps) shouldn't be taken for granted. The onus here is on someone who claims there's research done.

Yup. Don't claim you have 'fact's and 'studies' unless you can back it up. End of story.
    I could claim there are 'studies' that have shown that eating 16 oz of ice cream a day will make you live up to 5 years longer. That doesn't make it true or even a valid thing to consider, unless I can link to proof of such studies existing.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    here's a fun one (i know small sample size though)

Bray GA et. al. Hormonal Responses to a Fast-Food Meal Compared with Nutritionally Comparable Meals of Different Composition. Ann Nutr Metab. 2007 May 29;51(2):163-171

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17536194
    METHOD: Six overweight men were given a standard breakfast at 8:00 a.m. on each of 3 occasions, followed by 1 of 3 lunches at noon. The 3 lunches included: (1) a fast-food meal consisting of a burger, French fries and root beer sweetened with high fructose corn syrup; (2) an organic beef meal prepared with organic foods and a root beer containing sucrose, and (3) a turkey meal consisting of a turkey sandwich and granola made with organic foods and an organic orange juice. Glucose, insulin, free fatty acids, ghrelin, leptin, triglycerides, LDL-cholesterol and HDL-cholesterol were measured at 30-min intervals over 6 h. Salivary cortisol was measured after lunch.

RESULTS:
    Total fat, protein and energy content were similar in the 3 meals, but the fatty acid content differed. The fast-food meal had more myristic (C14:0), palmitic (C16:0), stearic (C18:0) and trans fatty acids (C18:1) than the other 2 meals. The pattern of nutrient and hormonal response was similar for a given subject to each of the 3 meals. The only statistically significant acute difference observed was a decrease in the AUC of LDL cholesterol after the organic beef meal relative to that for the other two meals. Other metabolic responses were not different.

CONCLUSION:
    LDL-cholesterol decreased more with the organic beef meal which had lesser amounts of saturated and trans fatty acids than in the fast-food beef meal.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have done research actually my husband has a rare condition that he can't have caffiene, wheat, gluten, or any artificial flavors or dyes. They cause him to bloat and get rashes and constant diaherrea we've spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching the conditions and facts finally found that his body can't process these things and they sit in his small intestine and rot which cause his body to go into a schock state and try to expel the poison thru the quickest means the skin and the bowels.
    I myself have an allergy to lactose and my four kids all have allergies to gluten and dyes so please don't tell me modified food doesn't cause havoc in your body and suppress your immune system.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    so if you eat lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains throughout the day to give you your total calorie goal, is it the same as if you eat something not as good for you and you are at the same calorie goal?

Lots of sillyness in this thread.

First of all, in a literal sense a calorie is a calorie. It's a unit of energy.

As it pertains to weight loss:

If you don't have any intolerances to certain foods (additionally, insulin resistance and diabetes) then your weight loss will be determined by energy balance (calories in vs out) and within the term energy balance I'm accounting for thermic effect of food just in case some other smarty pants like myself tries to come in here and call me on it.

As it pertains to your specific example:

You can lose weight eating candy bars all day if you stay in a deficit. BUT, you'll eventually suffer from all sorts of crap you don't want, because you'll be very lacking in micronutrients and you'll also be pretty miserable since the quantity of crap you can eat will be much lower than the quantity of whole foods you could eat at the same caloric intake. EDIT: Additionally, you'll lose plenty of lean mass (bad) due to inadequate protein.

I would recommend eating "mostly" nutrient dense foods and I'd also recommend eating "some" junk food, if you're capable of limiting it to "some -- all the while staying in your desired calorie range and hitting your macros.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I have done research actually my husband has a rare condition that he can't have caffiene, wheat, gluten, or any artificial flavors or dyes. They cause him to bloat and get rashes and constant diaherrea we've spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching the conditions and facts finally found that his body can't process these things and they sit in his small intestine and rot which cause his body to go into a schock state and try to expel the poison thru the quickest means the skin and the bowels.
    I myself have an allergy to lactose and my four kids all have allergies to gluten and dyes so please don't tell me modified food doesn't cause havoc in your body and suppress your immune system.

It doesn't

You have no evidence that the cause of your condition is "modified food". NONE.

That's like saying that nobody should eat shellfish because you're allergic to it.
  • Elisirmon
    Options
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories yes, but its the macro-nutrients (protein, carbohydrates, fats) and micro-nutrients (vitamins and minerals) within the food that nurture your body. A calorie is a unit of energy, so a calorie to your body is like fuel to a car. But of course, you want the best fuel to make your car run the best :)
  • Umeboshi
    Options

Anecdotal evidence does not count as 'research'.
    SOME people have gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, and allergies (to the flavors, dyes, and caffeine).
    The existence of these intolerances in SOME people does not mean you can make a sweeping generalization saying that these foods are bad for everyone.
    By the way, lactose is not a 'modified' food. Lactose occurs naturally in milk.
    Gluten is a protein composite in foods made from ground wheat and related grains.
    Wiki says:
    Gluten forms when glutenin molecules cross-link to form a sub-microscopic network attached to gliadin, which contributes viscosity (thickness) and extensibility to the mix.[3] If this dough is leavened with sugar, fermentation produces carbon dioxide bubbles, which, trapped by the gluten network, cause the dough to rise. Baking coagulates the gluten, which, along with starch, stabilizes the shape of the final product.
    But maybe in your mind any food that is ground, mixed, or cooked is 'modified'.
  • megansoriano
    Options
    I really just wanted to show off my custom Christmas made ticker. . .

11527915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    bump
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I go by the calories are calories but I try not to eat junk. I try to get the most out of my calories....something that will keep me full and satisfied and give me energy....Like a candy bar vs a piece of fruit....sure they both have a good bit of sugar but the fruit has fiber and other nutrients and is not processed (if it's fresh).
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, yes.

I used to believe this, but now I'm not so sure what I believe. I was stuck on a 14 week plateau eating a normal, well rounded healthy diet at around 1450-1550 cals per day. I was also stuck at this same exact weight 2.5 years ago for 6 mos (& then gave up). This time, I was determined to keep switching things up until I could get the scale to move. Nothing was working until i added considerably more protein to my diet (130g) through food choices & 100% whey protein powder, while keeping my calories at the same 1550 that I was eating before. Within 2 weeks I was down 1.5 lbs below my low weight.
    So, apparently, for some of us, WHAT your calories are coming from does make a difference for weight loss. I am hoping the losses will continue (and I believe it will!).
  • Elisirmon
    Options
    Fools will dispute anything, I like my diet I feel healthier on it and the reason I use MFP is because it takes into account all macro's why are you here?
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Fools will dispute anything, I like my diet I feel healthier on it and the reason I use MFP is because it takes into account all macro's why are you here?

1. Fools might dispute something, or they might not. There's nothing inherent to being foolish that involves being contrary. A fool could follow someone blindly, for example.

2. I don't believe that anyone ever disputed the idea that you like your diet, or even that it works for you; to bring that up at all seems a little tangential.

3. Asking why someone is here also seems just a bit off-topic. It also indicates that you perhaps don't know why people were questioning what they were questioning.

Your anecdotal advice and references to research have value, but they would have more value if they were backed up. That's the point of rational discussion.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, yes.

I used to believe this, but now I'm not so sure what I believe. I was stuck on a 14 week plateau eating a normal, well rounded healthy diet at around 1450-1550 cals per day. I was also stuck at this same exact weight 2.5 years ago for 6 mos (& then gave up). This time, I was determined to keep switching things up until I could get the scale to move. Nothing was working until i added considerably more protein to my diet (130g) through food choices & 100% whey protein powder, while keeping my calories at the same 1550 that I was eating before. Within 2 weeks I was down 1.5 lbs below my low weight.
    So, apparently, for some of us, WHAT your calories are coming from does make a difference for weight loss. I am hoping the losses will continue (and I believe it will!).

There is a school of thought that some people need more protein than carbs and other people are vice versa, they need more carbs than protein. So that is why there is a lot of difference in what "works" for people. Everyone has to find that balance. Has anyone ever heard that?
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    calories are calories but some make you feel better and you have a lot more energy.