1st half marathon this Sunday! Need 3-day pre-event food/wo

Options
So I'm finally here. This Sunday is my first half marathon! The weather is going beautiful but a bit cool with a starting temperature right around freezing. I've done my 12-week training plan with my local run club so I should be ready in that department. (Did break a toe a few weeks ago but I'm not gonna let that stop me. It's healing pretty well. I can run on it but it does swell a bit on the longer runs.) So here are my plans and questions, food-wise and exercise-wise, now that I'm 3 days out.

3-DAY PRE-EVENT FOOD PLAN: I'm planning on glycogen-loading for the 3 days leading up to the event: good carbs, not crappy empty carbs. I'm doing a few big salads with tons of spinach, diced tomatoes, bell peppers, dried cranberries, feta crumbles, and balsamic vinegar. I also have been doing baked sweet potatoes with just a pinch of cinnamon or brown sugar. I know spinach and sweet potatoes are both super foods and loaded with good carbs. What else do you suggest?

3-DAY PRE-EVENT EXERCISE PLAN: I've been tapering my runs per the training plan this week. However, Friday and Saturday I have a few holiday parties (furninshed meals, not just munchies; not potluck so I can't bring a healthy item) and will have to balance that with my good glycogens. :-O So should I run a bit or do a bit of spinning on Friday and Saturday to help balance out the extra crap? Or just let it ride and eat my sweet potatoes and spinach in between to keep me from having to eat too much crap at those events? I don't want to be a total downer at the events but Sunday is kind of a big day for me!

Replies

• Jennlovescupcakes
    Options
    I am new this site but I started running two and half years ago (couch to 5k then to half marathons-3 halfs done so far). There are folks out there who don't subscribe to the carb loading prior to a race. I love carbs so I like the idea it works. I know I need good fiber foods AM of (I can't run on an empty stomach) and something salty the night before to help me retain water. I used to race with water bottles but now I try to drink a bunch of water the couple days before and use the water stops if needed during good weather races. I love the 100 cal caffeine jelly beans. I eat some 30 mins before the race then take another pack along to take 2 or 3 at mile 6, a couple at mile 8..works for me. :)

My sister ran on a broken toe for a half (very hilly course) and did fine for the race. She didn't get it diagnosed until after the race bc she didn't want the MD to tell her not to run in the race.

Anyway, sorry I can't be more helpful but congrats on your first half!!!!

Oh, regarding tapering..I try to cross train (bike or walk) the couple of days before the race. Nothing crazy but 15-30 mins.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 (having run 24 marathons and 30+ halfs) - no need to overthink it. In a half marathon, most runners aren't out there long enough to deplete their glycogen stores. It tends to be more of a 3 hours/20 miles thing - hence runners hitting "the wall" at mile 20.

My biggest concern is not eating too much fiber the day before the race. The last thing I want to do is stop in a porta-potty. The night before a race I make sure to steer clear of salads (which will go right through me).

Anyway, there is an important saying: nothing new on race day. I would extend that to the days leading up to the race as well. Eat that which you are used to eating.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'd say for your first half just show up and run the race! Don't worry about the details. Just run it, see how you do, and adjust from there for next time. You'll immediately know what you should/should not have done.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I think you've got a good plan laid out -- just don't eat anything new to you. Pretty sure GI issues would be the worst way to enter the world of the Half Marathon!!

Also -- don't worry about working out Friday/Saturday. You want to be well-rested. You could maybe go for a walk or short jog on Friday, but I think rest before the race is more important.

Enjoy your parties, go over a little, just don't go too crazy!! You've likely been training hard, you've earned it. :)

Good luck!!! Very excited for you!!