Tofu

Options
Ok Im new to tofu, Ive never had it but really want to try it. Im going to buy some from the supermarket today but what do I do with it? I read something about having to marinate it? Any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    the way i used to eat it is cold with some soy sauce and these fish flake things. pretty traditional japanese dish. I would imagine you would have to get the fish flake things from an Asian market.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    the way i used to eat it is cold with some soy sauce and these fish flake things. pretty traditional japanese dish. I would imagine you would have to get the fish flake things from an Asian market.

They're bonito flakes. :) We used to eat it with bonito as well, but instead of soy, we used oyster sauce and a drizzle of sesame oil, and some chopped green onions on top of the bonito. Super delicious. Also, use silken/soft tofu with this.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I used to love tofu, but after reading about how completely awful soybeans are for humans (other than when they are fermented, as is traditionally eaten in Asian cultures), I have almost completely cut it out. I'll still eat it once in a while, but I don't buy it or order it anymore.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    ive had to ease into it, to get my kids to eat it. the first time i used it i just blended it up in the food processor with some onion and pesto sauce and used it as filling for stuffed shells. ive put it in soups before (hot and sour ftw) but thats about all ive got
  • Akahime
    Akahime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like to buy the extra firm. You will have to drain the brine and wrap it in a towel with something heavy on top of it to absorb the moisture before cooking. My favorite way lately is to season it with a spice rub and grill it on the George Foreman since it's too cold outside for the grill right now. It's also delicious marinated in soy sauce, ginger, and garlic then pan fried with sesame oil. I also like to cube it and add to soups. You can even crumble it and prepare it like scrambled eggs. If you want it uncooked, buy the medium firm instead it's good cubed on a salad and you won't have to do the towel part.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options

They're bonito flakes. :) We used to eat it with bonito as well, but instead of soy, we used oyster sauce and a drizzle of sesame oil, and some chopped green onions on top of the bonito. Super delicious. Also, use silken/soft tofu with this.

that sounds pretty good
  • Akahime
    Akahime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I used to love tofu, but after reading about how completely awful soybeans are for humans (other than when they are fermented, as is traditionally eaten in Asian cultures), I have almost completely cut it out. I'll still eat it once in a while, but I don't buy it or order it anymore.

I never heard of this, I always thought soybeans (edamame) are quite a healthy source of calcium and low GI to boot. I know too much soy can be bad for women because of breast cancer risk factors but everything is bad for you if not eaten in moderation.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    What
    area your thoughts on tempeh & what do you with It?
    [/quaaote]
  • Alymclement
    Alymclement Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use my tofu (firm) in Chili! Give it a try. you can look it up on Allrecipies.com there are tons of variations!
  • maryd523
    Options

I never heard of this, I always thought soybeans (edamame) are quite a healthy source of calcium and low GI to boot. I know too much soy can be bad for women because of breast cancer risk factors but everything is bad for you if not eaten in moderation.

That's what I always thought, too. And it doesn't help that soy is pushed as being really healthy. However, the arguments against soy are very compelling.
  • maryd523
    Options
    What
    area your thoughts on tempeh & what do you with It?
    [/quaaote]

Yes, fermented tofu products, such as tempeh and miso, are much safer because the toxins that are so harmful to humans are removed by the process. I don't personally use tempeh at home, but I have nothing against it and you just motivated me to look for recipes.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    In college a roommate of mine was a vegan and she ate it all the time and would cook it with vegetables she said it would take on the flavor of whatever it was cooked with. I tried it once and that is all I could take the texture is too weird for me. Also my doctor said you have to be careful with soy eat too much of it and it causes breast pain.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I love tofu and used to eat it all the time -- you can just cook it up - season it how you want.... pretty easy....

BUT if you're a female trying to lose weight.... Not a great idea to eat it much -- makes you produce more estrogen which can make you hold weight..... (i was in a plateau when I stopped eating it, a week or so after I stopped eating, I started dropping weight fast again!)
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thank you Mary.
    I bought some recently,and alone it tasted......
    Let's just sayits back in the frig, forgotten until
    This post game up.