work out at home or the gym?

Options
I recently heard that people are getting better results using programs such as insanity and p90x versus working out at the gym. Thoughts?

Replies

• Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I tried to workout at home, but lacked the motivation, I have gotten my best results since joining the gym and MFP. I'm motivated to go to the gym, I like the atmosphere there at the gym. There are some people that can put in a workout video at home and do that or use a home gym, I found out I can't, to many excuses at home to not workout and I had a treadmill, free weights, machine, etc. so I think it depends a lot on the person vs the program the use. P90x would do me no good because I wouldn't use it.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If you don't really know what to do in the gym to get the results you're looking for, a program that spells it out for you and shows you what to do is great. I'm doing the 30 day shred simply b/c it came holy recommended and otherwise I wouldn't really know what moves to start with and might not push myself as hard. I mean before I got it I was just using the treadmill and doing the occasional bicep curl. LOL However people that actually know what they're doing in the gym, or take classes, or get a personal trainer, probably get the same or better results, assuming diet is controlled for. Just a guess but I'm thinking it's all about motivation, dedication, variety, pushing yourself etc. And actually having some knowledge of what exercises to do. Which yes you can do at home or in the gym. Personally I'm not at a point where I'd know what to do in the gym yet and don't want to pay for a trainer, so I'm just working out at home for now. But I'd love to 'move up' and hit the gym for weightlifting and other cool stuff that I don't have access to at home, one of these days. People get crazy awesome results from weightlifting.

It also depends on your goals. If you're looking to build a lot of muscle and/or strength but don't have the necessary equipment at home, you need to hit the gym. If you're looking to do cardio, you can do that anywhere.
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    When it's pretty I'd rather walk 4 miles than any other exercise. I also go to the gym when I don't walk outside. If I don't go to the gym or walk outside I do the gazelle at home. If I do none of the above and it's in the warmer months I like to do water aerobics. I just like to stay active and I like to change it up. :)
  • rjpittner
    rjpittner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a very busy life during the week and don't really have time to go to the gym. Back when I used to try to go every night after work, I would always come up with excuses, or didn't want to drive there if it was snowing and the roads were bad. I also hated waiting in line to use the equipment, being creeped on, and the feeling that someone somewhere was always watching my every move.
    I absolutely love working out at home as I can do it whenever I have time- there are NO excuses because I have everything I need right here. I actually come home over my lunch break and do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I find it's almost easier to stay motivated when doing a workout DVD because you can literally do it whenever you want. I know there are some gyms that are 24/7, but that requires you to get together all your gym junk, get in the car, drive there, work out until you are fatigued, and then drive back home.
    I'm sure it varies from person to person based on certain preferences regarding the actual workout and surroundings, but I personally love working out at home :)
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I prefer to exercise at home. As already mentioned you need to be self-motivated and know what you are doing. I used to take classes at the YMCA and that taught me good form etc... Now...I just do those exercises at home. I also just started the 30-Day Shred video to mix it up. I've tried Yoga a couple of times and thing I would like doing it regularly. I need to invest in a good video and get after it. Like another poster on this thread, I don' want people *Watching* me while I work out. I don't need someone else's sweat all over the place. Many people I knew at the gym did more socializing than working out. I prefer at home.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I love working out at home. I have my own personal gym. I used to go to the gym years ago, only because it was free. I don't care that the gym is free, I rather workout at home.
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I tried to workout at home, but lacked the motivation, I have gotten my best results since joining the gym and MFP. I'm motivated to go to the gym, I like the atmosphere there at the gym. There are some people that can put in a workout video at home and do that or use a home gym, I found out I can't, to many excuses at home to not workout and I had a treadmill, free weights, machine, etc. so I think it depends a lot on the person vs the program the use. P90x would do me no good because I wouldn't use it.

almost exactly how i feel

for some reason I can get up drive to the gym get a great workout in and come home - but if i try to do it at home, just too many distractions - I remember I used to be so self conscious about going to the gym but after i plug in the headphones now I just ignore everyone else
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I've slowly picked up equiptment and accessories throughout the years at home, its nice having a variety of stuff, not having to dress up or go out in bad weather.

I checked the local stores every few days and got most of it on sale, saved a couple hundred bucks.

Maybe weights and stuff isn't your thing, but even investing in an ellipcal or something else you'd keep up with wouldn't be a terrible idea.

The alternative I guess is a gym membership...if you're gonna actually use it.

I just don't like being out in public.

Kinda like bigfoot.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

^^ This.

I've found I can come up with a ton of excuses to NOT workout at home (hey, my couch is right there.. looking at me and boy is it comfy!) whereas when I have a gym membership - I use it.

So. To each their own. I have respect for those who can workout at home and stick with it. I can't.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I do some of both. I have a gym membership with locations close to home AND work (and it's paid for by my company), and a yoga studio membership near my house that I pay for myself. I do my lifting at the gym. We also have a small fitness room in our apartment complex which is nice if it's too cold or rainy and I just want to get a short run in, so I don't have to drive to the gym. I'll run outside and do some calisthenics at home (not really much of a video workout person).
  • mseper
    mseper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's totally up to the individual where they feel comfortable. I personally need to get out of the house and into a gym as I don't have the motivation at home plus its to easy to sit down in front of the tv and come up with excuses not to exercise.

For those who are afraid of the gym because they are not sure how to work the machines or feel inferior to the muscle heads or real fit people, most clubs offer free trainers for the first 30 days so you get comfortable wit the equipment.

Another thought is join a club with a love one or a friend. You can challenge and motivate each other.

As long as you are exercising and eating properly you can achieve your goals no matter where you work out.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I try to get to the gym at least twice a week. He needs to work his knee and I need to work on everything. In between, I try to do some exercises at home but not as motivated as I am when I go to the gym. So whatever works best for you.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i do abit of both but personally i prefer going to the gym. something about seeing others exercising as well motivates me plus after being at my current gym for over a year, i feel i have also developed a little social network which does help.

i occasionlly resort to working out at home when i am short on time and the journey to and from the gym is going to defeat the purpose. i aim to work out at least 4 days a week which normally involves both saturday and sunday and at least 2 weekdays. as on weekdays i get my exercise in before work, i need to be up by at least 5:45 am to make it to the gym in time to do a workout and be back home to get ready for work. some mornings i dont quite meet my 5:45 target (i refuse to set my alarm for then!) so i will pop in an exercise video instead.
  • raineraven78
    raineraven78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great feedback everyone! I agree that it depends on the person and situation. I think there are benefits to both and I enjoy both. I definately like the atmosphere of being at the gym and having a variety of equipment for strength training. But it's also nice to be at home and not have to "get ready" to go to the gym. Having said that - what are some great at home videos?
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I need people so I love the gym :) We're all in this together feeling
  • maryblck
    maryblck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Motivations is a big part of it!! I have several videos or workout games at home but I have to have the motivation to do it (or at least the smallest of the kids out of the way!). But I personally can't afford the gym so most days I am able to get up and do the workouts. But it does make a difference when you don't have a buddy or other people around to push you a little bit.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

Same for me. And my gym is in my workplace, so I change in my office and go straight after work. I don't have the drive home to come up with excuses not to work out! Works great for me. I am doing the 30 Day Shred at home, but I can commit to something for 30 days. Even though I don't socialize much, I enjoy and am motivated by other people getting fit with me!
  • nmj1988
    nmj1988 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    agreed!
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have found that during the week it easier to work out at home. I do like going to the gym but with work being so hectic going home and working out is just easier. I have been switching up the Jillian Michael DVDs... No more trouble zones, ripped in 30, and boost your metabolism. Also I do the p90x DVDs.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    it depends on the person. I don't feel as motivated at home.... of course i work at home, so i like getting out and going to the gym every day (maybe I'm weird) but the gym is one of my favorite places to be!