How much protein is good?

Options
I have been tossing this around for the last year. My boyfriend is a professional body builder and eats protein like it's his job! I always thought that too much protein would make me gain weight. I've also heard that it is hard on your kidneys etc. But I have found that when I up my intake of protein my body seems to tighten up. I already have good muscle tone - except around my midsection. Bodybuilders claim that abs are made in the kitchen. I appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    1-1.5g of protein per lb of lbm.

and yup abs are made in the kitchen, a consistent caloric deficit will eventually shed the midsection fat
  • raineraven78
    raineraven78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That's consistent with what I've heard. Thanks.
  • Gabbahh
    Options
    VERY HARD to over eat protein. I've been eating 2g/lb in periods. Really makes me feel satiated. Notice very positive things in terms of body composition aswell.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eating a lot of protein can be hard on the kidneys, but unless your kidneys are damaged, it would be extremely hard to reach that level. Protein is a huge variable, as in the amount required can vary widely based on your goals and activity level. It can be as little as 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight for a sedentary individual that's on maintenance, up to 2+ grams per pound of bodyweight for body builders looking to add mass.

Of course, adding mass requires a calorie surplus, so even eating high levels of protein at a calorie deficit will not make you gain weight, the real challenge comes from maintaining the calorie deficit, as it's difficult to eat very high protein without adding in fat, which can raise total calorie levels up. It's all a balancing act.
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Eating a lot of protein can be hard on the kidneys, but unless your kidneys are damaged, it would be extremely hard to reach that level. Protein is a huge variable, as in the amount required can vary widely based on your goals and activity level. It can be as little as 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight for a sedentary individual that's on maintenance, up to 2+ grams per pound of bodyweight for body builders looking to add mass.

Of course, adding mass requires a calorie surplus, so even eating high levels of protein at a calorie deficit will not make you gain weight, the real challenge comes from maintaining the calorie deficit, as it's difficult to eat very high protein without adding in fat, which can raise total calorie levels up. It's all a balancing act.

your entirely right about the kidney thing - just wanted to elaborate a little, like they said unless you have kidney damage its a non issue, your kidney has an ion charge across it that repels protein very easily so unless you have nephron damage you will have no problem filtering it, so if anybody tells you too much protein will cause kidney damage they are inaccurate - the only way for a person with normal renal function to cause kidney damage from diet is typically under hydration

I go with about 1g per pound of lean body weight - but really I think it depends on what your goal is. Protein is a very good diet macro as well just because your body has a very hard time storing it, it can convert it to an immediate calorie source quickly, but it costs a lot of energy to convert protein to glycogen
  • raineraven78
    raineraven78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good information! Thank you. My only problem now is that I find it difficult to consume that much protein as I'm not much of a meat eater :) I try to do protein powder, greek yogurt, nuts and beans.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Good information! Thank you. My only problem now is that I find it difficult to consume that much protein as I'm not much of a meat eater :) I try to do protein powder, greek yogurt, nuts and beans.

I love meat, and I find it hard to get enough protein sometimes (around 170-200g/day). I could just cook up a lot of chicken, but I'm lazy so I end up getting a lot of whey. Per g of protein it's fairly cheap and hugely convenient. I can empathize.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    what tigersword said -
    Protein is a huge variable, as in the amount required can vary widely based on your goals and activity level. It can be as little as 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight for a sedentary individual that's on maintenance, up to 2+ grams per pound of bodyweight for body builders looking to add mass.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    *waves hand*

Question?! Where did POUND of lean body mass come from? Isn't it kilogram?