What do you do when you're hungry?

Options
Just wondering what you do when you've eaten your meal or morning/afternoon tea and you're still hungry....please don't say have a glass of water!!
I tend to eat extra fruit like strawberries or watermelon, sometimes a coffee.

Next question......

What do you say to yourself when you feel like you're about to go off the rails and about to embark on a binge?

Thanks

Replies

• treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I drink hot tea. I have all different flavors -pumpkin, ginger snap and eggnog from Bigelow. or I eat grapes or a salad with fat free dressing.

when I embark on a binge, I get on the treadmill and try to burn some of it off. I have 5 cookies I need to burn off now because I had to eat them. I'm wasting time now though. must. get. off. computer. NOW !
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of tea! Either green tea or lady grey, without sugar. No calories a cup :) great stuff. Although it doesn't completely get rid of the hunger, it does help somewhat until my next meal.
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I drink hot tea.

SNAP! :P
  • smltwngrl
    Options
    I like to chew gum. I makes my mouth feel like I am eating, without loading up on calories. Also- if it is minty, it deters me from eating right away
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    That happened to me today. I had a nice lunch, huge serving of broccoli, a salmon burger, and felt hungry 20 minutes later. Like REALLY hungry. I had already planned the rest of the day and did not want to give any of it up so no in between meal snack for me. Also, my knee is being a little tweaky so I couldn't get in more exercise to get more calories to eat. I put a piece of gum in my mouth and sat down and completed all my Christmas cards. It took two hours and by the time I was done I was not longer hungry and it was getting close to dinner time, thank goodness. So find something to distract yourself. I'm sure your house could use extra cleaning, something needs to be organized, whatever it may be.

As for the binge, that is my big problem. I haven't indulged in one since I started MFP though there have been a couple of times when I really wanted to. Not to say that I haven't gone over my calories, I usually do once a week when a special occasion occurs (which seems to happen a lot so not sure why I call them "special" occasions). For me I have finally reached the point where I am tired of the fat and for the first time truly want to weigh a normal weight more than I want the food. That is the bottom line. Of course all the other times I tried to lose weight I would have sworn I wanted to lose weight more than eat, but looking back I know it wasn't true. Because now it is and it feels so much different.

So decide what you really want out of life and figure out what it will take to get there, and are you willing to do that?
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I try to distract myself with something that has nothing to do with using my mouth. I'll often find that I'm not hungry half an hour later. Thinking about eating while not eating is not a good strategy.
  • When I start getting hungry late at night, I go to sleep before the cravings become overpowering. If I'm fast asleep, theres no way I'm getting out of my comfy, warm bed to go to the fridge.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    honestly...I eat! fruit, veggies, yogurt. I try not to go off on chips or candy or cupcakes but I'm not going to walk around being hungry and not being to concentrate or function....

when there's something yummy in the house and I think I might eat ALL OF IT, I leave the house, go for a run, go shopping, I even once put on my bathing suit and walked around in it so I wouldn't eat left over birthday cake ;) nothing like seeing yourself half naked to make you NOT want to binge.
  • CaoimheAine
    Options
    Go out and do something - maybe go to the gym, or else I'll have a coffee. If that fails I just face that I am hungry and give in to more food (healthy ops of course :P) I always leave extra cals in my food diary each day just in case though.
  • akkimberly
    akkimberly Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Work out! If I'm still hungry when I'm done then I eat, but at least I feel much better about eating... :)
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I eat. Then later, I get a really good calorie burn to negate what I ate. I usually work out twice a day so it doesn't happen often.
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth, someone told me they do that once, and ive done it ever since then...seems to work
  • amybell68
    amybell68 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yep!!! Brush your teeth!! thats what I do!! works every time :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I eat food.

When I really binge, I will go for a long walk after normally.
  • andrea7164
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Lots of great advice here, especially walking around in swimwear as that would certainly stop me in my tracks!
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungry, I eat.
  • ciaobellakiss
    Options
    I eat food.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If I am still hungry, Ill have a few nuts or something filling with protein and fat to curb the hunger and keep it at bay for a few hours. Even if I have to go over a few calories, that is far better than leaving it go and binging later. And yes, if Im not satisfied thats where the road leads. It happens to be an issue Im working on.
  • venetianz
    venetianz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i brush my teeth or use mouthwash.
  • mrsneen
    Options
    im in the tooth brushing gang, it really works!