No More Sandwiches! (I<3Sandwiches)

Options
eeeekie
eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
love_sandwiches1.jpg

I DO!!! But I wanna venture out.

My go-to lunch & no time dinners is always sandwiches. It's always been like that...since I can remember. I've never gone over carbs on MFP (well never say never but 99% of the time I don't even come close). Today was the first time I can remember going over on carbs and I know carbs aren't bad (well some are). I'm not the type to deprive myself and I won't stop eating carbs but I'd like to figure out quick, easy, filling lunch ideas and "no time to cook dinner" dinners.

Today (because I have no groceries until the weekend) I went to Trader Joe's and found a pre-made lunch. I got it because I just didn't feel like having a sandwich for lunch. I wanted to try something new. Anyway, that lunch was 56g of carbs! With the new stuff I tried today I was over on carbs by 4g.

Can I please get some non-sandwich ideas for lunches? Inexpensive, easy, quick and filling (lower sodium preferably)

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches are easy and quick and if you use a good bread that is full of whole grains, can be a pretty healthy choice (in my opinion!).
    But, if you are looking for a change, how about a salad made from the stuff you usually put in your sandwich with some tasty extra.
    Today's lunch was baby spinach leaves, fetta cheese, boiled egg, sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, steamed broccoli dressed with some left over salsa verde. Usually I would have left over chicken or meat or tuna with it, but today was a veggie lunch for a change.
    Often I will have one piece of bread (half a sandwich) with peanut butter, vegemite or avocado on the side to fill me up.
    Brown rice or left over pasta is great in a salad too if you like your carbs for lunch.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    One idea would be to make some crockpot soup (your own, so you have better control over the sodium), put in single-serve freezer containers, and then you've always got a go-to food. I do this with my lasagna also. It takes a while to make, so once it's cooled off (and I've already had a serving, of course! :laugh: ) I put it in freezer-save containers, and if I take it for my lunch, it defrosts some on its own, and if I want it for supper, I just throw it in the microwave for a bit and it's quick and easy. I've been wanting to play around and see what other foods I can do that with, besides lasagna and soups. The freezer has really become my good friend during all this! =)