Anyone have Thyroid issues?

Options
I had really been feeling crummy the last year and put back on 50 of the 80 pounds I had lost because I was so wiped out. I just found out that my thyroid is all out of whack-which at least makes me feel better knowing there was a reason for the way I have been feeling. I just joined MFP about 10 days ago and I have lost 6 pounds so far. I just wondered if anyone has been put on treatment for their thyroid and how it affected your progress-good or bad. Thanks!

Replies

• jessluvscrossfit
    jessluvscrossfit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed in July due to thyroid cancer. I went through a rough patch for a month or two after because of radiation and not being on thyroid meds. Now I'm feeling better and back trying to lose weight. It doesn't come off as fast as I would like it to, but it is coming off. Sometimes I just fell like me having no thyroid hinders my success, ya know?
  • StephFork
    StephFork Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I had blood work done a little over two weeks ago and my thyroid came back a little low but still within the normal range. My doctor still may want to put me on a low dose of thyroid medication soon though. I will also be taking B12 Shots, Vitamin D, Iron and Fish Oil Pills. It all seems a little crazy to me to take so many things to balance out our system but I'm hopeful that it will work. Has your doctor suggested a B12 shot or other vitamins? I ask because the B12 shot is supposed to really help with your mood and energy. I don't know this yet because I have yet to try it. I just wanted to write and say that you are def. not alone and if you need support I'm here! You can friend me if you'd like a motivational Buddie! :)
  • melbellkid
    Options
    Thanks for your responses-wow...thought of thyroid cancer is a little scary-hope you are ok! I go to the Dr in 10 days to see what we are going to do-hopefully some meds or something to get it kicked back in gear-I am hoping there is something natural I can do that will help-I don't know if there is enough B12 in the world to help with the moods Ive been having lately! lol
  • Karamonster
    Karamonster Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for about a year. Once you get on levothyroxine(synthroid) it will take a few weeks to get back to normal. You will feel better and thief is a great place to get motivation. People such as me who have hypothyroidism can easily get lazy and feel very sluggish. Since then I have had so many health problems but I'm tired of letting them get in my way of being healthy. I started on here a week ago and I love it, hope I stick to it! Good luck at the doctor and add me if you want!
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

follow this link, there are lots of others using MFP with thyroid issues.
  • angelbeville
    Options
    Jessdun10, I have you in my prayers! My sister-in-law had thyroid cancer, so I know how tough it can be. She has one of the most positive attitudes I know, which helps a lot. Hang in there and good luck!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid and have been on meds since June. Its nice to know there was a reason for the weight gain...I also have IR and PCOS..to boot..

ITs not so bad..its knowing what to eat..and when to exercise..
  • jessluvscrossfit
    jessluvscrossfit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Jessdun10, I have you in my prayers! My sister-in-law had thyroid cancer, so I know how tough it can be. She has one of the most positive attitudes I know, which helps a lot. Hang in there and good luck!

Thanks alot.....I'm cancer free as far as I know. I was definately lucky!
  • Jermisha
    Options
    I had really been feeling crummy the last year and put back on 50 of the 80 pounds I had lost because I was so wiped out. I just found out that my thyroid is all out of whack-which at least makes me feel better knowing there was a reason for the way I have been feeling. I just joined MFP about 10 days ago and I have lost 6 pounds so far. I just wondered if anyone has been put on treatment for their thyroid and how it affected your progress-good or bad. Thanks!

I have a thyroid problem as well and I am on medication. Not sure how its affecting my weight loss since I recently just started.
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had follicular thyroid cancer and had my thyroid removed 4 years ago. Since then, I've lost 80 pounds on weight watchers. I have 30 more to lose and am using MFP. If you're interested in adding me, I'd love to have more friends! I take synthroid daily as well as vitamin D.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've been hypothyroid or over 15 years. Make sure you let your doctor know if you still feel off because it takes a while to get your meds correct . You are probably deficient in B12, vit D, and iron most of us with thyroid problems are so be sure to have these checked as well. You can lose weight but it's harder because of the imbalance. It takes a lot of patience but it can be done.