$20 to spend at Whole Foods: What would you buy?

So I bought one of those Living Social deals where $10 gets you $20 worth of stuff at Whole Foods, and the voucher is about to expire. I never go to Whole Foods (location is not that convenient) so I'd like to spend the voucher on some special items that my neighborhood Safeway and Harris Teeter wouldn't necessarily carry. Any suggestions? And please, no jokes about how $20 might get you a single apple... although Whole Foods carries some high-price items, most of their stuff is not truly expensive.

Replies

• I usually buy just hummus, and whatever local produce looks good. But if you're looking for special, they have a really nice cheese selection, that's what I get if I feel like splurging.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Ooh, I just did that, that was a great deal. :)

I think their flaxseed oil - the kind with a ton of omega 3,6, and 9 - is one of the best nutritional deals - it'll last a long time, and the nutrition is huge. I use it as salad dressing. :) I also like the raw coconut butter, it'll last forever.
  • plhv19
    plhv19 Posts: 46 Member
    They have a lot of great stuff in their 365 Organic line. Whatever you buy, get organic! That's the one thing I love about Whole Foods, they have so many organic options compared to anywhere else.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    I'd buy what I know I need and will use. Or, a big bottle of Nordic Naturals fish oil (costs around $50.00), you'd be getting a good bargain!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    I would second the specialty cheeses, or try to get a nice steak or piece of fish. Many of the special organic and natural brands they now sell in the regular stores or even at target.

They also have a nice store made dessert and bread area in my local stores- that is always my downfall in there.

Have fun!
  • i think Whole Foods has some of the best fresh fruit! I also second the suggestion for the 365 brand (it's Wholel Food's in-house brand). Applegate Farms also makes some good stuff -- I love their turkey bacon, deli meats, and cheeses.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    The store has sooooooooo many things. Spend time walking around and look for things you can't get at other stores.
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Ezekiel Bread (toasted cinnamon raisin with natural peanut butter is a very healthy, very delicious treat).
    They have great frozen veggies and frozen fruit in bags.
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Hands down, without a doubt, unless you are vegetarian, their boneless Chicken Breasts. They are like nothing you can buy in your grocer store, even the ones that say "natural, no added fillers". If I had the money I would buy them there every week. They are pricey but you can cut them with your fork. The taste is phenomenal.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Check out their monthly ad to see what is on sale and has coupons, to stretch that 20 as far as it will go!
  • This isn't practical, but I'd probably hit the salad bar! The Whole Foods closest to me has an incredible salad/hot foods bar. So many vegetables, beans, grains, to chose from, which makes it much more exciting than the salads I put together at home! :happy:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Ezekiel 4:9 Bread AND Brianna's Homestyle Blush Wine Vinaigrette. That vinaigrette is delicious and just 1/2 a serving goes a LONG way in making all your salads marvelous.
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Alright, I admit it, I was going to say "one" of something...lol Sorry. I LOVE Whole Foods, but yeah...expensive stuffs! If I had the $20 to spend there I would actually go crazy on the vegan food bar they have. I always consider that a huge treat! The food is always delicious, and it's so nice to have a delicious vegan meal that I don't have to think about. Yummy....now I want it. It's a 45 minute drive from my house, so I don't go often. Another suggestion, which is another thing I just love to do, is just go and give yourself an hour to look around. Every time I go, I find something new that I just "must have". Another reason I don't go often! :laugh:
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    I did the same deal and I got cheese, hummus, and gluten-free beer and bagels.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Lots of great responses-- I have a feeling I'll be spending more than $20. :)

The flaxseed oil is a good suggestion, and I'm really curious about the coconut butter. Is that more like a butter that you'd fry or bake with, or more like a nut butter that you'd spread on toast?

I'm not much of a cheese person, although I do need a new block of parmesean. I'd be willing to spend a lot on a good parmesean since it lasts forever.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    I love their kale chips
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    almond butter!!!
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    I like Enrico's pasta sauce and that's one of the few places I can find it! Santa Cruz organic tropical fruit sauce is also very good.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    I agree. Small amounts at the counter salad bar and soups. Love the salads with any type of squash and the quinoa salads yummy. (Love seafood but for some reason, usually not there)

Enjoy whatever you decide on!
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    The flaxseed oil is a good suggestion, and I'm really curious about the coconut butter. Is that more like a butter that you'd fry or bake with, or more like a nut butter that you'd spread on toast?
    I made my own coconut butter last night using unsweetened shredded coconut from whole foods (I used it to make vegan fudge). It is so good! I don't think it'd be good to fry something with--definently something to spread on toast or eat off a spoon :)

Edited to fix typo