Eating when not hungry

Options
Do you ever find yourself eating and realize that you are NOT hungry.

Why do you do that?

I do when :
1 - I'm thirsty
2 - I'm having lower abdominal pain/discomfort

I hate it!

What are your "triggers" for eating when not hungry?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    My triggers for eating when I'm not hungry are thirst and being tired. If I haven't gotten enough sleep I go carb crazy.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I often have completely insane food cravings independent of being hungry. Like right now I would kill for a whole wheat vegan burrito, while yesterday I just wanted squid.
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    boredom,. stress caused by school work, ie writitng a paper.
  • tambamis
    tambamis Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually stress eating, bored or the entire family is working my nerves.
    I've turned to hard candy and gum to combat this evil.
  • misty5976
    misty5976 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    MOVIES. idk WHAT it is, but I feel completely deprived if i can't have "movie food" when we have movie nights. Nachos, chips & dips, candy, POPCORN ... i feel such A NEED to munch in front of the TV - even if I've just eaten dinner. :( I've tried saving dinner - and eating my "meal" with the movie ... but it didnt help. I still wanted popcorn/sweets/chips.

HIGH STRESS OR HIGH EMOTION DAYS. Dealing with that a lot lately around the holidays (this is the time of year my dad died, and very difficult for me to enjoy the holidays without him).

FAMILY GATHERINGS. My family is big food lovers. Anytime we all get together, there's snacks/finger foods ... (we often do board game nights, where 10 or 12 of us will get together). Its hard to NOT snack when everyone else is. :( As long as I can remember, family gatherings have always centered around whats going on in the kitchen. It's like in high school when everyone gatheres in the "commons area" ........... for my family that area is the kitchen/dining rooms!

*sigh* can you tell im really struggling lately?
  • pirate4hire
    Options
    Boredom, stress, and overworked - in that order. Working on combating it by having water or tea. If I know that won't suffice then I'll make a cup of Constant Comment tea with raw sugar and toast lightly buttered. That combination seems to work wonders when I start seeking a before bed snack.
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    Mine is usually boredom. The other day at work it was slow and I was bored. I even said I;m going to go eat dinner, not because I'm hungry, but because I'm bored. I actually felt hungrier after I ate.