13»

Replies

• trilikeagirl
    Options
    Sushi tonight...BRING IT!!!!:drinker:
  • Rose200
    Rose200 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks Elizabeth. I copied your post to WORD and printed it for my purse. I love my sushi!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sushi rolls. In fact I just ordered for lunch. I wished I had had the benefit of your list before I placed my order. But I'm not gonna let it ruin my day. i GET TO EAT SUSHI!!!

And I love making it at home too. I sort of needed to make it at home once so I could be a better judge of how many calories I was consuming at my favorite Japanese restaurant. I just need to experiment a little bit more with different combinations.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    This is awesome information! I love sushi! Thanks for the tid bits of guidance. :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaK812
    AnnaK812 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Awesome post- great info!
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I knew I shouldn't've clicked on this thread ... now I'm seriously craving some raw fish.

Best sushi meals ever have always been omakase -- when you don't order off the menu, but instead ask the sushi chef to look after you. I had a friend who knew the sushi chef who opened up a great place in San Diego right before I moved out of state (sigh), and he had some awesome, whimsical presentations like salmon sashimi with paper-thin sliced lemons served in a martini glass (the salmon + lemon combo has since exploded into the roll scene).

Favorite sushi ever was in Jackson, WY, of all places. Bf and I were really skeptical, but our local friends insisted. Again, sushi chef was a friend of our friends, so it was omakase. Best dish was this thinly sliced white fish sashimi of sorts (I didn't quite catch the name), flavored with jalapenos, a drizzle of spicy sesame oil, and murasaki. O. M. F. G. -- it was melt-in-your-mouth DIVINE. I would happily drive 5 hours back to Jackson for more of that good stuff. :bigsmile:
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Actually I like pretty much anything on the menu at the local sushi bar.

My favorites are the nigiri sushi varieties spicy salmon (maki) rolls.

I also have a crush on that delicious ginger dressing they serve at sushi places.

And sake. Ohhhhh sake you are delicious.
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Totally craving some rainbow rolls now! :) Thanks for sharing this topic.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Avocado rolls! What's better is I can make them at home!
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I love vegetarian rolls! They are a little different everywhere you go. I also love yellow tail and good salmon. Being in Houston, we get access super fresh stuff!

My all time favorite would have to be one called the "Chicken Crunch" not really sushi sushi, but it's a roll with tempura fried chicken, cucumbers & avacado topped with panko. Unagi sauce drizzled on top. Sooooo tasty.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I love vegetarian rolls! They are a little different everywhere you go. I also love yellow tail and good salmon. Being in Houston, we get access super fresh stuff!

My all time favorite would have to be one called the "Chicken Crunch" not really sushi sushi, but it's a roll with tempura fried chicken, cucumbers & avacado topped with panko. Unagi sauce drizzled on top. Sooooo tasty.

Please tell me you don't go to RA
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    YUMM-O!!

Just finished a Spicy Spicy (tuna and salmon) and a veggie roll.

Zumba tonight should help with the extra spicy mayo cals. :bigsmile:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i can't wait to try fugu at some point.
  • michellyn
    michellyn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'd been in the mood for sushi, and this post put me over the top! But sushi isn't sushi to me without a California roll! I reached a good compromise--my sushi place offers a bento box with sushimi, half a California roll, a salad, and some canned fruit.

ordered it take out and made myself a nice pot of green tea, which I drank without any kind of sweetener (the tea also helped me feel more full and helped me slow down and space out my sushi). It wasn't a low calorie meal, but it was far better than many alternatives, (I like that almost all the food groups are covered) and it was worth doing a little extra exercise for.
  • pixiestix843
    Options
    I am really glad you posted this. Thanks for the Tips, I will probably only order veggie sushi rolls from now on! You are right I never realized just how bad they could be! Sneaky little suckers!
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    now my mouth is seriously watering i want some sushi so bad! the closest place is 45 minutes from here so i may have a little road trip in my future.
    I always always always get a rainbow roll. i love them so much. deliciousness of a california roll topped with heavenly slices! yes!
    DROOL!
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I loooove sushi! I think that tako and ika are best sashimi. Had no idea my favorites are so low in calories! Sah-weet! :)
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    veggie rolls! :drinker: i also love tempura. :blushing: most of the time, i just can't justify the price and too lazy to make my own. :grumble: