who logs house cleaning for exercise?

Options

Replies

• Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I do it for my weekly cleaning chore routine thingie...but as for everyday things like dishes, making the bed, etc, no
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'll probably log moving my new mattress from the downstairs room to the bedroom - that's bound to get me out of breath. But no, unless I'm properly scrubbing something or really exerting myself, I don't log it. I don't tend to do a lot of housework, my husband does more.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I may not break a sweat (very old house, very cold house, unless the woodstove is blazing :smile: )

I guess I will take it into account if it takes over a half hour, which it usually does.....

Thanks for the input!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I agree with the consensus. It depends on how long and how hard you work. I have a body media fit armband and it tracks any kind of movement as activity - moderate or vigorous - I'm assuming if I am moving longer than a minute. And there is a big difference in my daily calorie burns depending on those times.

Log it!!
  • JoshGouvisis
    JoshGouvisis Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I always end up having to clean something.. im a guy so you know lol!

It all burns calories, thats how i look at it. I take it a step further though, and monitor the time i am cleaning, and minus the time i get, or notice im becoming side tracked. So if i was cleaning for an hour, id say there is at least 15 minutes i wasnt. So i only credit 45. Duh right?!! LOL! Plus your walking around the house counts is seperate, and so is moving stuff. They all require more or less effort then others. So if you take everything, and brake it down to its proper account, it will all add up right :)
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I drink so much water that I log the trips to the bathroom, lol. just kidding

haha, that was funny! Sorry, I'm easily amused.
  • ariel419
    Options
    I log it if I'm working for at least 45 minutes vacuuming, mopping, etc. I don't log the daily stuff like doing dishes or laundry.
  • maradanielle
    maradanielle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i do on saturdays, since that is our "big" cleaning days and im usually up and down the stairs 20 times and from one end of the house to another 20 times since my daughter moves everything right after i clean it :)
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options
    I do big cleaning (vacuuming/mopping) so rarely :embarassed: and since it's so outside my range of normal daily activities that I most definitely log it!
  • MarandaPanda86
    Options
    If I am working hard enough to sweat, I log it but usually underestimate the time put in. For instance, if I am deep cleaning the house and I am cleaning for 3-4 hours, I will only log moderate cleaning for maybe 2 hours to account for small breaks or walking around to fetch things. But you definitely burn calories scrubbing!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I do, since I do not clean everyday it is an event when I do it once a week and it is about 3 hours long lol.
    This for me! lol! Also since I don't eat back calories it isn't hurting anything!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have done a couple of times. Once when I wore a HRM so I knew exactly how many calories I expended, and once because I had spent 5 hours bailing water out of my kitchen and that was definitely exercise.

I don't normally, mostly because I don't spend enough time doing housework for it to be an issue.
  • vxmittyxv
    vxmittyxv Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that is part of my regular routine. While I don't vigorous clean daily, it is part of weekly routine. Beside I figure the housework didn't stop me from gaining weight so it probably isn't going to help me lose it either.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i have two children thats all i have time to do sometimes so i do since my activity level is at seditary i log it as long as it takes at least 30 min or more i do not log the usual daily cleaning which is done about 10 min here and there but if i didnt log it i wud have to change my activity level to lightly active to active because im constantly cleaning and wrestling with my children(which i dnt log but i bet i burn quite a bit ther)lol
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I see this a lot. Personally, I don't long anything that I don't have to put on a sports bra to do...LOL! I realize it does burn calories, but I just consider that to be a bonus day, and wouldn't eat back the calories or anything.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I do for when I do my heavy cleaning. I'm pretty lazy and hate cleaning, so I usually save it all up for the weekends and end up spending a few hours scrubbing and carrying stuff up and down the stairs, etc. I usually log half the time (half the calories burned) so I don't overestimate. I don't log simple stuff like doing dishes, laundry, or picking up stuff around the house that I actually do during the week. Cleaning usually ends up being a huge task for me since I do it all at once instead of spreading it out through the week.

I also have my activity level set as sedentary - so I typically log anything that is outside of my normal 8-5 desk job, but I try to log conservatively.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    of course i do!! how else do you think i dropped 30 pounds and was able to compete in a 30 mile bike tour, a mud run, and a 5 mile turkey trot?

/sarcasm.
  • AylaBean
    AylaBean Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I log ANYTHING thats outside the norm. So if I clean more in that day than I have been in a while I will log it.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I don't for everyday things, but if it's something a little out of the ordinary...more work/more time, then I do.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Nope, only log my workouts!!