Burn calories for strength training

Options
I was wondering if we are suppose to put our strength training into our cardio so that it factors that in for burn calories or do I just leave it in the strength training section and that's it. Since it is a form of exercise and you are burning calories I think you should but I'm not sure. I've used this website a few months ago and got lost in my new exercise regimen, a lot of stuff happening, commiting myself this time (1lb. in a week lost) but need to know if that may be something I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Bug263
    Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if we are suppose to put our strength training into our cardio so that it factors that in for burn calories or do I just leave it in the strength training section and that's it. Since it is a form of exercise and you are burning calories I think you should but I'm not sure. I've used this website a few months ago and got lost in my new exercise regimen, a lot of stuff happening, commiting myself this time (1lb. in a week lost) but need to know if that may be something I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    If you put it into Cardio, it's there in the database. I do it! But I don't know how accurate it is.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    it seems putting it under strength is for a record for your log and memory
    getting credit for the cals you have to put it under cardio
    hth
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    While it is exercise, you are probably not burning all that much more than you would just watching tv or shopping. In my 30 minute routine, for example, I average around 100 calories burned, just watching a tv show and getting up and walking to the kitchen for water or the to bath room I burn between 50-75. Not worth logging the calories IMO, but do log the exercises so you have something to refer back to, and track your progress...
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to accurately track calories burned from weight training. I'll explain.

Even though you burn relatively few calories with weight training at the time of the activity, your body remains in a heightened metabolic state for up to 48 hours (depending on the level you are doing and the muscle groups you trained that day). This is because when you weight train you create microtears in the muscle, and those need to be repaired and grown after (there are more reasons then this, but this is the main one). So if you burned 100 calories for the 1/2 hour you trained, you may, in fact, burn twice that many over the next 2 days over and above your normal calories. Because it's extremely difficult to track those calories, and they are spread out over a long period, I would just say to track what you can during the actual activity, and just be aware that you are now in a slightly heightened metabolic state.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to accurately track calories burned from weight training. I'll explain.

Even though you burn relatively few calories with weight training at the time of the activity, your body remains in a heightened metabolic state for up to 48 hours (depending on the level you are doing and the muscle groups you trained that day). This is because when you weight train you create microtears in the muscle, and those need to be repaired and grown after (there are more reasons then this, but this is the main one). So if you burned 100 calories for the 1/2 hour you trained, you may, in fact, burn twice that many over the next 2 days over and above your normal calories. Because it's extremely difficult to track those calories, and they are spread out over a long period, I would just say to track what you can during the actual activity, and just be aware that you are now in a slightly heightened metabolic state.

if that doesn't make you want to lift, I dont know what else will...except that great "pump" you get from a good session...even doing 5 sets of max push ups gives a nice pump that motivates you to do some more, thanks
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    You should get a hrm to track your calories burned during your strength training. The less fit you are, the more calories you are likely to burn doing strength training- it's just harder for you and gets your heart rate higher. I have found it very useful! Hope this helps.:smile:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I was told that every min of strength training is 8 cls lost. It was hard for me to calculate as well because I do circuits.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    With a HRM I found that I actually burn MORE than I thought I was burning. Mostly during the squats part of weight training.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    With a HRM I found that I actually burn MORE than I thought I was burning. Mostly during the squats part of weight training.

how much are you burning? Whats the average.. and for how long?
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options

how much are you burning? Whats the average.. and for how long?

I do strength training classes that are 60 minutes long. I burn around 300 - 325 in the hour. I think I was estimating in the low 200s before I got my HRM. Squats, lunges, and bridges are where I notice my heart rate getting raised more than I had thought it would, which makes sense because those are the exercises that engage the larger muscle groups.