Finding myself in a funk

jakejacobsen
jakejacobsen Posts: 584 Member
He friends,

I have lately been finding myself in a funk. I just don't seem to care about much of anything lately. I force my self to eat. All I want to do is sleep. I know its depression, which causes my body to just hurt, of course that doesn't help the situation at all. I remember when I was alive, in side and out. I just miss it. I need to make some changes in my life to live life again. I haven't even left the house all week, all I do is watch tv, sleep, eat, and cruise mfp, I guess I did get out to take the dog for a walk. I am broke, no work in sight, and Christmas is coming and it just causes stress. Every one in my life seems to have bad things happening to them, I have a good friend who just had open heart surgery, one who had to have his foot amputated from cancer, my dads dog died and he is deeply depressed, and I don't even have the gas money to go see him. I have to get my butt up and out of the house, back to the gym, look for some work, and find some happiness.

So what do you do when you find your self in a funk to get out of it?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    He friends,

I have lately been finding myself in a funk. I just don't seem to care about much of anything lately. I force my self to eat. All I want to do is sleep. I know its depression, which causes my body to just hurt, of course that doesn't help the situation at all. I remember when I was alive, in side and out. I just miss it. I need to make some changes in my life to live life again. I haven't even left the house all week, all I do is watch tv, sleep, eat, and cruise mfp, I guess I did get out to take the dog for a walk. I am broke, no work in sight, and Christmas is coming and it just causes stress. Every one in my life seems to have bad things happening to them, I have a good friend who just had open heart surgery, one who had to have his foot amputated from cancer, my dads dog died and he is deeply depressed, and I don't even have the gas money to go see him. I have to get my butt up and out of the house, back to the gym, look for some work, and find some happiness.

So what do you do when you find your self in a funk to get out of it?

Couple of things you can do right off the bat:

Take vitamin D. Every day. It will help combat any winter-related factor, which does affect a lot more people than we realize.
    Try to get out of the house for a little bit every day. Even if it's just to walk around the block, or go to the grocery store. The more active the better, but if you can't get rolling well enough to actually exercise, just get out of the house.
    Crank up some happy music. Stay away from sad or angry music.

Then I would advise you to get some counseling. You're dealing with stress from lots of angles in your life, and it's hard to cope with all that. You're trying to support everyone around you and you're not saving enough energy for yourself. If you can't afford a counselor, most areas have free services available, and many employers are offering free counseling as well. Sometimes it helps just to unload what you're going through to someone who's outside the situation, and a counselor can help you with coping strategies and ways to take care of yourself so that you are stronger emotionally.

Take care of yourself. You're worth it.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    What you and ajbeans said hits home. Never knew about the Vitamin D thing

I get into this a few times a week. Went to my doctor. Feeling a lot better as he increased anti-depressants.

Positive song lyrics are great:

"Don't always look at the rain" - Howard Jones - good for a starter (as are a few tracks on Human's Lib album)
    "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow" - Fleetwood Mac
    Even the "Theme from Rocky" and "Flashdance" songs can kick it up a few clicks.

Start a bit of boogie in your step and dance to some of these songs and 'feel the burn' lol

There's nothing wrong with seeking help, and posting this probably already lifted you a few inches.

The thing is about quashing reasons or excuses.

'Not having enough money' never worked for me. I've only ever been to a gym 3 times for a workout, spent the money on shoes (which were for me a provision miracle - so not much $$ there at all), cut back on soda's which saved $$, used milk bottles with water for weights and walking, which is still free !

From March to Nov this year I have farewelled over 30kg (66lb) for good !

You can do this buddy ... up and at 'em, ok ?
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Good luck on all fronts.

To get out of a funk I usually do things that I regret later so I'll hold on giving advice.

You've done well with the fitness through much adversity so there's that.
  • Hey there!

I am sorry to hear that you are having a hard time right now, but it can get better! This summer I was also depressed, I never really understood what depression was until then.

I agree that you should go see your doctor about some meds, being depressed is like living in this thick smog that obscures even the most beautiful day. It can be very hard to get away from that.

One thing I did that really helped me was I started writing a list of things that I love to do. My list is still on going and I try to add to it often. I have simple things on the list like: "I love to take care of my body (put on lotion, paint my nails, shave my legs...)" or "I love to burn incense", or " I love to sing in the shower REALLY LOUD when no one is around". It may not seem like much, but when you are having a tough time or feeling in a particular funk, try reading over that list and doing one of those things that you love.

:D

And find someone to exercise with you! That is how I got into exercising in the first place, I was dragged into it (unwillingly)...
    Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.