Low Calorie Restaurants

Options
Anyone know of any Restaurants with Low calorie options and easily accessible nutrition information? I eat out at least once a day and its hard to find restaurants with nutrition information. I live in Oregon btw. Places that i frequent are:
Applebees (Under 550 menu)
Panda Express
California Pizza Kitchen (Their Cobb Salad 1/2 is bomb at only 575 calories)
Cheesecake Factory (Skinnylicious menu has pages of items under 600 calories)
Subway

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I posted this to your wall, but figure I should repost for others to see who are also looking for more options!

One of the best meals is the you-pick-two at Panera. If you get the blackbean soup and classic cafe salad with an apple it's about 300 calories!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Panera, Quizno's, Chick Fil A (or any chain fast food joint for that matter), Chipotle. Some localized salad chains and store salad bars also have good options with published nutrition info - Whole Foods, for one.

Panera is probably my favorite out of all. They have a huge selection of healthy options.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would like to find somewhere that doesn't count the light option as 5-600 cals. I hardly ever allow myself that much in one meal, certainly not on one course. I was amazed to find that in Pizza Express, the salads are about 800 cals. What are they putting on them?! The ones I make are 200 cals max. And a pizza leggera, which doesn't fill me up at all is 500 cals. I do wonder what it is restaurants do to food that makes it so much more calorific than anything I make at home.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I would like to find somewhere that doesn't count the light option as 5-600 cals. I hardly ever allow myself that much in one meal, certainly not on one course. I was amazed to find that in Pizza Express, the salads are about 800 cals. What are they putting on them?! The ones I make are 200 cals max. And a pizza leggera, which doesn't fill me up at all is 500 cals. I do wonder what it is restaurants do to food that makes it so much more calorific than anything I make at home.

I always wonder the same thing...I think they add butter to the butter. LOL
  • slashkiss
    slashkiss Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    LOL - I went to Jason's Deli with some friends a while back and one of the girls got their basic baked potato and it looked tasty so I looked up the calories and it was 2k!!!!! I don't understand where the put all those caloies. I know butter and cheese are higher in calories but I could put a whole stick of butter and a cup of shredded cheese on a potato and it wouldn't be 2k cals!!!!
  • sarahstolberg
    sarahstolberg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just ate Applebee's for lunch today (weekly lunch date with grandpa!). I got 1/2 sandwich and soup - for 850 cals & 3,000mg sodium!!! HOLY COW! I never really paid much attention before now, but WOW!

I am betting you can find something low-cal at just about any restaurant, if you know what to ask for. Unbreaded, grilled meats would be your best bet (and stick with something like chicken or fish), then choose veggies for your sides. For salads, make sure there is no dressing pre-mixed in, but get something on the side (like a vinaigrette).
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    I always find myself going to Chick Fil A, Subway or any fast food chain like MC Donalds or Burger King and looking up in advance their menu for calories. For example, I know I can't have a whopper meal so what I do is I have a whopper jr with no mayo and substitute the fries for small onion rings or side salad.
    Panda express I go with no noodles or rice and substitute for mixed veggies as my side. As for entrees go with the brocolli beef, string bean chicken, black pepper chicken or kobari beef.
    Love panera bread and their pick two deal. Get a half sandwich and a low calorie soup (like the chicken noodle) the meal doesn't go over 400 calories.

Any questions feel free to add me.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from any resturants and fast food. Its all bad for you pretty much. Its so hard to find anything with low cals at some resturants. I stick to subway usually if I can.
  • Kazzb87
    Options
    Nice! I'm going to try Panera, theres one close to my apartment! :-)
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Chipotle is pretty good if you get a burrito bowl, minus the rice is even better if you can, but they just started serving a brown rice. I'm still trying to figure out the answer to this personally. I've been struggling to find something besides subway to eat, I'm always starving an hour later.
  • anniewinter
    Options
    LOL - I went to Jason's Deli with some friends a while back and one of the girls got their basic baked potato and it looked tasty so I looked up the calories and it was 2k!!!!! I don't understand where the put all those caloies. I know butter and cheese are higher in calories but I could put a whole stick of butter and a cup of shredded cheese on a potato and it wouldn't be 2k cals!!!!
    In a baked potato their is Potato, onion, bacon, sour cream, butter, cheese...in short it's a sometimes meal
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I try to stay away from any resturants and fast food. Its all bad for you pretty much. Its so hard to find anything with low cals at some resturants. I stick to subway usually if I can.

Exactly... and the salt!! Urgh, some have up to 2800 mg of sodium per portion... Even sandwiches. You have to be very aware of what you order.

Pita Express has low cal and low sodium...
  • decofitwife
    Options
    I second chipotle burrito bowl!! I get mine with no rice no beans and it stays around 300 cals!!
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    As a few people have said Panera is a great option especially because they put the calories right on the menu boards now. Makes it so much easier to make a good decision.
  • LoriTommy
    LoriTommy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about dropping pounds, you really should consider "packing" your lunch. Everything is SO MUCH MORE when you buy out. They use really yummy breads...calories! Everything is so much more tastier than what you can pack...yes...but you pay for it in calories. It takes a little time to pack the lunch. Do it the night before if you must. My husband and I go out to eat dinner on Friday nights...The Outback Steakhouse. They have a nutrition menu on line you can plan your meal before you go. We REALLY try to eat breakfast at home and pack a lunch. If not...you'll get frustrated by not dropping pounds. Trust me, we ate lunch out yesterday and even though we "tried" to order sensibly...the calories REALLY added up. So...last night I spent an hour going to the sites you mentioned...and I did list a few meals from each that I would order when out. That list will go in my purse for the days I am out with friends. But the bottom line was...I'd prefer to eat a packed lunch, save money and calories. Loosing weight is NOT easy...and I LOVE to eat out..but I have learned I shouldn't if I want to be successful. Good luck.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I would like to find somewhere that doesn't count the light option as 5-600 cals. I hardly ever allow myself that much in one meal, certainly not on one course.
    Eat half, and take the rest home.

I agree with everyone who said Chipotle. Their nutritional info online & in-store is amazing, and their food makes it easy to hit my protein & fiber goals.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've been using an app called Healthy Out. You enter your dietary requirements, low cal, low carb, reduce salt etc and it gives you all restaurants nearby that have options meeting those requirements on their menu. Select a restaurant, then look through the options. Picking a food item brings up the nutrients.

Most chain restaurants are included but you won't find smaller mom & pop places. Essentially, if they have their menu online it'll pull up. It helps me a lot when I haven't been able to plan ahead.