Just Tried Kale Chips... :0(

Options
I just tried Kale Chips because people on here rave about them. I actually found them disgusting! They were SOOOO bitter!!! I baked them at 350 degrees for 10 minutes (until they were crispy but not burnt) and seasoned them. I am disappointed because I wanted a healthy snack but that was just gross!! Am I doing something wrong with them?

Replies

• Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    bump? Anyone cook them differently?
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Do you normally like kale? I like kale and kale chips. I coat mine in a little bit of olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake. I can't remember what recipe I use, one from a blog or something.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried those yet but a healthy snack I like is roasted chick peas! Yummy.
    1 can of chick peas (garbonzo beans) rinse and let dry
    a dash of olive oil and some salt
    roast in oven till crisp
    Really very good snack
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I just tried them for the first time last weekend, and I have to saw I was not impressed either... I love all kinds of greens, and was really excited to try these. I used a little bit of olive oil spray and then sprinkled it with garlic salt and mixed it with my hands to coat everything. I baked them for about 20 minutes at 275 degrees (because I had read things about how important it is to not overcook them, as they get bitter). The leaves got crispy, but the remaining center stems stayed chewy. They weren't bitter or anything, but I must say I did not eat the whole recipe... I was bummed out : (
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    Did you buy kale from a store? I know, silly question, but maybe the leaves were on the plant too long or treated with something. Kale is generally slightly bitter but mild like spinach, or should be. I worked as a volunteer in an garden co-op and kale was a huge part of the weekly baskets. They do have to be massaged with olive oil and sea salt to kind of break down the fibers. I've also used lemon or lime juice on them. Get your hands in there and rub the leaves with the mixture you use (add cayenne or any other seasonings - get creative!) then let them sit and rest on the counter for a half hour before baking them. Don't give up on them...they are pretty good!
  • Nharley
    Options
    Oh... make sure to remove the fibrous middle stem. Only use the leaf on either side of it to make the chips.
  • Nharley
    Options
    I'll have to try those chick peas! Yum!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to try the garbanzo beans too (although they certainly are not as low cal...)

Also going to give the kale a try one more time - the first time I removed the stems, but I think I will actually cut out the whole center (and also try the massaging and letting them rest prior to baking). I love it cooked so much, I am sure I just didn't do the chip recipe quite right... : )
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had kale before? It is a pretty bitter green . . . I happen to love it, but maybe you should be familiar with kale before trying kale chips. I dunno. Bump for roasted chickpeas!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Options
    Haven't tried those yet but a healthy snack I like is roasted chick peas! Yummy.
    roast in oven till crisp
    Really very good snack

OMG that sounds SOOOOO GOOD! I just bought some chickpeas in a bag to make homemade hummus (I am trying to eat cleaner so I am making most things homemade). I will have to try that too!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Options
    roast in oven till crisp
    Really very good snack

OMG that sounds SOOOOO GOOD! I just bought some chickpeas in a bag to make homemade hummus (I am trying to eat cleaner so I am making most things homemade). I will have to try that too!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I've read that you need to use the curly kale, not the straighter stuff, less bitter. Plus you have to cut out the spine of the leaf.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Options
    I've read that you need to use the curly kale, not the straighter stuff, less bitter. Plus you have to cut out the spine of the leaf.

I used the curly kind and cut out the spine. I guess it just doesn't agree with my taste buds. I'll stick with spinach!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If they're bitter you cooked them too long. If they start to turn brown you get the bitter taste. My grandson won't touch anything that looks like it might have been formed in nature and he loves them. I can never make a batch for snacking because he eats them as soon as they come out of the oven. Actually both grandkids do. I put some olive oil in a spray bottle and spritz it over them, then sprinkle on bbq seasoning and then bake them until they just start to crisp.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!! I thought I was the only one! I was told that I used the wrong kind of kale...but who knows. I looove steamed kale, but just not in chip form! I eat roasted seaweed for my chip cravings...I think it's much tastier than kale chips!
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    bumping for chick peas, I had the crispy kale chips last week at a friends, and wasn't impressed...
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I put one can of chickpeas in a bowl mix eith some spices anything works, and olive oil and bake at 400 until golden brown, delicious!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I really liked them but they are missing something. I am thinking I will try adding some paprika next time to give them more flavor. Maybe try playing with spices you like and seeking if you like them better.
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump - kale chips.. Mmmmm mm